Language and Literacy

Thank you.

I have found in discussions on this forum the definition of literacy is far less than consistent.

My co-workers and I were discussing this just yesterday, and it is a fascinating and complex topic. On the surface, literacy seems like such a self-evident thing, but it *so* isn't! Here in the lower Mainland, there are many First Nations languages that don't have orthographic systems--at least not ones that are codified. But they are rich story-telling cultures, so from that standpoint, a person could be considered literate without the ability to read and write. In fact, it's only from an English-language (or some other dominant language) baseline that questions of literacy or illiteracy would come up in the first place. How would such cultures evaluate a native-English speaking person unfamiliar with their language?

I'm finding so much as I get older that I'm critically unpacking so many of the concepts I formerly thought I understood. From my POV, that can only be a good thing. :)

My co-workers and I were discussing this just yesterday, and it is a fascinating and complex topic. On the surface, literacy seems like such a self-evident thing, but it *so* isn't! Here in the lower Mainland, there are many First Nations languages that don't have orthographic systems--at least not ones that are codified. But they are rich story-telling cultures, so from that standpoint, a person could be considered literate without the ability to read and write. In fact, it's only from an English-language (or some other dominant language) baseline that questions of literacy or illiteracy would come up in the first place. How would such cultures evaluate a native-English speaking person unfamiliar with their language?

I'm finding so much as I get older that I'm critically unpacking so many of the concepts I formerly thought I understood. From my POV, that can only be a good thing. :)

I totally agree. A language without an orthographic system must used another definition of literacy. Only in America do we equate it with the ability to read and write in a language. There are numerous languages that do not have an orthographic system, and those cultures still maintain and transmit an unbelievable amount of knowledge from generation to generation. They are most certainly literate persons.

Yes, taking a second look is always a good thing. And sometimes, even a 3rd or 4th. Anyone who continues to learn throughout their lifetime is placed in the position of oftentimes revising their opinions. Unfortunately, too many thing that learning stops when they get that high school diploma, and don't seek knowledge outside of an institution. Sad.

I totally agree. A language without an orthographic system must used another definition of literacy. Only in America do we equate it with the ability to read and write in a language. There are numerous languages that do not have an orthographic system, and those cultures still maintain and transmit an unbelievable amount of knowledge from generation to generation. They are most certainly literate persons.

Yes, taking a second look is always a good thing. And sometimes, even a 3rd or 4th. Anyone who continues to learn throughout their lifetime is placed in the position of oftentimes revising their opinions. Unfortunately, too many thing that learning stops when they get that high school diploma, and don't seek knowledge outside of an institution. Sad.

Like deafness - it's only sad when you want it to be.

I dont even use sim-com trying to converse with hearing people. I sign to them in pure ASL and they understand me.

Are you talking about hearing people who know ASL?

If yes, then that makes total sense.

Although I didn't specify, when I was talking about using sim-com I was talking mostly about social settings (e.g. a bar) where there's both deaf and hearing friends in my group, and the hearing ones don't know ASL so I use sim-com so everybody knows what I'm saying all at the same time.

Otherwise, I definitely prefer to use only ASL if there's no hearing people around.

Are you talking about hearing people who know ASL?

If yes, then that makes total sense.

Although I didn't specify, when I was talking about using sim-com I was talking mostly about social settings (e.g. a bar) where there's both deaf and hearing friends in my group, and the hearing ones don't know ASL so I use sim-com so everybody knows what I'm saying all at the same time.

Otherwise, I definitely prefer to use only ASL if there's no hearing people around.

Shows that you are honestly making an effort to bridge the gap. I like those who take action in accordance with their stated beliefs.

Even non-signing hearing people?

Yup. It's much easier this way actually.

The biggest reason is: They see me as an equal that speaks another language instead of "oh poor dude, hes disabled" then give me the blank stare on what to do.

That results in one of four things:
1.) They understand and do whatever I wanted them to do without asking any more questions
2.) They get paper and pen ready faster than normal and don't look uncomfortable doing so.
3.) They try to communicate with body language/better lip movements.
4.) (my personal favorite) They sign back!

#4 happens MUCH more often than one would think.

Much less degrading feeling, much more freedom as well.

Yup. It's much easier this way actually.

The biggest reason is: They see me as an equal that speaks another language instead of "oh poor dude, hes disabled" then give me the blank stare on what to do.

That results in one of four things:
1.) They understand and do whatever I wanted them to do without asking any more questions
2.) They get paper and pen ready faster than normal and don't look uncomfortable doing so.
3.) They try to communicate with body language/better lip movements.
4.) (my personal favorite) They sign back!

#4 happens MUCH more often than one would think.

Much less degrading feeling, much more freedom as well.
I asked, "even non-signing hearing people." If they sign back to you then they aren't "non-signing."

Back