Keep Austin Weird

Chevy57

Sherlock Hound
Premium Member
Reaction score
IMG_2088.jpg

I noticed some T-shirts at Hula Hut restaurant at Austin TX last night when I had visited at my friend's place.

what exactly does it mean? In part, it's a reference to "old Austin" of the free-spirited, somewhat hippy, bohemian 60s, 70s, and 80s. It's Austin pre-high-tech, pre-Starbucks. It's that laid-back, "do what feels good" kind of tolerance and weirdness

i know Austin TX well have visited every year in late 1990s to middle 2000s

It sounds like Austin has a bunch of those mom-&-pop businesses. These kinds of businesses are often unique and/or unusual. That's what separates them from the rest that are typical chain restaurants.

So, by going to those mom-&-pop businesses... you're helping them stay open. That's why they say, "support your local businesses". As long as you support them, they stay open... and continue to make Austin unique for having a bunch of them.

SPEAKING FROM SOMEONE WHO LIVES IN AUSTIN!
"keep austin weird" means a lot...If you live in austin we have soooooo many "weird/ different things" and everyone is very liberal and open like we have that one guy who plays his guitar naked.. and random events which are just weird! so austin is just a weird place but everyone here enjoys that.. so thats why i also have a shirt that says keep austin weird!

"keep austin weird" means a lot...If you live in austin we have soooooo many "weird/ different things" and everyone is very liberal and open like we have that one guy who plays his guitar naked.. and random events which are just weird! so austin is just a weird place but everyone here enjoys that.. so thats why i also have a shirt that says keep austin weird!

It's no different than Portland, OR, as they have the same motto, "Keep Portland Weird."

It's no different than Portland, OR, as they have the same motto, "Keep Portland Weird."

im sure its like any other state/city also... its just a saying..and its famous...well here in austin ..just like "everything is bigger in texas" theres shirts with those words also
not anything differently like you say!

Austin represent!!!!! 35 and Oltorf but we're moving to the Arboretum area at the end of the year. Always nice to meet fellow Austinites!

Leslie! I voted for him for mayor...LOL I love it when he wears the devil horns. LOL :giggle:

Austin's message of support for local businesses has inspired similar movements in other cities, including Portland, Oregon; Tampa, Florida; Raleigh, North Carolina; Ann Arbor, Michigan; Louisville, Kentucky; Fayetteville, Arkansas; Indianapolis, Indiana; Santa Cruz, California; Missoula, Montana; Albuquerque, New Mexico; and Boulder, Colorado.

Back