Justify?

VamPyroX

bloody phreak from hell
Reaction score
I took a psychology mid-term last week and recently found out yesterday that I got a "F". It was not just me but several other deaf students in that class. We met with the professor after class and after a heated debate on the word "justify" that was given in the question of the mid-term. The interpreter later realized that when she signs "justify", it means to explain, which was what we did when doing the essay for our mid-terms. It was not what the teacher was looking for. Since the teacher realized that it was a confusion based on a long-term interpreter error, he decided to re-read our essays and give us a grade based on what the interpreter said. He also said that he will emphasize what he wants before we do our finals, which is similar to our recent mid-terms.

Has anyone ever had anything like this before?

wow, what a noble gesture by the teacher. even though we are all human i am a little disappointed in your interpreter's preparation. life is all about getting it the the first time. this is a classic example of a terp not reviewing the material before hand. i understand everyone makes mistakes, but to misinterpret something on an exam shows lack of preparation. first a terp must analyze how the word"justify" is being used in the sentence. simply signing the word may not be enough, hence what happened to you guys. please reply and state the exact question that was on your test. i'm very curious to see it. btw, congrats on being able retake the essay. peace

Update:

I didn't have to retake the mid-term. The teacher was willing to review my test again using my understanding of "justify". Yet, I still got a "F"! Damn you professor! :fu2:

again i'm sorry about your grade, but IMO you guys needed to address this issue. your test was graded completely out of context and the professor did you no favor here. if some of your classmates had the same problem this should have been handled differently. it's simply not professional. first i don't see how an interpreter was unprepared for a damn test, then you get graded inappropriately. i'm sorry, but interpreter/ teacher relationships are most important to the deaf and hh student's education, especially an important exam. good luck in the future.

Originally posted by lfreed
again i'm sorry about your grade, but IMO you guys needed to address this issue. your test was graded completely out of context and the professor did you no favor here. if some of your classmates had the same problem this should have been handled differently. it's simply not professional. first i don't see how an interpreter was unprepared for a damn test, then you get graded inappropriately. i'm sorry, but interpreter/ teacher relationships are most important to the deaf and hh student's education, especially an important exam. good luck in the future.
I agree with you. My interpreter thought it was unfair as well. In my class, 1/3 of the class got a F for the mid-term so they withdrew the class. As for the remaining students, 2/3 got a D for the course. Some got a C. Few got a B and A... which were probably psychology majors or lucky.

wow, better luck next time. hey, times are changing and you have to be proactive, especially when dealing with your education. encourage your interpreter to meet regularly with your teachers, so they can be on the same page about things.
no matter how skilled the interpreter or teacher, it's a team effort. peace and god bless

how do you take the note? At my psychology course, I took note myself that professor put the display on the board ouput from the computer. It's make much easy for me read and write than rather listen my interpreter. After note, I go home and study to make more understandful between note and my book. Then I ask someone to make several question/answer, it's seem work out for me. I barely made 3.0, but instead I get 2.5 and I realized I had one point away from "B", damnit.

I knew of a friend who had a M.A and he would only demand the best interpreters that knew the right signs for his medical terms. He refused to book an interpreter that would misinterpret any medical terminology and cause any misunderstandings. He publicily signed with the interpreting talking to the hearing audience that since he was worthy of his M.A.. he refused to have an interpreter to lower his M.A by lowering his intelligent words into basic words simply because she couldn't understand some of his ASL. I had to applaud him for that.

Freaky said:
I knew of a friend who had a M.A and he would only demand the best interpreters that knew the right signs for his medical terms. He refused to book an interpreter that would misinterpret any medical terminology and cause any misunderstandings. He publicily signed with the interpreting talking to the hearing audience that since he was worthy of his M.A.. he refused to have an interpreter to lower his M.A by lowering his intelligent words into basic words simply because she couldn't understand some of his ASL. I had to applaud him for that.

That's was brave and great of him to do that because he was saying all those words himself and wanted to pass along exactly what he SAID, not MINCED by the interpreter. Good on him! :thumb:

Back