Just went bilateral this past Tuesday. Currently recovering....

AmyCy

Reaction score
The surgery went well. It hurt more this time around. Which I consider to be a good thing because when i got my left implant in 2004, I didnt have feeling in the left side of my head for like 4-6 months (I was warned of that possibility). I'm now off the painkillers because they make me too sleepy (I'd never thought I'd be so sick of sleeping), so now I am taking advil. The good thing is, I am not feeling any dizziness at all- which my doc and audi predicted would for sure happen (however, I havent been activated yet, so its still possible). The only complaint I have right now is the tinnitus in my ears- in both of my ears. I had that problem with my first implant, but it was accompanied with dizziness- and it persisted for months. so, I'm wondering if anyone else had that problem after being implanted- and any advice to alleviate the tinnitus?? Soft music doesn't seem to be helping much right now. :aw:

Never had the sort of problem you described, what I am surprised about is that you hear the tinnitus condition after implantation. My condition in the implanted ear disappeared after I was implanted, but remains in the unimplanted ear. What I usually do is preoccupy myself, and I noticed it disappears on its own. Another strange thing I noticed that closely relates to your concern is when after waking up without enough sleep, I can hear a sort of keyboard playing from the implanted side.

I had tinnitus when I got implanted. The ringing got louder as time passed. Once I got activated and was hearing sounds the tinnitus went down. It occassionally comes back at night but it's pretty much gone for the most part.

There is really not much you can do about it until you get activated.

Prior to implantation I had mild tinnitus in my left ear, but after implantation (both surgeries) it was significantly worse. My tinnitus consisted of 8 different sounds. JUst when I became used to one sound, it would change to another. My tinnitus continued post surgery (in both cases) for another 4-6 months before gradually subsiding. I'm now happy to report that tinnitus (in both ears) is only something that bothers me mildly from time to time. I don't have any suggestions for dealing with the tinnitus other than listening to "white noise" (generated by a white noise machine or a radio tuned in between stations). That helped distract me from thinking about my tinnitus -- I don't know if it will help you, but I thought I'd mention it in case it does.

yes I have tinnitus

I had tinnitus when I got implanted. The ringing got louder as time passed. Once I got activated and was hearing sounds the tinnitus went down. It occassionally comes back at night but it's pretty much gone for the most part.

There is really not much you can do about it until you get activated.

That is normal not bother you hurt to your hear nothing feeling well Soemtimes feeling normal or depend you feeling can hear.

well I GUESS THAT IS PROBLEM MY TINNITUS VERY BAD BOTHER COCHLEAR. i WONDER i AM TIRED AND I GOT SERIOUS BECAUSE MAKE SURE IT IF YOU KNOW LET'S MORE KNOW PLAN TIME. I NEED HELP WITH YOU TEACH ME HOW APPROPRIATE TO COCHLEAR IMPLANT. I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS CAUSE SICK VERY BAD HEADACHE.

Way to go with your 2nd CI. That must be great experience. I wished I was at least getting my first CI.

Wooot!

Does your tinnitus sound like airplane roaring in your ear? That's what it did for BOTH of my ears after surgery. I suspect that my ears were retaining the noise from the drilling. Kind of like trying to listen to same song over and over and over and over without stopping, and it stays with you long after it's "finished". The first surgery took a week for it to go away. After my second surgery, it took about 2 1/2 weeks for the roaring to go away. After activation for both of them, they went away. :) I don't know if it matters, but I have residual hearing in both ears after implantations, so it's probably much more louder for me than most people after surgery.

I just preoccupy myself, turn up the volume on TVs, while listening to through my left CI. It seems to help.

I kind of had that when i was recovering, but after 2 weeks or so i think, it went away. so

I must say that i am lucky that i haven't experinced any tinntius in my recently implanted right ear.

Back