Just how disgraceful

charlotte1

Reaction score
Yesterday I took my daughter out shopping we stopped for coffee and something to eat. While we were in the place a family sat at the next table with 2 kids. My daughter signs and speaks. We were using voice as my friend doent sign My friend who was with us and is hearing got into an arguement with the family over the kids mocking our voices. I couldnt hear what they were saying but read enough of their lips to see some of it.
We left the coffee shop luckily my girl didnt know what it was about but I havnt slept for the night my insides are churned up. I never came across a whole family of ignorant people before. My friens said that even after she had told them off the kids kept on doing it and the mother was laughing still and not stopping it/:rifle:

Yesterday I took my daughter out shopping we stopped for coffee and something to eat. While we were in the place a family sat at the next table with 2 kids. My daughter signs and speaks. We were using voice as my friend doent sign My friend who was with us and is hearing got into an arguement with the family over the kids mocking our voices. I couldnt hear what they were saying but read enough of their lips to see some of it.
We left the coffee shop luckily my girl didnt know what it was about but I havnt slept for the night my insides are churned up. I never came across a whole family of ignorant people before. My friens said that even after she had told them off the kids kept on doing it and the mother was laughing still and not stopping it/:rifle:

Yea...happened to me with kids mocking me which I can ignore but when adults mock me, that's when I become confrontial. I have had situations when I almost got into physical fights. The mother is being a VERY bad role model for her kids. Wouldnt be surprised if she tries to discipline her kids and they talk back to her. That's her bad karma.

Ignorance

I don't understsand why people do that! I, myself, am hearing but I have been studying ASL for amost 10 years now. There have been may times that I have been out in public, signing with either my Deaf or interpreter friends and have had people make fun of us, ASSUMING we were Deaf. In this case, since we were able to hear, we were able to understand what they were saying about us as well as see how they were making fun of our signing. After a few minutes, we turned around and confronted them. No big surprise, they wern't exactly expecting us to be able to talk or, at the very least, have known they were talking about us.
:jaw:

We gave them a good lecture and went along our way. I dont know if we made an impact on their lives, but we did what we could.

People are ignorant and this is why I do what I do. I started an ASL club at my university (which happens to be oralist *shudder*). I work with indivuduals to teach them not only the language but also, Deaf culture. I am in charge of bring in speakers/presenters to discuss topics revolving around the Deaf community and making sure that anyone on my campus will be able to better understand this culture that does not get it's name out nearly enough.

Thank you. To everyone, for all you do in the Deaf community and I hope, one day, I will be able to support you in any way I can.

:~: Signing Angel :~: _\,,/

Sigh...

Ignorance and rudeness are alive and well. :(

It's a double shame because the kids' mom didn't correct them. Feel sorry for those kids because they don't have a good example to follow.

Charlotte, your daughter will do much better in life than those kids will do. :hug:

This is really sad

It is really sad that there are people like that in this world. People tend to mock what they do not understand and the idea of learning new things can scare some people. I would venture to say that not only was this family ignorant, but if the mother was willing to allow her children to behave this way, they weren't very classy people at all. As a mother of four, I think it is very important to teach my children that we are all different. Even within our family we have different interests and abilities. Making fun of someone for their abilities or lack of abilities is unacceptable. All of my children are learning ASL with me. (I am studying to become a deaf ed teacher). I really find it important to teach my children the culture along with the language. When they are signing or learning new signs, I give them the background on the sign and I also inform them of the cultural rules they need to know. I am truly sorry you had that experience, I do think if I had been the manager of the restaurant, I would have asked the family to leave. I think your friend handled it quite well. I only have one thing left to say and that is Karma...what goes around comes around. People who do things to other people, good or bad, will always get what they have coming to them.

That is just awful on the moms part to go ahead and condone that type of behavior from her kids and laugh along with them. That family obviously has a lot of issues and the only way to make themselves feel better is to put down other people. I truly believe in "what comes around goes around", and when it does come back to them it will be 10xs worse. It may not happen now, but it will happen eventually. The mom was lucky you were lady like and did'nt get up and beat the crap out of her....lol. As for the kids, one day they learn the hard way that you just don't do that type of stuff because one day they will mess with the wrong kid and get their but kicked. I am not a violent person at all but that family needs a good swift kick in the but!:slap: I'm sorry that you and your kids had to go through that.

For anyone lurking,......situtions like these are exactly 100% why I feel that the majority of dhh kids should also learn Sign. Even thou a lot of us may have speech skills, we STILL sound very strange. We're hard to understand, we get teased b/c of the quality of our voice. Oral skills do not and will never bring full 100% equality to dhh kids.
I remember as a kid being teased, I remember people assuming that I was retarded b/c of the way I talked. Even now in college, I STILL sometimes get that attitude.....and not just from ignorant people.
I'm deaf yeah...........I sound weird yeah............
Oh, and I've dealt with dumb parents before. Sounds like they might be the type of parents who are all " Ummm who's President Bush?" or "he he he......look at how funnae America's Funniest Home Videos are!"

we STILL sound very strange. We're hard to understand, we get teased b/c of the quali

Deafdyke, i agree with you that the dhh kids should learn to sign no matter how good their oral skills are. As for having a strange sounding voice, most of the kids with CI iv'e met actually have very natural sounding speech. I was so amazed when i first met these kids and would'nt have even thought twice that they were deaf.

The guard must have vacated the gene pool of that mother.

I have to disagree with you here. I think these aren't the people who would say "who's Bush?" They are the people who VOTED for Bush.

It's unfortunate there are people like that, but there will always be people like that. It's funny to us to say "hopefully the kids won't breed." But in reality, they probably will breed than most of us here.

These kinds of ignorant things happen to all minorities. Being Asian, I've had my share. It's kind of funny actually because it usually involves people mumbling non-sensible mono-syllabic sounds to me. I can only guess they think they're mocking an Asian language. I remember once some kids did this when a school bus passed me by in Pittsburgh. Also a second time when 3 young adults drove by in a Toyota truck. LOL.

Alex

For anyone lurking,......situtions like these are exactly 100% why I feel that the majority of dhh kids should also learn Sign. Even thou a lot of us may have speech skills, we STILL sound very strange. We're hard to understand, we get teased b/c of the quality of our voice. Oral skills do not and will never bring full 100% equality to dhh kids.
I remember as a kid being teased, I remember people assuming that I was retarded b/c of the way I talked. Even now in college, I STILL sometimes get that attitude.....and not just from ignorant people.
I'm deaf yeah...........I sound weird yeah............
Oh, and I've dealt with dumb parents before. Sounds like they might be the type of parents who are all " Ummm who's President Bush?" or "he he he......look at how funnae America's Funniest Home Videos are!"

it happens to my family many times.. one time my bro whos a coda and my grandparents was with us and we use signs in Shoneys in Franklin, TN and there was a family mocked us and makin gestures etc and they didnt know my grandparents and my bro was hearing then my grandpa rosed and yelled at the family and say do yall have rights to make fun of deaf ppl while they dont make fun of ur race (they was black) and the other family gasped and paid for us and left feel like shitheads..

I'm really sorry to hear that this happened. It's really sad for me to think of how uneducated some people can be. It's disappointing to know that there are actually parents out there that will allow there children to behave in such a manor. People can be so ignorant and disrespectful.

i can't believe it people are being so rude and have NO manners to treat us when they don't know about deaf cultures scoffs

smh

I think it is sad and wrong that those kids could be so immature and mean about it. It is very rude and I don't think that they were raised right growing up.

Back