Just heard stupid thing from my co-worker...

i use the name tag at work at all times (under my name says "Fluent in ASL") it a lot easier for me and the customers. i work there for almost 22 years.
Do the customers know what ASL means? I doubt it.

I feel it should be an individuals choice to wear it or not... If it was me I probly would. I wear T-shirts and thought to Airbrush on the back of them Im Deaf, since people here are too stupid to realize if a person is Deaf after saying Excuse me 1000 times behind your back in the store and I cant hear them, then they get all pissy and reach around or push you instead of tapping on your shoulder to get your attention first. Normally I will say Sorry, Im Deaf and didnt know you were behind me. If they reach around or push me then I say Excuse me? then when they start talking saying they said this or that then I tell them Sorry blah blah blah depending on their attitude. Younger people are the worst, older people are more understanding besides younger people dont have the discipline we had growing up to respect others.

There were plenty of times when I worked in a supermarket that I wish I had a shirt that said "I'm deaf." Really ticked me off to be yelled at by customers because I couldn't understand them.

Laura

IMO, deaf employees should not be put in areas where the customers are. Otherwise, some customers always ask employees for help. If a deaf employee can't help the customer due to communication problem, the customer would be frustrated finding another employee who can help. That's bad for business. Usually deaf employees work in warehouses away from the customers or work late shifts when the shops are closed.

My purpose of this thread is about the story of what my co-worker told me. I just found it bizarre for us to wear anything that identify we are deaf. I’m not kind of person who screaming at the whole world “I am DEAF!” I’d rather be one of “regular joes” where everyone is same. My work don’t force me to wear anything that identify me as deaf and I was just telling my co-worker how I felt if I’m forced to wear.

I was just wondering what this community reacted to this. I guess I’m overreacted on this issue.

I have thought of taking off the support back brace that our work require all employees to wear during my break time, but there’s no best place for me to put at the receiving department. Only one way I can do is going outside and walk all the way to front via parking lot and I doubt anyone will bother me (unless some poor old lady need someone to load stuff in her car. lol).

My purpose of this thread is about the story of what my co-worker told me. I just found it bizarre for us to wear anything that identify we are deaf. I’m not kind of person who screaming at the whole world “I am DEAF!” I’d rather be one of “regular joes” where everyone is same. My work don’t force me to wear anything that identify me as deaf and I was just telling my co-worker how I felt if I’m forced to wear.

I was just wondering what this community reacted to this. I guess I’m overreacted on this issue.

I have thought of taking off the support back brace that our work require all employees to wear during my break time, but there’s no best place for me to put at the receiving department. Only one way I can do is going outside and walk all the way to front via parking lot and I doubt anyone will bother me (unless some poor old lady need someone to load stuff in her car. lol).
Walk around the public areas wearing your Mickey Mouse ears, and the customers will assume that you can't hear them because you have your hearing protection on. ;)

i use the name tag at work at all times (under my name says "Fluent in ASL") it a lot easier for me and the customers. i work there for almost 22 years.

It can still mislead. People would assume you're hearing and you can ASL also.

IMO, deaf employees should not be put in areas where the customers are. Otherwise, some customers always ask employees for help. If a deaf employee can't help the customer due to communication problem, the customer would be frustrated finding another employee who can help. That's bad for business. Usually deaf employees work in warehouses away from the customers or work late shifts when the shops are closed.

At my old job, I worked at a warehouse for 20 years and I dealt with manufacturer vendors, truck drivers, and some customers at will call (that already know how to deal with deaf people). It's not really big deal. But at stores, it's whole different ballpark.

I've noticed all my co-workers already have talkie-walkie - no matter what position you are - which I believe that designed to communciate with everyone especially call for salesperson to come and assist customer. I don't have it, I'm thinking of using the text messenger to alert the salesperson and I'm not sure what's my work's policy on that one. We were told to keep cellular phone in locker (yeah, I ignored the policy. :)).

...I've noticed all my co-workers already have talkie-walkie - no matter what position you are - which I believe that designed to communciate with everyone especially call for salesperson to come and assist customer. I don't have it, I'm thinking of using the text messenger to alert the salesperson and I'm not sure what's my work's policy on that one. We were told to keep cellular phone in locker (yeah, I ignored the policy. :)).
As a reasonable accommodation under the ADA, you can request to be issued a text pager instead of a walkie-talkie.

yes, this!
I would always bring a change of shirt when I worked at a gas station so I could go on a break properly. Otherwise people will bother bother bother nonstop.
Also, over time I've learned to:
1. never wear a blue lanyard to WALMART
2. never wear a red polo shirt to target
3. never wear a blue polo shirt to best buy

....because people will think I work there.
The last time I was at WALMART 3 different people approached me to ask me where something is. When I turned to them, only then did they notice my lanyard said "GO HAWKS" not "WALMART"... :roll:

But even with a new shirt, if someone recognizes your face, they may still think it's appropriate to ask for help.

Haha I was thinking the same thing when I started reading this thread. I wore a navy blue fleece jacket to Walmart once, never again. I walked in, grabbed a cart, a guy walked in behind me and took it from me :shock: Must have thought I was the greeter, I said "ooookay, you can have that one". People around me started laughing.

Meh, wear it not wear it, up to the person. I also doubt the person was made to wear it. If you get sick of telling people, I personally have no problem telling people I'm deaf, and just want to avoid the whole situation a badge wouldn't be a bad ideal. It's not like it's a dunce cap or something.

The story is – my work just opened a store nearby here and I took the job as receiving clerk. I took that position because I don’t have to deal with customers. I’m not excellent lip-reading or speak, so I can’t really help customers. One thing I really hate go to restroom or time out for lunch, I had to walk through store to reach it. I’ve been approached by customers several times already.

I told my co-worker (he’s customer service on the floor) about it. And then he told me about his last job which he had deaf co-worker. He said that his deaf co-worker wore a badge saying, “I’m deaf” and if a customer come up to him – he would point to his badge and then he’d find salesperson to assist the customer.

WTF??? That was stupidest thing I have ever heard. I told my co-worker if the company made me wear that badge, I’d quit. He asked me why and I compared it with Jewish that wore arm brand with David star on it before WWII. He seems to be baffled with my explanation. Then he said he thought it’s easier that way with a shrug. And then I said it’s not right and I can’t imagine any company force deaf people to wear that badge.

I wanted to hear your opinion – is it okay for deaf people to wear special badge saying “I’m deaf” during work hour? Is it cross the line? Am I being overreact on that one?

The way I see it, there is a good reason to wear the badge, and a bad reason to wear it, depending on the requirements of that deaf guy's job description.

If that guy is required to communicate with customers, then wearing that tag would make customers realize that they will need to change how they need to talk to you.

If that guy is not required to communicate with customers, then that tag may be considered offensive.

If I had my own company, and customer service is a high priority, I will do whatever it takes to make my customers feel comfortable in talking with all my deaf employees, including having pads & pencils all over the area, etc. Letting customers know up front that there are deaf employees would lessen any misunderstandings, etc.

I work with many customers, and things are always much smoother if I let them know upfront to make sure I have their full attention before talking to me. I don't wear a badge that screams "I AM DEAF", but I use a different approach: I tell them upfront.

In all my years of working, the only customers I've had an issue with communicating with me are men from the middle Eastern countries....but that is an entirely different story.....

In all my years of working, the only customers I've had an issue with communicating with me are men from the middle Eastern countries....but that is an entirely different story.....

I'd like to hear about it....:D

Laura

I would not have a problem with a small label under my name that said "I am deaf". I think it would make things a little easier for everyone. No neon colors or blinking lights tho!!!hahaha

I would not have a problem with a small label under my name that said "I am deaf". I think it would make things a little easier for everyone. No neon colors or blinking lights tho!!!hahaha

:giggle:....you know I was joking about the blinking/flashing lights :giggle:...(used to have one saying..."It's My Birthday"!)....perhaps just slipping on a jacket or a over ur work shirt and badge might help (?)....slip on a pair of sunglasses and do the moon walk outta there!

I know a deaf dood work at Walmart for a decade. He doesnt wear blue vest but does wear his name-tag. I havent really look at his name-tag but next I will.

I believe the correct term is dude.

I see nothing wrong with deaf communicating with customers. If people don't interact with deaf employees, how will they learn to interact with deaf people in general?

It depends on the individual. Some may find it offensive, while others won't.

I had co-worker (both of us were baggers) worked at a grocery store. I had a normal name tag, but his was custom engraved with "HI. MY NAME IS XXXX. I AM DEAF AND HAPPY TO HELP YOU." I think his mom requested it or had it made for him.

I see nothing wrong with deaf communicating with customers. If people don't interact with deaf employees, how will they learn to interact with deaf people in general?

Yes, it’s nothing wrong with deaf employees trying to help hearing customers. The issue is not all hearing customers are able to interact with deaf people. Some would feel intimated or don’t know how to communicate with us. It might discourage them from coming back.

The story is – my work just opened a store nearby here and I took the job as receiving clerk. I took that position because I don’t have to deal with customers. I’m not excellent lip-reading or speak, so I can’t really help customers. One thing I really hate go to restroom or time out for lunch, I had to walk through store to reach it. I’ve been approached by customers several times already.

I told my co-worker (he’s customer service on the floor) about it. And then he told me about his last job which he had deaf co-worker. He said that his deaf co-worker wore a badge saying, “I’m deaf” and if a customer come up to him – he would point to his badge and then he’d find salesperson to assist the customer.

WTF??? That was stupidest thing I have ever heard. I told my co-worker if the company made me wear that badge, I’d quit. He asked me why and I compared it with Jewish that wore arm brand with David star on it before WWII. He seems to be baffled with my explanation. Then he said he thought it’s easier that way with a shrug. And then I said it’s not right and I can’t imagine any company force deaf people to wear that badge.

I wanted to hear your opinion – is it okay for deaf people to wear special badge saying “I’m deaf” during work hour? Is it cross the line? Am I being overreact on that one?

Do you know it the guy wore that "I am Deaf' badge because he had to or if wore because he wanted to? I am baffled about you comparing this to the Holocaust.

What my friend said "He wore the badge saying "I'm deaf" and I don't know what company/store my friend once worked at and that they required deaf guy to wear it. I just felt outraged by that.

The comparison means similar with what Nazi did to Jewish – identify them as Jewish by wearing Star of David on their clothes. And I don’t want to label myself “I’m deaf” anywhere on me. If I wore it and I would be treated differently and I don’t want it.

i had a similar situation when i worked in retail, i was working on the shop floor, stocking up on stock and my co-worker shouted me which i did not know, baring in mind i wear two hearing aids and have to have my hair tied up for work, i didnt realise she had been calling my name, i walked over, her reply.. "are u deaf or something?"

is it just me whos taken it to heart??
was very sad and i left that place of work.

i had a similar situation when i worked in retail, i was working on the shop floor, stocking up on stock and my co-worker shouted me which i did not know, baring in mind i wear two hearing aids and have to have my hair tied up for work, i didnt realise she had been calling my name, i walked over, her reply.. "are u deaf or something?"

is it just me whos taken it to heart??
was very sad and i left that place of work.
I'm sorry that happened to you.

You should have said, "Yeah, I'm deaf, and you are something; something I won't mention because I'm not as rude and ignorant as you are."

Back