I've decided to finally learn to drive

:thumb:

but here's a thing - if you're not going to own a car or drive a car for quite a while after you get a license..... there's really no point in doing it now because what you learn will be rusty.

it's preferable that you do this if you plan on driving on more frequent basis so that what you learn will stay fresh in your memory and muscle memory.

I learned how to drive when I was 16 yo and did not drive for years and I did not forget how to drive.

My mom just turned 80 and never learned to drive. As kids, we walked everywhere. I had to stop driving for almost 4 years do to health issues. About 6 months ago I started driving again and it felt great. Plus even tho my car is almost 8 years old, it still feels new. As long as you brush up on the new driving laws, anyone can remember how to drive.

Go for it Mimsy, independence feels great!!!

I learned how to drive when I was 16 yo and did not drive for years and I did not forget how to drive.

I'm the same way. I'm a tough NJ/NYC driver, but I forget how to drive all the time when I move somewhere, and then I recover my skills somehow. You'l be fine, just don't change. :) If drivers are slow, FUCK them, honk and pass those assholes. If they cut you off, fuck them and give them the finger, speed up! Just be yourself when you drive. :) I'm probably the most worst driver in America, or the best. :lol:

Go for it Mimsy, independence feels great!!!

Independence! What a good word. That's what I'm aiming for.

I'm the same way. I'm a tough NJ/NYC driver, but I forget how to drive all the time when I move somewhere, and then I recover my skills somehow. You'l be fine, just don't change. :) If drivers are slow, FUCK them, honk and pass those assholes. If they cut you off, fuck them and give them the finger, speed up! Just be yourself when you drive. :) I'm probably the most worst driver in America, or the best. :lol:

Ok this made me laugh SO hard!

I've always been nervous about learning to drive a car, and I never really had to since I use the subway or walk everywhere, but I just now this second decided I'm going for it. Better late than never!

I'm sure there's many people in New York that feel the same way. Given the subways, and the cost of owner a car, you're clearly not alone. I remember when Michael Imperioli was trying out for The Sopranos, he had to learn how to drive because his character on the show had to drive Tony Soprano everywhere. When asked why he waited so long to learn, he replied, "It's New York, the train goes everywhere and you don't need a car." I'd go for it. Learning to drive is like learning to swim, it's a basic life skill everyone should have.

Laura

Here's my dream car. Not that I'm really expecting to have it, bit it sure looks safe.

2007_hummer_h2_luxury-pic-24316.jpeg

Here's my dream car. Not that I'm really expecting to have it, bit it sure looks safe.

2007_hummer_h2_luxury-pic-24316.jpeg

10 miles a gallon...nah forget it

I have 19 yrs of drivin experience...lemme give you some advices..dont drive aggressive and always follow speed limits. :D I have zero points on my drivin record. :rockon: I hardly drive these days thanks to gas prices. :roll:

I dont know if I could learn how to drive in a city like NYC :eek3:

Nah, here it's all stop and go stop and go. Too much traffic to be dangerous. I'm more scared of country roads where it's so dark at night.

I've been scared to learn because I used to have panic attacks in stressful situations and I was always scared I'd have one driving a car. But I'm on an ant-anxiety drug now and it helps very much. So I'm getting braver to do more things.

Yeah, at $4 a gallon, I could never afford a Hummer, but if gas prices ever miraculously go down to, say, $1 a gallon, I'll be saving my money to buy that baby!

I have 19 yrs of drivin experience...lemme give you some advices..dont drive aggressive and always follow speed limits. :D I have zero points on my drivin record. :rockon: I hardly drive these days thanks to gas prices. :roll:

Drive in city is easy for me due to nature of asshole.

I thought people of Ohio drives 20 mph below speed limit. :P

Nah, here it's all stop and go stop and go. Too much traffic to be dangerous. I'm more scared of country roads where it's so dark at night.

I've been scared to learn because I used to have panic attacks in stressful situations and I was always scared I'd have one driving a car. But I'm on an ant-anxiety drug now and it helps very much. So I'm getting braver to do more things.

Yeah, at $4 a gallon, I could never afford a Hummer, but if gas prices ever miraculously go down to, say, $1 a gallon, I'll be saving my money to buy that baby!

Maybe it's not a good idea for you to drive in California where we all are very aggressive driver and drives 20 mph above speed limit. :D I had a friend from Conn. came down here for visit and he was so nervous when I was driving around Los Angeles area. lol

Back