It's my way or the Highway

Yes, all deaf/hoh should learn ASL as their first language.

I wished my parents learnt BSL from start and allow me to use it. I did learn BSL from young age but away from home without my parents there because at time they didn't approve of BSL thinking it will affect my speech and be like one of signing kids that can't speak. In my whole life I never ever had proper conversation with them and still don't. I can't tell them what I think or feel or what happened in day or interesting programme I saw on TV or anything like that even now.

I wished my parents learnt BSL from start and allow me to use it. I did learn BSL from young age but away from home without my parents there because at time they didn't approve of BSL thinking it will affect my speech and be like one of signing kids that can't speak. In my whole life I never ever had proper conversation with them and still don't. I can't tell them what I think or feel or what happened in day or interesting programme I saw on TV or anything like that even now.

Its interesting how similar our desire is to learn ASL at an early age. Despite our difference in background and parental influences.

Speedy hawk, you have a very different set of parents from what I had yet we still come together with the same thinking and desires for ASL. We are stronger when we stand together as a community. No other group of people can bridge international boarders like we can. We are truly an international community.

Its interesting how similar our desire is to learn ASL at an early age. Despite our difference in background and parental influences.

Speedy hawk, you have a very different set of parents from what I had yet we still come together with the same thinking and desires for ASL. We are stronger when we stand together as a community. No other group of people can bridge international boarders like we can. We are truly an international community.

Yeah, sign language brings people together. It natural langauge for the deaf and it same all over the world, no matter where you are.

I agree.

It is only natural that deaf want to spend time with other deaf. Especially when deaf can relax and not work so hard at communicating. It's one of the reason I think education of the deaf should be only with ASL. Why should I work extra hard to understand the teacher? Lets use the best mode of communication so I can expend my brain cells on more important things like learning. On the other hand, I did learn that my own imagination is far more interesting that whatever the oral teacher was saying. :) :deaf: :wave:

Social psychology research has shown that "birds of a feather" is accurate when people decide who to have relationships with and to interact with. The old saying "opposites attract" is actually a myth. While there may be some attraction initially, the relationship seldom endures. This applies to all types of relationships.

Associating with those who share our life experience is a very real human need. That is why support groups are so successful.

Yeah, sign language brings people together. It natural langauge for the deaf and it same all over the world, no matter where you are.

it being the natural language of the Deaf, yes, but sign is different from location to location. BSL is different from ASL, which is different from Auslan, which is different from French and so forth.

Social psychology research has shown that "birds of a feather" is accurate when people decide who to have relationships with and to interact with. The old saying "opposites attract" is actually a myth. While there may be some attraction initially, the relationship seldom endures. This applies to all types of relationships.

Associating with those who share our life experience is a very real human need. That is why support groups are so successful.

:hmm: I guess the saying opposites attract is an old wives tales.

Well, that just pops one of my myth bubbles!!! Here I was blaming my failed marriage on my ex-wife (well it couldn't have possibly been my fault could it? :shock: j/k). Maybe for my next attempt I need to find someone more like... me? :cool2:

In all seriousness, I guess I never really thought of relationships in those terms. I just blindly bought into the idea that opposites attract and never questioned it. Why oh Why did I stumble on this web site!!! you guys make me think too much! :hmm:

Well, that just pops one of my myth bubbles!!! Here I was blaming my failed marriage on my ex-wife (well it couldn't have possibly been my fault could it? :shock: j/k). Maybe for my next attempt I need to find someone more like... me? :cool2:

In all seriousness, I guess I never really thought of relationships in those terms. I just blindly bought into the idea that opposites attract and never questioned it. Why oh Why did I stumble on this web site!!! you guys make me think too much! :hmm:

At least you think when encountering something that shakes up your comfort level a bit. Too many around here just argue that there experience has to be the way it is for everyone!:giggle:

At least you think when encountering something that shakes up your comfort level a bit. Too many around here just argue that there experience has to be the way it is for everyone!:giggle:

Thanks! Usually I don't stay on sites like this very long. Usually I find a site, everyone is all saying the same thing so I just walk back out again. I like the fact that you guys make me think. I figure the day I stop thinking is the day I die.

it being the natural language of the Deaf, yes, but sign is different from location to location. BSL is different from ASL, which is different from Auslan, which is different from French and so forth.

Yes, I know that. ASL is very different from BSL, saw some YouTube videos and film called Children of Lesser God. Auslan is very similiar to BSL, I can understand Auslan, some signs are different.

Thanks! Usually I don't stay on sites like this very long. Usually I find a site, everyone is all saying the same thing so I just walk back out again. I like the fact that you guys make me think. I figure the day I stop thinking is the day I die.

So much for us "contentious people running members off"!:laugh2:

And I agree. Never, ever give up your open mindedness and willingness to learn. The day you think you have learned all there is to learn is the day you start making fatal mistakes in judgement and limit yourself.

Yet, with a little effort, we can still understand each other, because we share simiiar, if not the same, values and perspectives. I write from experience, I am learning Auslan, ASL, and ThSL (and I can understand BSL some too), yet I still have a long way to being fluent in any of them.

Back