It it really the deaf/Deaf community?

This feels very judgemental again. Who is "they", and what do you think "they" are trying to do to you? Will you explain how this post isn't mean to offend CI parents and users?

Right, I think the word 'they' in that spirit should be avoided, too.

When 'hearing parents' and 'deaf people' or whatever 'they' are, are used in generalism, we forget how diverse we can be in our opinions and life experience!

For example, jillio is one of the hearing parents. She made different choices about her child from what faire jour did with her Miss Kat. They both are hearing parents.

:ty:
*stepping off my soapbox*

It's still a good topic to discuss and there will probably never be an agreement between both sides on a common ground.

I disagree with you ~ we can always agree to disagree on these things! :hmm:

Right, I think the word 'they' in that spirit should be avoided, too.

When 'hearing parents' and 'deaf people' or whatever 'they' are, are used in generalism, we forget how diverse we can be in our opinions and life experience!

For example, jillio is one of the hearing parents. She made different choices about her child from what faire jour did with her Miss Kat. They both are hearing parents.

:ty:
*stepping off my soapbox*

Thank you. That is why I have asked several times for posters not to use "they" statements, but to use "I" statements. :ty:

Exactly. And they are entitled to be satisfied with their life in whatever way they find best suited to them.

That applies to everyone in the whole blessed world; within humane means, that is. :P

Thank you. That is why I have asked several times for posters not to use "they" statements, but to use "I" statements. :ty:

YW!

If I didn't know the topics well, I'd think 'they' referred to extraterrestials! :hmm: They are ruling the world secretly! Ahhh!

Right, we gotta take responsibility for our opinions and experience and make room for others to have their own.

I've been listening. Very, very cool to read personal, heartfelt stories here.

YW!

If I didn't know the topics well, I'd think 'they' referred to extraterrestials! :hmm: They are ruling the world secretly! Ahhh!

Right, we gotta take responsibility for our opinions and experience and make room for others to have their own.

I've been listening. Very, very cool to read personal, heartfelt stories here.

You have been paying attention!:P

The insurance companies doesn't want to insure deaf people because they are afraid that the deaf person will drop the insurance after getting the implant. I wonder if it is because they raised the premium after the implant. There are two other companies who said they will take me if I paid the higher premium. I don't like that - having to pay higher premium, knowing that I will never go for CI.

Personally, I have never heard of a CI user being denied insurance or having to pay higher premiums because of their CI.

Yes, CI users will be discriminated as well as hearing aid users. If hearing aids didn't help the deaf people to be on equal footing with hearing people then why CI will do that instead??? It can break down. It is costly. One will have to take more time off work due to surgery, mapping, etc. I see CI is the same as HA but much more costly and much more risky to one's life.

The CI allows many (notice I did not say all) d/Deaf people to perform job tasks they would normally have difficulty with because of their inability to hear (particularly late-deafened individuals who do not know sign). For example, doing phone work, participating in meetings, communicating with co-workers, etc. While all of these things can be done using relay, an interpreter or realtime captioning, many CI users feel limited by these accommodations which is one reason why they chose to receive an implant. If anything, the CI *increases* one's employability since there is generally less need for accommodations. (For example, prior to receiving my CIs, I required the use of a tactile interpreter and Braille realtime captioning for meetings at my field placement. Now that I have CIs, the only accommodations I need are an FM system and either a tactile interpreter or Braille realtime captioning when background noise is a problem.)

As for the CI "breaking down," CIs are warrantied for 10 or 20 years (I can't remember which). If a CI fails, a person is re-implanted with the most current, up-to-date implant. As for speech processors failing, most CI users are given two speech processors (or four if they have bilateral CIs). If a person only has one speech processor and it fails, each of the 3 CI companies can send a new/refurbished processor overnight via FedEx.

If a person has a CI manufactured by Advanced Bionics or Med-El, they do not incur any extra costs related to batteries. Neither do those who have a Cochlear CI -- unless they chose to use disaposeables. In that case, many Cochlear CI users I've talked to have said that they consider the cost of disposeable batteries a small price to pay given how much they've gained in their ability to hear.

As for taking time off of work, many people return to work following CI surgery anywhere from a few days to a week or two. I've also known many CI users who use their vacation days so they don't end up losing any pay. In regards to missing work for mappings, yes, frequent maps are required during the first year of implantation (3, 6, 9 and 12 months post activation). However, after the first year, a person only needs to see their CI audi once or twice a year.

Why do you think a CI is risky to one's life? I've had my first CI for the past 4 years and haven't suffered any health problems or other difficulties related to my implants.

Having said all of this, I completely respect your decision not to receive a CI.
i

Nah, that's the New World Order. :lol::shock:

No! It's not the World Wrestling Federation?!
*ahem* Back to topic!

Hear Again, how lovely to hear that bit about respecting my choice to not get CI for myself, that is, I assume you were referring to those of us who made this choice for ourselves. I do respect your choice to get CI wholeheartedly. We will always have Obama! hehe

Uh oh! I think we got off topic for a bit still?! :shock:

*ahem*

Yeah, I'd like to avoid telling each other "you're wrong, etc etc" as well. I think ultimately when we still have different views, we can always agree to disagree. I find it uncomforable to engage in a discussion when it's rife with sarcasm, belligerent tones, and passive aggression. I just tend to lose interest and 'let' peeps duke it out until one of the unfortunate moderators have to step in and close the particular thread. This thread is very illuminating for sure!

No! It's not the World Wrestling Federation?!
*ahem* Back to topic!

Not what you're thinking of (more of a cabal of wealthy families that control the world) but I don't want to derail this any further.

One thing I have noticed that even if we all have different thoughts on one subject, we share similarities in some areas.

For example, Boult and Hear Again have CI while BradB08 and I do not -- but we all are Democrats. Reba is a hearing Republican and I am a deaf Democrat but we both are very pro-ASL if I am not mistakened. Funny mix there, huh?

One thing I have noticed that even if we all have different thoughts on one subject, we share similarities in some areas.

For example, Boult and Hear Again have CI while BradB08 and I do not -- but we all are Democrats. Reba is a hearing Republican and I am a deaf Democrat but we both are very pro-ASL if I am not mistakened. Funny mix there, huh?

Excellent, Liza! That is exactly what we need to be looking for here. The commonalities, not the differences.

I highly doubt any deaf person likes being deaf because of disadvantages they have. That's an unrealistic statement. Perhaps some people like being deaf for reasons of their own, but because of disadvantages ??

Is it an advantage to hear a baby cried in the church (especially at very high pitch - the kind that hurts the ears)??? Is it an advantage to put up with noisy neighbors? Is it an advantage to listen to someone's chair squeaking. Is it an advantage to listen to other people yakking nearby while you are trying work? It is advantage for me to take off hearing aids in those stituations.

Thomas Edison liked his deafness as it enabled him to totally focus on whatever he was working on.

Hear Again, how lovely to hear that bit about respecting my choice to not get CI for myself, that is, I assume you were referring to those of us who made this choice for ourselves. I do respect your choice to get CI wholeheartedly. We will always have Obama! hehe

Thanks, Liza! :) Yes, if someone chooses not to get a CI, I respect their decision 100%. CIs aren't for everyone. When d/Deaf people ask me whether or not I think they should get a CI, my answer always is, "Only you can make that decision. Just because the CI is right for me doesn't mean it's the right decision for you." One of the reasons why I decided to get a CI was because of how slow some alternative communication methods were for me to use (namely print on palm and Braille/raised print alphabet card). More importantly, I chose to get a CI for my own personal safety (I'm totally deafblind and when I travel outdoors, I would often veer into traffic when using my white cane. I also have a guide dog, so this isn't a problem when traveling with her, but still...).

I want to thank you for respecting my decision to get a CI. :) When it comes to these CI debates, I think alot of arguments can be avoided if we (hearing parents, d/Deaf individuals and the Deaf community) meet each other halfway with a little understanding and respect for the decisions we choose to make for ourselves.

And you're right -- we still have Obama! :giggle:

Thanks, Liza! :) Yes, if someone chooses not to get a CI, I respect their decision 100%. CIs aren't for everyone. When d/Deaf people ask me whether or not I think they should get a CI, my answer always is, "Only you can make that decision. Just because the CI is right for me doesn't mean it's the right decision for you." One of the reasons why I decided to get a CI was because of how slow some alternative communication methods were for me to use (namely print on palm and Braille/raised print alphabet card). More importantly, I chose to get a CI for my own personal safety (I'm totally deafblind and when I travel outdoors, I would often veer into traffic when using my white cane. I also have a guide dog, so this isn't a problem when traveling with her, but still...).

I want to thank you for respecting my decision to get a CI. :) When it comes to these CI debates, I think alot of arguments can be avoided if we (hearing parents, d/Deaf individuals and the Deaf community) meet each other halfway with a little understanding and respect for the decisions we choose to make for ourselves.

And you're right -- we still have Obama! :giggle:

No thanks necessary - it's absolutely unconditional on my part on respecting somebody's right to get CI or not. I liked your statement that I bolded out. Makes a world of sense!

I totally can see your point about needing CI for your own safety and other personal reasons you may also have on your laundry list. I remember having participated in a db workshop where we had to wear googles and use a cane to find our way around. Boy, was it hard!

Obama! Obama! :lol:

To make this even more weird, I'm hearing, a liberal Republican, and I support both the use of ASL and an individual's choice to get CI. :)

Funny mix indeed, Liza. :cool2:

To make this even more weird, I'm hearing, a liberal Republican, and I support both the use of ASL and an individual's choice to get CI. :)

Funny mix indeed, Liza. :cool2:

That makes life very interesting.
Wait a minute.. whaddaya mean, you're voting for McCain?

:lol:

No, I'm teasing you! Actually it is a relief to know we do have a common ground. Thank you for being pro-ASL, OB! I don't know what I would have done without ASL.

Back