Is there anyway to stop sound flow working when I am cycling?

NaidaUP

Reaction score
I'm really into cycling but I hate the fact, my Naidas go into directional mode due to the 'noise' which means I can't hear things behind me. I can hear when I turn my head and then I get a shock when I hear and see a car right behind me.

What do other people do? :)

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

What about putting a headband over the HAs (covering the mics)? That might reduce the noise enough to help?

Also talk to your audie - maybe you can set up something that will work.

Going to speak to Audi as well but want to hold off as I have been feeling like I've been going all the time in the last few months.

Very happy with how my aids/ComPilot are set up, it's just the problem with cycling.

I ride on the other side of road. I can see oncoming cars this way. none of my HA's will let me hear sounds behind me.

Can't you change the mode of your hearing aids?

I have a digital hearing aid and it is set up with 3 modes... regular, crowd, and MTV.

Regular is the "improved" anti-feedback and anti-static mode. It improves the quality of regular sounds and reduces the volume and quality of feedback and static noise. It's good for when you're listening to another person talk. Only problem is that it considers blowing air and music as static and feedback... causing it to be reduced. It does cause a weird sound when I'm driving my car with my windows down or with my CDs playing.

Crowd is like regular, but with crowd noise control. It reduces the sound of the crowd while focusing on the person talking in front of me. Good for places like in restaurants.

MTV is like analog hearing aids with no anti-feedback or anti-static. It takes in every sound. Why "MTV"? Music Television... because sounds from music and television aren't considered as feedback and I can hear everything without any sound adjustments.

So, if I were you riding a bike... I would use MTV mode because I won't get the weird wind-blowing feedback or the cars passing by feedback. I would hear everything as it is heard.

Can your hearing aids do that?

Yes my Naidas can do that. I'm not really a person who likes programs but was thinking about asking for a program with everything turned off. I'm hoping my aids won't feedback especially my left as even with brand new molds and feedback control to max, they still feedback like mad. Drives me crazy.

I ride on the other side of road. I can see oncoming cars this way. none of my HA's will let me hear sounds behind me.
That's illegal in some states. Bicycles have to follow the laws of the road.

Yes my Naidas can do that. I'm not really a person who likes programs but was thinking about asking for a program with everything turned off. I'm hoping my aids won't feedback especially my left as even with brand new molds and feedback control to max, they still feedback like mad. Drives me crazy.

so turn it off........ :aw:

I'm really into cycling but I hate the fact, my Naidas go into directional mode due to the 'noise' which means I can't hear things behind me. I can hear when I turn my head and then I get a shock when I hear and see a car right behind me.

get a mirror. I see many cyclists with this in NYC.

cycleaware_mirror.jpg

That's illegal in some states. Bicycles have to follow the laws of the road.

Illinois is one of them — bikes on same side of powered vehicles (motorcycles, cars, etc.). Walk facing traffic.

I no longer ride a bicycle regularly but do still have one with a rearview mirror on the handlebar.

I was assuming he already used bike and helmet mirrors. Maybe not. :dunno:

ah - this comment was a hint. that's why.

I can hear when I turn my head and then I get a shock when I hear and see a car right behind me.

Illinois is one of them — bikes on same side of powered vehicles (motorcycles, cars, etc.). Walk facing traffic.

I no longer ride a bicycle regularly but do still have one with a rearview mirror on the handlebar.
I've always had mirrors on my bikes. Even hearing people can't depend on accurately hearing vehicles coming up behind them, especially in heavy traffic.

Nadia - I think you should be more reliant on your perception instead of hearing to create a situational awareness. I'm a full-time motorcyclist and I commute to NYC on daily basis. I hear nothing while riding. I've encountered at least dozens potentially dangerous situations which can lead to accidents but I've avoided it - "defensive driving".

If hearing is your primary sense for situational awareness, then you're in trouble. I'm getting a sense that you may have an anxiety issue for not being able to hear something and getting surprised by it. But let's face it - every walker, cyclist, motorcyclist, and driver get a surprise here and there because we didn't know somebody was there or expect it. I do too. Just keep your cool and pay more attention. Create a 360 degree situational awareness (aka spider sense based on your visual, smell, feel, instinct, common sense, etc).

Example - if you smell a tire burning, it obviously means somebody just hit a hard brake and you'll need to be very alert.
Example - if you're behind a person driving a little erratic, he/she is either lost and looking for an address or is very distracted with texting/cellphone and that means you'll have to be more alert because he/she can veer into your path or cut in front of you at right turn by accident because he/she didn't know you were there.

Ride safe! :cool2:

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

Riding on the wrong side of the road is also illegal throughout Canada

When jogging, it is recommended you jog the opposite direction of the road. (I don't mean on the road, but on the side like sidewalk or whatever.) That way, you can always see what's going on. My brother didn't take this advice and ended up getting hit in the back of the head by an extended side mirror. Ouch!

I cycle almost everyday and I don't wear my hearing aids because traffic is just way too noisy. I check behind me a lot and I also am looking into getting a mirror...haven't got around to it yet. You shouldn't rely on your hearing to bike just like jiro said..it's a bad idea to rely on your ha's to alert you.

When jogging, it is recommended you jog the opposite direction of the road. (I don't mean on the road, but on the side like sidewalk or whatever.) That way, you can always see what's going on. My brother didn't take this advice and ended up getting hit in the back of the head by an extended side mirror. Ouch!
Yes, pedestrians face traffic. Bicycles don't.

Back