is there an interpretator appreciation day?

shengchieh

Reaction score
I know there is a secretary's day, a square dance day, black history month, etc.
Is there an interpretator's day (week or month)? I.e., is there a special day that
businesses/gov't agencies//churches take out the interpretator for a meal or
something?

Sheng-Chieh

I never heard of any appreciation days in my area.

It makes my day when a deaf client tells me, "I'm glad that you're my interpreter." That's good enough for me. :)

It makes my day when a deaf client tells me, "I'm glad that you're my interpreter." That's good enough for me. :)

Yes Reba, each of my intervenors (SSPs) knows how much I appreciate them so much. They are not only my intervenors but my friends too as well.

When we are done with my hours of intervening, we do go to Starbucks or lunch and I do treat them although they will protest and say they will pay. I insist I pay because I truly appreciate my independence as a DeafBlind person.

Yes Reba, each of my intervenors (SSPs) knows how much I appreciate them so much. They are not only my intervenors but my friends too as well.

When we are done with my hours of intervening, we do go to Starbucks or lunch and I do treat them although they will protest and say they will pay. I insist I pay because I truly appreciate my independence as a DeafBlind person.

:thumb:

I am just so curious Reba, I don't know about USA's CoE although I would think they are same as Canada's CoE.

Whenever I see someone "character-assassinating" an interpreter/intervenor, I admit I do step in and stop the character-assassination because I think it is very unethical and morally wrong because both interpreters/intervenors are bound by CoE however the clients are not.

It bothers me when the general public feels free to "character-assassinate" the hard working interpreters/intervenors.

I do go and speak to focus groups to enable for better accessibility as I feel this is much better for more open communication. This is after I see my intervenors at work with other clients, I now have a deeper respect and appreciation for all interpreters and intervenors.

I am just so curious Reba, I don't know about USA's CoE although I would think they are same as Canada's CoE.

Whenever I see someone "character-assassinating" an interpreter/intervenor, I admit I do step in and stop the character-assassination because I think it is very unethical and morally wrong because both interpreters/intervenors are bound by CoE however the clients are not.

It bothers me when the general public feels free to "character-assassinate" the hard working interpreters/intervenors.

I do go and speak to focus groups to enable for better accessibility as I feel this is much better for more open communication. This is after I see my intervenors at work with other clients, I now have a deeper respect and appreciation for all interpreters and intervenors.
I agree that character assassination is wrong no matter who does it. Unfortunately, as you posted, there is no code for clients to follow other than their own personal ethics.

If a client has a legitimate complaint about an interpreter, then the client should complain to the appropriate person or agency to get the situation resolved.

Unethical and unkind

Mrs Bucket

It bothers me when the general public feels free to "character-assassinate" the hard working interpreters/intervenors

Mrs Bucket - "character assasination" can/does occur on many different levels with any group of people. One only has to look at what can/does happen through mediums, such as this one, where there is no face to face interaction.

Some people choice is to be a voyeur, some not. I commend your choice.

One has to decide where ones' energy is best "spent".

I aplogize for being OT.

:ty:

when i used tactile terps pre-ci, i always told them how much i appreciated everything they did for me. we only have 2 tactile terps in my area, so they are very, very hard to come by. i think every Deaf or deafblind client who uses a terp ought to take a minute to say "thanks" for the excellent job they do.

I know there is a secretary's day, a square dance day, black history month, etc.
Is there an interpretator's day (week or month)? I.e., is there a special day that
something?

Sheng-Chieh

That sounds like a wonderful idea to me! I would definitely appreciate something like that. There is no official day but like Reba says, we like to be told that you appreciate our services. :ty:

Some companies and agencies do recognize their interpreters, on their own - I know Gallaudet has Interpreter Appreciation events, and at least one of the VRS companies has appreciation events too. Some other agencies have team-building activities like everybody goes to the theme park or something like that, too.

Yes, I'm sure that schools and agencies do that.

I'm a "freelancer" now, so I'm just by my lonesome. :lol:

I don't remember if we have an Interpreter Appreciation Day. :hmm: What I don't like is that the hearing professionals won't hire interpreters for me. I need them very badly. They made an excuse and said no. Also it was hard for the intepreters to come into the island except one terp who knows the island but she is very busy. :(

Guess what, we have added a new holiday which was started last year. February 16 is Family Day while in United States they will celebrate Presidents' Day. Weird. :crazy:

something?

Sheng-Chieh

There is actually, although judging from the other responses, it doesn't seem to be a widely known holiday.
September 30th is "St. Jerome's Day" a.k.a. International Interpreter and Translator Day.
St. Jerome was the patron saints of translation/ interpretation (he translated the bible from Greek/Aramaic into Latin, albeit with multiple errors).

Hope this proves useful to you! My class held an open party this past St. Jerome's Day to celebrate :)

Jerome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Like I say, saying thank yous & treating your interpreter, intervenors and DIs[ Deaf Interpreters] to lunch or a coffee is very important.

Everyday should be their Appreciation Day. Do you realise some do not get a bi-weekly cheque? They have to wait up to 6 weeks to get their cheques and they have an amazing passion for their career.

Still to this day, I get so bothered by some people's choices of words about their interpreters. I encourage them to go to the organisation that their interpreters come from instead of attacking the interpreters themselves.

:ily: to interpreters, intervenors and DIs.

If it wasn't for them, my independence wouldn't have been granted.

Like I say, saying thank yous & treating your interpreter, intervenors and DIs[ Deaf Interpreters] to lunch or a coffee is very important.

Everyday should be their Appreciation Day. Do you realise some do not get a bi-weekly cheque? They have to wait up to 6 weeks to get their cheques and they have an amazing passion for their career.

Still to this day, I get so bothered by some people's choices of words about their interpreters. I encourage them to go to the organisation that their interpreters come from instead of attacking the interpreters themselves.

:ty:

i want to say something about this...if an interpreter is great, ethical, respectful, etc. I will definitely be forever grateful for their services, recommend them, and praise them when their name comes up in the community. If I have had a miserable experience repeatedly with an interpreter then my friends will know about it. Especially if I know that this interpreter is normally like this, if it is really bad I do report them to AVLIC or if the interpreter was hired through OIS or a private list wherever they were interpreting the organization is told right away.

I think you need to remember that some interpreters abuse their power, amoung other things. Since the profession is not regulated to the same extent in Canada as it is in the US Deaf people are often left with little "quality control" and we are left to fend for ourselves. If I have an experience with an interpreter where the interpreter asks me mouth so they can understand me easier, or they are consistently late, or they refuse to interpret for certain people in the room because they feel they were only hired to interpret for one speaker, or if they are clearly acting unethical...then yes, I will tell other Deaf people about it.

Most interpreters around here are great. Some are absolutely amazing. I talk those ones up when the name comes up and provide shining recommendation if asked, but others will not get that from me and I will be forward about why.

Back