Is Technology Making Us Impersonal?

LovingLife

Reaction score
Technology is a wonderful invention, but has even changed the most simplest things in our lives, like writing. How often we use informal/slang language to convey our emotions? Nowadays we chat online and sometimes we never even spell out a full word. Our writing has become more and more impersonal. How often do you send a letter to someone? You may ask, what is the point, why not just send an email? But the actual hand written letter can make it so much more heartfelt.

Technology in today's world has been the staple of communication, are people using the convenience of technology to stay in touch but are actually becoming out of touch with the value of personal interaction? Has technology in fact made the world more distant, impersonal, and cold?

Thank u for your question, interesting cuz i think that technology has made it more personal and opens the way for me to express myself to others. More so with being able to use the voice over text software and use im to make it easy for quick chatting and emails if it is a long message. And a big one video chat is a bigger leap in making it more real and personal.
Im so busy I have not wrote a card or letter in a while. So yeah technology does divert my writing and spelling art to the back burner.
I love the Smiley faces and the readily list of words to choose from while using technology. But it also mamakes it easy to fake it sonic can see how it can make it impersonal.
So basically it deoends on each persons way of using it.

D-E-F-I-N-I-T-E-L-Y.

It even makes us impersonal between us living creatures in our living rooms.
How? imagine, my kid and me separated by f...ng cell phone for HOURS:
sorry, mom, not now, I have a text...
:mad2:

Fuzzy

Thank u for your question, interesting cuz i think that technology has made it more personal and opens the way for me to express myself to others. More so with being able to use the voice over text software and use im to make it easy for quick chatting and emails if it is a long message. And a big one video chat is a bigger leap in making it more real and personal.
Im so busy I have not wrote a card or letter in a while. So yeah technology does divert my writing and spelling art to the back burner.
I love the Smiley faces and the readily list of words to choose from while using technology. But it also mamakes it easy to fake it sonic can see how it can make it impersonal.
So basically it deoends on each persons way of using it.

when did you last actually talked face to face, touched someone, smiled with someone face to face, talked on the TTY with someone,
do you even remember such thing as MANNERS?
if you communicate mostly via technology and smileys, I doubt you even remember anymore what is like to walk in crowd without your cell in hand
anymore and connect with ... people, acutally.

Fuzzy

Wirelessly posted

Yes, I prefer a phone call vs a

Text message from mio amor. He's great about calling me :)

I think it's impersonal, sometimes it's as if we are too busy kind of world to write a letter or call someone these days.

Last edited:
yes..was saying this yesterday lets bring writing letters back more personal

Wirelessly posted

caz12 said:

I agree

It also allows us to interact with idiots that think they are smart, or average looking people that think they are attractive.

But due to disability, I have very poor fine motor control.

If I write , I look like an illiterate five year old.

Technology enables me to communicate in a much more sophisticated manner.

Yes technology has made us very impersonal. People are talking less now too , I see people texting instead of talking to a person a lot more . And I see a lot of mothers bring their kids to the park and the mother spend the whole time texting instead of playing with their kid(s). The mother will be so engross in texting she would not know her child was missing. Schools are no longer teaching students how to write in cursive . Writing is becoming obsolete, like the OP said people do not take the time to spell out the whole words anymore. I have also notices articles in my local newspaper have misspelled words a lot, I know my spelling is bad but I am not trying to made a living off it. I hate it when I call a person and leave a message and they answer back with an email. That is very impersonal.

I guess texting has its pros and cons for us all. For me, my thumbs can type and keep up with my thoughts better than a pen in my hand. When i try and write what i want to express, my thoughts and feelings get ahead of my ability to jot it all down and i loose it all before i know it. ...its like...oh geez what was i gonna say again....so texting has helped me. Okay...sometimes i am too straight forward and say / type things out that i should have given a second thought to. But, thats me. I am real, raw, and dont hold back....just like my thumbs on texting. To each.....their own ツ

Lau2046 perfect question…

Technology helps, but I am glad that my non-work life is not evolving around a certain product (games) or virtual environment (blogs). Games and Blog Sites are a great way to kill work time. For personal time, I still prefer watching a movie with family and/or friends, and going to see places and people. There will always be more technology. It just depends on how the individual choose to live his or her life.

I spend 40/60 minutes a day (from work) on Blog Sites like alldeaf or tech sites (virtual environment)

My free time I spend personally interacting with family and friends. Some friends via Skype and/or Facetime but I still feel that’s personal interaction. I still take the time to send family and friends cards via snail mail and write Thank You Cards. (personal interaction)

How much time does one spend in a virtual environment compared to personal interaction?
Does one have more virtual friends than in person friends?

Yes...has this forum not illustrated that point clearly? Technology cuts out the human connection.

Laura

Actually, I'm studying calligraphy at the moment so this is on topic for me.

I do disagree with some to this. It has always been up to the individual as to how well that person communicates. This has not changed with the advent of new writing media. So, that catholic school nun would be hitting your computer typing hand today with a ruler instead of the hand holding a pencil, no difference. I'm making a conscious effort to improve my hand writing using drawing programs on a tablet PC instead of wasting tons of paper and I also try to use better grammar when I type(still working on this one), but it is a personal issue.

It is true that communication is more prevalent on-line today, but that is actually better of us in the hoh/deaf/Deaf communities. I can only look at that as a good thing. I miss less and understand more.

The media you use to communicate is what we all need to use well. One could argue that one form is better than another, but that is just another debate.

If you look at it this way, there is more actual letters in the form of email today than there ever was in years past. Just like there is more photography than there was before, every man woman and child has a camera.

Last edited:
D-E-F-I-N-I-T-E-L-Y.

It even makes us impersonal between us living creatures in our living rooms.
How? imagine, my kid and me separated by f...ng cell phone for HOURS:
sorry, mom, not now, I have a text...
:mad2:

Fuzzy

I agree, but these would be people in my living room I can't understand. Not that I would love them any less.

Yes...has this forum not illustrated that point clearly? Technology cuts out the human connection.

Laura

Contact, not connection, there is a difference. For every friend you don't see on Friday night there are three high school friends whom you communicate with through Facebook and would otherwise only connect with at a funeral or never see again.

Last edited:
Back