Is spanking on the kids belong kind of abuse?

CyberRed said:
Spankin' on a child is ok,
Agree!
but not with belt or paddle or anythin' that may harm the child than hand. Child's butt is for spankin' by hand.
Wrong, the Bible demands the "rod" for spanking only.
But, if a child is stealin' somethin' by her/his hands, then, slap on his/her hand and explain that it is not good to steal. That's a no-no. Train up the child the right way from wrong.
Agree!
Never hit a child's head or face. Communication with explainin' is important for a child to understand why it is wrong
Agree.

***And if I may add, I read somewhere that says not to send children to their bedrooms as punishment becuz the child will have harder time going to bed because they think they are being "punished" so better to find another room or spot in the house and not use their bedroom

LinuxGold-Super Moderator wrote:
My turn to express my opinion.

I spank my son with proper discipline -- discussing out the wrongdoing and emphasize the reason for spanking as a tool of discipline. I do not spank without warning or to acknowledge on what my son did was wrong. After the spanking process is over, I kept reminding him that I love him and want him to do what is right. I DO not send my son to bedroom as a form of discipline because that increases my son's hatred towards me.[/QUOTE]

Askjo said:
Wrong, the Bible demands the "rod" for spanking only. Agree!

Do you mean that it's okay to use belt, paddle, etc for spanking? Would you do that to kids because the bible says so?

we can't spank our children anymore. it makes our kids to hate us.
I would rather have my child "hate" me (which they don't) than have them turn out to be a delinquent filling up the prison system because they have never experienced meaningful consequences early in life.

Eve said:
I would rather have my child "hate" me (which they don't) than have them turn out to be a delinquent filling up the prison system because they have never experienced meaningful consequences early in life.
I totally agree, Eve!
I spanked my son when he was a little boy with my hands and he turned out
to be a fine young man!
I have seen kids who have never been disciplined all their lives have gotten
in trouble with the law...not all of them, but have problems with life in general,
just plain laziness, wont get jobs, etc...etc.

starrygaze said:
"rod" punishment is wrong. but we are treated with new Age. we can't spank our children anymore.

Yes I´m agree with you. I don´t follow what the bible says.

it makes our kids to hate us.

It´s not just hate but rebel against you... Spanking teachs children to develop aggressive, volience, crimes, etc.

I use gentle discpline and also firm discipline as well to expose my children into good and respectful behavior. Spanking doesn´t solve anything but rebel, aggressive, violence and disrespectful against you.

Eve said:
I personally prefer THIS method:
BK064.jpg
In my childhood, my mother always give me one spanked, however she always said to go to my room till my father gets home. When my father get home, he never spanks me but just talked about what I did wrong and then he said he loves me. I don't perceive my parent spanking me was abusive, its just tell me not do any bad performance again. I remember that my father once spanked all three of us same time with a belt because we all lied same answers that my father asked, and that was his first time action and he never did it again. He told us after spanked, "If you have not lie then you would not get the spank." That tell me something "tell the truth and no punishment will be made." I told my children same quote as my father told me. It did help a bit , they told me truth and all I did was to talk about it in disappointment and no spank requires.
I believe that every child's mind function differently, for instance, when a child's mind does take punishment considerately then he or she will obeys with no argues and hopefully not do it again in future. Other child's mind may not take punishment serious and will likely get troubles from time to time.
There are some methods you can use for discipline your child/children in accordance to their individual mind/personally performance. The book that Eve shown " Dare to discipline" is a good example book for trying variety methods to raise you kid/s in a good way. God didn't say how you punish your kid/s, God said you should discipline your kid/s to have them grow in going to the right path.

Main importance is... Love your children with lot of hug and kisses. As for teen, find a time and place to spend time to talk about positive topics.

I think spanking is sexual abuse because you are touching the kid's butt! ><

kokonut said:
There are some methods you can use for discipline your child/children in accordance to their individual mind/personally performance. The book that Eve shown " Dare to discipline" is a good example book for trying variety methods to raise you kid/s in a good way. God didn't say how you punish your kid/s, God said you should discipline your kid/s to have them grow in going to the right path.

I respectfully disagree some point of "Dare to discipline" but I use positive discipline which different from "Dare to discipline".

Main importance is... Love your children with lot of hug and kisses. As for teen, find a time and place to spend time to talk about positive topics.

Yes, I´m agree with you on this.

Steel X said:
I think spanking is sexual abuse because you are touching the kid's butt! ><

:lol: :D

No, it´s not sexual abuse but physical abuse.

Instead of spanking, I would put my nephews in corner, tell them no swimming, no video games. Take their priviliege away until they behave.

Do you mean that it's okay to use belt, paddle, etc for spanking? Would you do that to kids because the bible says so?
Yes, I was spanking with a paddle by the principal at a deaf school when I was a young student. My parents used them to spank me many times. I will spank my child with a rod. Do you know that the Bible demands a rod?

Spanking Kids is Disapline..Its says it in the Bible
SPARE THE ROD AND SPOIL THE CHILD
Dont listen to psychiatrists telling you spanking and whipping the child will affect him later in life. LOOK AT OUR SOCIETY TODAY!! Is Fucked up !! Crime is out off line,,Kids are bring guns and weapons in school.Kids are doing drugs and hanging out with gangs. Giving him a TIME OUT IS BULLSHIT!! Back in the 1950s Kids respected one another.Kids didnt bring guns or weapons to school back in the 50s.Kids didnt do drugs or join gangs back in the 50s.Wanna know why Society is Fucked up today? ITS LIBERALISM! I Say BRING BACK SPANKING!!!!

Yes, I was spanking with a paddle by the principal at a deaf school when I was a young student. My parents used them to spank me many times. I will spank my child with a rod. Do you know that the Bible demands a rod?

I do not believe Jesus was every spanked by his parents with rod or hands.

I heard a preacher speak on the "spare the rod; and spoil the child" topic once. It really sounded like the preacher was endorsing child abuse.

I am not totally against spanking a child, however. I believe there are situations that do call for it. However, I also believe it should be applied correctly. I don't believe in using objects, and I don't believe in spanking a child on the bare bottom. However, an open handed "swat" on the butt isn't going to harm a child, and does get the point across to him/her that you're displeased with their behavior.

I also think that parents or relatives should spank be the only ones to spank a child. No one else should have that right.

Wives are equal partners with husbands. They are not supposed to "punish" each other. Husbands aren't "raising" wives like children. That is abuse.
Really Reba? I know some fundie christians who think that b/c the Bible says that the husband is the leader of the family, it gives them the right to domesticly abuse them.
Oh, and Eve.........Dr. Dobson isn't a child psychologist or anything.....his doctrate is in animal psychology or something like that.
I actually think that the Biblical refereance is metaphorical, rather then literal. A child needs disclipine to grow up into a sucessful adult....that doesn't mean beating him with a stick, spoon, brush etc........

Really Reba? I know some fundie christians who think that b/c the Bible says that the husband is the leader of the family, it gives them the right to domesticly abuse them.
Oh, and Eve.........Dr. Dobson isn't a child psychologist or anything.....his doctrate is in animal psychology or something like that.
I actually think that the Biblical refereance is metaphorical, rather then literal. A child needs disclipine to grow up into a sucessful adult....that doesn't mean beating him with a stick, spoon, brush etc........

On your first point, people can justify anything with the bible. But, I don't take issue with what Reba said, because, I think that's a correctly applied biblical belief. You are correct, however, that people will use the bible as justification for abuse, but that doesn't mean that all fundamentalist do it.

My uncle was such a person. He was NOT a Christian at all, but he used the bible to justify alot the abuse he meted out to me, and other members of my family. He was a "biblical man", but in reality, he wasn't. Trust me.

And, as to what you said to Eve, please don't criticise her for using a book by Dobson. I actually have spoken to her, and I have seen how she disciplines her kids, and trust me, they are healthy children.While she does apply corporal punishment when necessary, she doesn't beat her kids mercilessly. She uses loss of priveledges with her kids more than any other method. I've seen her in action. She's a good Mom!

Back