"Is Nintendo dying?"

actually, Nintendo is losing popularity and is not quite the same as it was in the 1980s and 1990s...why? because there was no systems that has the ablities to do other things than just games and certainly games are important, but what's more important is ENTERTAINMENT! you see why Sony was already on top during the next gen wars, because it wasn't just a videogame system...it was an entertainment system that can not just play PS and PS2 games, but also play music and DVDs, but then when Xbox came out, it just overwhelm the PS2 because it actually have afew extras in its green and black mean machine...you can record music, you can watch DVDs (must have remote with that) the loading times are tons faster than PS2 and you can even save games on the hard disk without having to buy a memory card to save games, bleh...
and the gamecube...does it really give TRUE pleasure to its fans? not likey. it just play GAMES! sorry, it just already feels old school when you have an console that just play games and you already have Nintendo, super nintendo, and Nintendo 64 that only play games and Gamecube still play games also...*sigh* but yes, games are important and fun is important too but gamers actually want more because the entertainment era has evloved and so should the videogame consoles. there has already been DVD player portables, CD portable players, and even flat screen TVs with a DVD player installed...you name it. the more you get than just games, the more money you save...get it?

gaming is already part of entertainment and the elvoution of entertainment is still evolving.

Nintendo should evlove also.

We'll have to see when they release news on "Nintendo Revloution" around spring at E3 this year. :o

That's conpect: There is not popluar VHS that people buy anymore. DVD player going on top for selling and more popluar that people buy. Because people like more room space on shelf, plus dvd don't have reveiw that why people save their time.

Nintendo gaming system is good for kids.

Anyway, Nintendo become more collection eventually.. its up to you can collection nintendo games and stuffs over ebay or game store.. GOOD LUCK! :D

Ahhh! I see why North American players want from Nintendo - cool gadgets like built-in DVD?
panasonic-gamecube.jpg

No wonder this cool gamecube dont appear in North America - can playing any media files! If Nintendo decide sell Panasonic console instead of original system - they're able to keep up with stupid console war.
Risk yourself for this price.
I really want this console very badly.

One more device Nintendo kept from us - iQue, a controller-style console for N64 and SNES games.

I WAS going to get that panasonic console instead of the regular console and if I did, I would never own PS2 and Xbox because of DVD player...lol but now I got PS2 and Xbox along with gamecube because there aren't enough games for gamecube anyway...and I think Xbox has more games than PS2 do...so thats why I rather play alot of games that are actually fun and enjoyable and even get to watch movies on the same console also...but aw well...nintendo wouldn't screw it up if they bring the Panasonic console to america and get a bunch of third parties companies to creat games for them...but bleh, they are just not interested in Nintendo anymore :( such a sad, sad story there, fellas.

I can really tell if Nintendo's popularity has really declined or kept steady:.....

the answer is Walmart. Every time I visit a wally world's electronics department, I find enough unsold GameCubes in stock while the PS2 and xbox are routinely sold out. Even the Gameboys are not immune as I found a lot of Gameboys both Advance regular and Advance SP's still in stock. There are a fewer selection of GCN games in stock.

and steel, really PS2 has more selection of games than xbox due to the PS2's one year headstart over the xbox. The PS2's game case in Walmart is twice bigger than of xbox's game selections. Same thing goes for EBGames, GameStop, Best Buy and other places. The reverse would be true if the xbox Next comes out before PS3 and GCN 2.

Also contributing to Nintendo's downfall is their reliance on properitary technologies like that ridiculous mini-dvd, keeping with the practice of using cartidges for too long than Sega did, ignoring the adult gamer market, and not adapting themselves well to take on Sony and Microsoft.

Just my 2 cents from a xbox and regular GBA owner......

Well, let's see if Nintendo pull their tricks on new console on E3 this year. :fingersx: And it's differcult to find out what's new with this console. I'm not sure if Nintendo will discontinue use of mini discs and throw in a new 15 GB hard drive includes features which DS had and a port to plug console to PC monitor. That's all I get information from Game Informer magazine.
Other thing, Nintendo still dont support online playing like "Live Xbox" because they feel playing with real friends would be better rather than playing with strangers. But I really like playing online with you on any favorite games such Custom Robo or Metroid Prime 2. I still feel Nintendo need to take their time with online playing feature.

One more thing....I had seen few fanstic pictures of latest graphic engine which new consoles run on was unbearable life-like ones.

Nintendo can't die! They've got the best games, and I got a Gameboy Advance SP recently. I don't want the DS as I want to be able to play old school games on it. I hope they manage to keep up with the latest competition.

Hmm... I disagree to the opinion that Nintendo might die soon or they are "behind in the evolution with the PS2 and Xbox". What Nintendo did was a smart move, provide a plain and simple working console that rivals with the graphics of the PS2 and XBox. As today's technology progress, we must keep up with technology, true? Nintendo did keep up with the technology, minus the DVD player... How many of us here on this thread own a DVD player, it can be a PS2, XBox or a regular DVD player? Probably all of us. Suppose we want to buy a GCN, and it's about the same price as the PS2, when it first came out; $300 dollars and it's completely stripped of everything a PS2 have right now, or better yet, a XBox? Would you buy it? No... It was on sale for 200 dollars then dropped down to 150 dollars then now 100 dollars, making it the most affordable console on the market. You want to go online? Sure, buy their broadband adapter and hook it up then bingo, you are online. I didn't opt for the broadband connection because I don't see why I should get on cuz I don't play sports back then. Right now I might be considering getting one because most MMORPGS are making their way to the console systems like Phantasy Star Online, Ultima, World of Warcraft (yes I know some of them are already out but the point is, it's becoming more and more popular). Back then when I wanted to buy the GCN, I didn't want broadband connection, I don't want a dvd player because I already have umm 4 dvd players? I don't want the nook and crannies of what PS2 and Xbox have, I just want a system that runs games, plain and simple. To you, it may sound stupid but I'm old school, I grew up playing NES, SNES, Genesis and they all provided excellent game play value as well as graphics as opposed to today's graphics. How many of you guys played and beat a game in less than 20 hours? The Bouncer, anyone? They spent a lot of time pre-rendering everything to make it crystal clear and sharp to appeal the audience into thinking its a bad ass game but the game play value is lousy and short, which makes spending 50 dollars seem pointless and a waste of money. Things has changed and the better the technology become for the consoles, the lousy the game play value will become. It is a rarity to find some good games that provides a lot of fun and enjoyment for your bucks like GTA: San Andreas, DDR Revolution with the dance pad, several platform games I can't think of right now.

That's another story but that's what I think of the GCN, it's still coming up strong and hey before Microsoft dropped their price on the XBOX, GCN was the 2nd leading console next to the PS2. Xbox's price dropped to $179, and the price drop alone put it ahead in the race. Honestly, I would be looking at the XBox, will it succeed in the gaming console wars? I think not because not many good games are out for the XBox right now other than Ninja Gaiden... and that's probably about it. Microsoft seems to be afraid that they would lose in the war because they bought out several companies like Bungie (Halo) and made a lot of contracts to make elusive titles like Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive under Tecmo. It is the games that saved XBox's ass. If it was not for the games like Halo, Ninja Gaiden and DoA, XBox will be failing right now.

I go to many retail stores and I see a lot of games for the PS2, GCN and XBox and what I see the most is the XBox games are always in stock... GCN would most of the time be out of stock and the PS2 would also be always in stock but the new hottest games like GTA: SA, would be out of stock of course, but when I see a new game like Ninja Gaiden for the XBox, naturally I would expect it to be out of stock, but it's still in stock and collecting dust since it came out... This is both in Chicago at several Best Buys, Wal-Marts and Targets and here in Ohio at Wal-Mart and Best Buy. Of course, that's my opinion and I know many people would beg to differ with my opinion. XD

nah nintendo aint dying. Look at Zelda. It still remains the best game on all nintendo systems.

Don't forget Metroid and Mario, as well. they are the reasons that Nintendo is still alive...

but what about the Dreamcast? as Sonic was still alive, but did the Dreamcast stay alive, as well? no...

because the sega president of nearly 6 years ago died and wanted his company to go software business only..otherwise, there were way too many illegal copies of dreamcast games than there were for the orginal Playstation, etc...

when the Playstation 2 launched, it overwhelmed the dreamcast and the sales were even greater than the dreamcast...so the dreamcast falls to its own death for such pitiful reasons. :(

*sigh* I really loved my dreamcast...aw such memoriable games like Sonic Adventure, DOA 2, and Shenmue...

Back