Is more speech therapy worth it?

If this isn't too much of a threadjack and/or too painful, I'd like to hear more about how people who fake it feel. Are there any-- I'm not sure how to put this, but are there any really common experiences, or patterns, that people that have been raised oral would all recognize in each other?

If you don't want this thread to end up being about that, that's fine, it is kind of a threadjack and probably more interesting to me than anyone else.

People who "fake" what?

NPS is a non-public school.

Apparently at the school in Utah where they use ASL, spoken language is essentially forbidden, with the exception of a short amount of time for speech therapy that uses simultaneous communication. Given the rigidity of Utah's ASL Bi-Bi program, it's no surprise that the significant majority of DHH students use a listening and spoken language approach.

That is where the problem lies.

CSign, I actually think that the problem wasn't due to the bi-bi approach, per se but due to the fact that it was about the size of a sizable dhh program, and b/c the speech therapist was really bad. I know at other bi-bi schools they have voice on periods where you use your voice. Had the Utah school been better set up, re resources etc, it prolly would have been a very popular option for enrollment.

I don't think speech therapy in and of itself is "child abuse." I think excessive therapy with the goal of "erasing" the child's hearing loss is cruel, but wanting your kid's speech to improve to open more doors and make it easier for him to communicate with hearing people isn't abusive.

Neither do I. I think that many dhh kids can benefit from having spoken language skills as a tool......I just don't think that it should be the ONLY tool.

And CSign, you also have to understand that Utah Schools has been very oral for many years. The parents wanted their kids to be oral......there was a small TC program for oral failures.....

And CSign, you also have to understand that Utah Schools has been very oral for many years. The parents wanted their kids to be oral......there was a small TC program for oral failures.....

I think there is an oral emphasis due to the Mormon religion and their requirement to go out and proselytize.

The Osmond's singing brother group got started as they were trying to raise money for hearing aids for the two deaf brothers so they could go on missions. (Or at least so the story goes.)

No one has natural skills, hearing or not, learning or improving upon a skill requires hard work and persistence.

Laura

I think you misunderstood what Frisky meant.

I think one of the problems is that too many people assume this is always the correct answer.

Nothing is ever never or always. Everyone is individual which makes for different preferences and outcomes.

No one has natural skills, hearing or not, learning or improving upon a skill requires hard work and persistence.

Laura

Yes. some people have natural skills when it comes to require hard work and persistence which have less time than others who have put more times in it. Of course.

I think you misunderstood what Frisky meant.

Thank you. I replied about the amount of times with anyone who have natural skills have less amount of times than any others who have more time and put too much of times.

I agree, so I wonder why you thought to give such a definitive answer?

I didn't. I perceived the implication to be that the individual wants to be in speech therapy.

Clearly, if the person doesn't want to be in speech then they shouldn't. :wave:

Sometimes it's more than just the individual making the decision. It's a question parents need to ask themselves. "Do I want my child in speech therapy because it's good for him, or because it's good for me?"

I doubt the OP's parents are much involved with the decision he's making at this point, as he's an adult. Seems more that he's evaluating the work/cost/time involved in working on his speech vs. the benefit he might get from being able to communicate more effectively.

I doubt the OP's parents are much involved with the decision he's making at this point, as he's an adult. Seems more that he's evaluating the work/cost/time involved in working on his speech vs. the benefit he might get from being able to communicate more effectively.

I thought it is a she.

Also, GrendelQ hit the nail on the head. That was what I was asking. Not if it was prudent to force speech therapy on someone else, whether it was worth it in my circumstances.

Also, GrendelQ hit the nail on the head. That was what I was asking. Not if it was prudent to force speech therapy on someone else, whether it was worth it in my circumstances.
Well, yeah, but this thread has wandered a bit. :D

Back