is laughing a reflex?

I think that laughter is a mental reflex... depending on the person's mental state. A real reflex is something that happens, no matter what. Know the knee reflex? If your knee was okay, it would automatically kick when the knee is tapped. With laughter, it's a bunch of muscles and lungs working together to create sounds of laughter. However, what makes all of that do it? Only if you think it's funny. See what I said? THINK. That's the key word. Do your knees think? Do your lungs think? Do your muscles think? No. So, if it wasn't funny... would you laugh? Why not? Cuz you DON'T THINK it's funny. Therefore, it's not a reflex.

There... that's my opinion. ;)

Yes, welcome to the Dhh world!!!! :)
If ear canals are tiny, would this attribute to hearing loss? It seems it would. Thanks for the info on the parentdeaf-ff listserve. I will check it out! And will also look for BBNT (name?)
Yes, small and nonexistant ear canals can and do cause loss. I know b/c I have them. (so does Naj) I'm surprised I haven't seen you post on the listserv! Also join the American Society for Deaf Children.....VERY highly reccomended. I seem to remember that they offer a free one year membership to parents of newly identified dhh kids. You might also want to join the branch of NAD that is in your state....NAD offers membership to parents of dhh kids....I e-mailed BBNT but still haven't heard back from him...anyone know what's up with him? He's a wonderful activist and will have TONS of resources for you!

Thanks for the link...I'll check into it. I would've gotten back sooner, but Meggy had an MRI of her inner ear on WED, and that night began vomiting up blood. After five large amounts, we went to the ER. She's home now, and I'm trying to catch up with life as it was.

I didn't realize you were from AZ Katt, we are too!

Oh, I know, meggysmom, There are so many az moms that Ive found in deaf chat forums.

Heres a picture of Ian laughing hysterically. Have you tried tickling dd? Ian is a very ticklish baby too. :)
Just thought you would enjoy. Hes so funny. He looked at his reflection in that baby toy(it has a mirror) and it made him laugh. Hes so wonderful. (Proud mommy alert)

dddwwszx.jpg

He is adorable! Whenever I figure out how to attach a pic on this forum, I'll post one of Meggy. Thanks for sharing!

ok I am here, I don't remember getting an email but I lost email for about 2 weeks when I was moving so thats when you might have sent it.

I will try to be as much help as I can, let me know what you need or what your concerns are and I will put you in touch with those that can help.

I just saw this right before bedtime so I will check back tomorrow

Back