Is it okay for someone with hearing to teach deaf students?

I dont care if the teachers of the Deaf are hearing or deaf. I just care that they are sensitive to deaf children's needs, respect ASL, and the Deaf community as important factors in their students' lives. If a teacher sees the deaf children as hearing and tries to teach them using approaches appropriate for hearing children only, then they shouldn't be in the field of deaf education.

I've had three deaf teachers and I'm hearing! They've been some of the best I've had!

But what were they allowed to teach you?

Have you had a deaf math or science teacher?

It will be really good for you to go to Gallaudet. I am happy you will get that experience in Deaf immersion.

But what were they allowed to teach you?

Have you had a deaf math or science teacher?

It will be really good for you to go to Gallaudet. I am happy you will get that experience in Deaf immersion.

Well, one was for ASL. Another was for Psychology and another for US History!

And I feel like I need to be immersed in the culture fully understand it, just my opinion. You can't simply major in ASL or Interpreting and think that you know everything, right? :)

Yes and I notice that is people who became deaf later who don't think a deaf person would be a better teacher for a deaf student. (And this is not sarcasm, but my more polite anwser the question.)

I must not be among the normal. I am late deafened and I feel that a deaf intructor would be better for me. I'm not saying it would be better for everyone, just for me.

I am teaching myself individual signs and will be having a deaf ASL instructor help me from there.

How about this question... "Is it okay to have a deaf teacher for hearing students?"

If deaf people are going to demand that we be fair and let deaf people be teachers for hearing students, then the respect should be shown the other way around as well.

One man in my deaf club is a Spanish teacher at a local high school. It seems he is adored by his students. His classes are split between both hearing and deaf.

I don't think it is a problem as long as you are qualified.

In California all you need is teacher's credentials and a rudimentary knowledge of the subject. I met a teacher of sign language who classed himself as deaf and insisted on SimCom because he maintained deaf people wanted to read your lips in order to better understand.

Now I can think of reasons to use SimCom, but that is not one of them.

Sort of like teachers who need to understand calculus in order to teach kindergarten but are taught little or nothing about the basic psychology of six year olds.

Or like the time I passed a written test that qualified me to run a chainsaw -- But I had never held on in my hands and did not know how to start it.

Back