Is it OK for an ASL teacher to be Hearing?

IMO it's all about the ability and desire to teach, not just the fluency. At my college, it's only the Deaf that teach ASL 1 - 4, and a hearing woman who is CODA (her father's a well-known member of the Deaf community) teaches Sim-Com.

At my hearing friend's university - which is about 2 hours away from me - a deaf woman is teaching ASL. However, my friend absolutely loathes her. She is a terrible teacher, doesn't teach in order, and refuses to explain stuff. My friend has told me that she has learned more from me in one weekend than from that teacher in a semester.... and I think that's pretty sad. I personally know her teacher, and I do see why. She doesn't put aside her... hatred...of the hearing community enough to be able to teach effectively. Which is pretty strange, considering she's married to a hearing man... I donno.

The worst ASL teacher I ever had was Deaf. She was a wonderful signer and introduced me to Deaf culture but she had no idea at all how to teach ASL. Her ideas were grounded in language teaching from the '60s.

The best ASL teachers I had were hearing. One was a CODA and one had extensive experience with NTD. Their methodology was up to date and their knowledge of and acceptance into Deaf culture went deep.

I would in a heartbeat recommend those hearing teachers over the Deaf teacher.

I agree with many of you..a person's hearing status does not automatically make him/her qualified to teach ASL.
Many people tell me that I should get a job teaching ASL at a community college simply because I am Deaf. I dont understand how that makes me an expert in teaching ASL. If I am going to teach ASL, I need to go back to school and learn more about it. I wouldnt want to waste people's money.

The worst ASL teacher I ever had was Deaf. She was a wonderful signer and introduced me to Deaf culture but she had no idea at all how to teach ASL. Her ideas were grounded in language teaching from the '60s.

The best ASL teachers I had were hearing. One was a CODA and one had extensive experience with NTD. Their methodology was up to date and their knowledge of and acceptance into Deaf culture went deep.

I would in a heartbeat recommend those hearing teachers over the Deaf teacher.
I agree. I've had my share of "worst teachers" that were deaf too. :(

I've had 4 Deaf ASL teachers, and one hearing teacher who taught a conversation (in ASL) classand all my interpreting classes (also conducted in ASL). The only problem I have with hearing teachers is that, in my experience, when things get complicated or in a hurry, they drop the ASL and voice. Not a great idea.

Well, I am teaching a Baby ASL class to hearing parents of hearing children. My only qualifications, I have home schooled 7 children for 20 years, taken 6 ASL classes, and met my husband due to my very first ASL home work assignment. (and he was hearing at the time we met, just hoh now,lol, not that he'll admit it) Anyway, I know how to teach babies. That is the main qualification I bring to this class. The subject just happens to be ASL. The purpose of the class is to show parents creative ways to help their child acquire the concept of language as early as possible in order to boost their childs cognitive abilities. We had 23 in the class last Tuesday! (Not bad for a small town library.) So, need I be fluent in ASL to teach this class? I hope not! You could never tell I've had 6 ASL classes to observe my receptive skills! Especially if I'm upset! The people are loving the class and I'm enjoying teaching it. Though I readily admit my limitations in this language at the begining of each class.

I'm continually amazed at the misconception people have about teaching ASL. Children growing up need highly qualified teachers and interpreters (if mainstreaming) because they are using these teachers and interpreters as language models. The younger the child, the more qualified the teacher/terp needs to be. So, yes, you SHOULD BE FLUENT to teach ASL to children. They are using you as a foundation for their language skills.

I'm continually amazed at the misconception people have about teaching ASL. Children growing up need highly qualified teachers and interpreters (if mainstreaming) because they are using these teachers and interpreters as language models. The younger the child, the more qualified the teacher/terp needs to be. So, yes, you SHOULD BE FLUENT to teach ASL to children. They are using you as a foundation for their language skills.

:gpost:

Couldn't have said it better myself!

My opinion is different. I don't mean to offend you but i had a ASL Teacher at my School at this moment, She is very awkward. She doesn't show the right sign. I have to later after class, and show my friends in that class right sign language. Have enough credits and be around a lot of deaf people. That would give a lot of credits than my teacher had.

Ha ha ha.. I'd the same plm with d teachers always given me bad grade at res-cool.

Yea, that's why it is preferable for the prek teachers to be someone who is a native ASL user.

i just finnished asl 1 and i had the most awsome teacher ever he was hearing but he does not speak at all in class and didnt allow speaking in class in fact even outside of class ive never heard him speak. hey also had a requirement of going to a deaf event where you interact with deaf people im taking asl 2 with him in 2 week im so looking forward to it

My ASL teacher is hearing, but the entire class is in ASL...no English allowed once class has begun. She's been teaching for 17 years and may as well have been speaking ASL since the day she was born. :P

My first ASL teacher was hearing, but he did a great job. He had a lot of passion for the language and culture and he made sure that we left our voices at the door.

there are only 2 ASL teachers here in town, and both are hearing. One teaches at the college only, and it's not really true ASL as far as I know (maybe more PSE).

The other teaches at the high school and college, and hers is more interactive and more like the true ASL. She also really encourages her students to join the deaf socials to practice with us and improve their signing skills. More of this teacher's students will actually go to the socials and join in. The other instructor's students hardly ever go to the socials.

I've been really impressed with the high school teacher, she's very eager and fun and easy to get along with, she's definitely a good teacher. The other one, it's great she wants to teach ASL but I don't think she's quite as good (even though she's been teaching the same ASL classes for years).

One of the local Deaf woman did teach the occasional ASL class at the college (as a community course, rather than a credited class). She does not use her voice, strictly ASL. That was years ago when she did a couple of classes though.

Some people just are not cut out to be teachers regardless of hearing status or subject they are teaching....hearing or deaf.

Even some bad teachers start out making many silly mistakes and become extraordinary teachers later on in life.

Back