Is it ever ok for kids NOT to use ASL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see that a lot of oral people here said "I wish I knew ASL." Does that mean you wish you learned it first? Or you wish you had that as an option (learning it later)?

Deafdyke, you're right that the "gift" of speech is really dependent on whether the kid can develop oral skills. (AND I am NOT talking about just being able to speak but also understand spoken English) Just questioning whether ASL really is the best route to go for EVERYONE. I just question the idea that ASL ONLY helps. This is different from the idea that ASL helps most of the time.

I wish I had ASL in the academic setting and for social situations. I was completely lost during class constantly and it used to get me so stressed out for fear of getting called and looking like a fool or for getting yelled at for not paying attention.

ASL is a language and it is natural for humans to develop language when exposed to it. Since spoken language is meant to be processed auditorilly, the risks that the children with hearing losses are there for not having full access to spoken language whether it is Japanese, Italian, Spanish, French, and etc

Asking that question...Is ASL really the best route for EVERYONE is just like asking the question ..Is English really the best route for every hearing child?

If I asked the latter question to the general hearing population, they would look at me like I am crazy. That's how the Deaf community sees with ASL..

Sometimes I wish some people would see how successful the "Baby Signs" programs are because they use ASL. Get this, it is hearing parents bringing their hearing babies in to this program.

It's amazing how wee babies communicate with their parents using ASL.

This strengthens the bond between parents and babies.

Parents are able to communicate with their babies way before the voice boxes develop as they can learn to sign "milk, cookie, finish, eat, sleep" and the Baby Signs program teaches how to communicate with your babies.

Denying a deaf/CI/hoh child the basic skills of ASL--couldn't that be misconstrued as child abuse/neglect?

Denying a deaf/CI/hoh child the basic skills of ASL--couldn't that be misconstrued as child abuse/neglect?

No worse than refusing to give a child with a half a leg the prosthetic he/she needs.

Some parents cling on to false hope and that false hope is called denial.

i have seen other hearing parents teaching their hearing kids in my kids daycare couple of years ago. The moms feel that hearing babies need to learn ASL for a few reason. The first reason that they would able to communicate with babies in signing. They even told me that they hope kids would use ASL to grow their wide varies of languages included foreign languages to know how to accept languages with no problem much later.

I was just making a statement about how amazing is ASL impacts on babies minds work.

i have seen other hearing parents teaching their hearing kids in my kids daycare couple of years ago. The moms feel that hearing babies need to learn ASL for a few reason. The first reason that they would able to communicate with babies in signing. They even told me that they hope kids would use ASL to grow their wide varies of languages included foreign languages to know how to accept languages with no problem much later.

I was just making a statement about how amazing is ASL impacts on babies minds work.

And amazing that when the hearing parent finds out their child is deaf--lo and behold--slap them with a CI and deny them ASL! :roll:

And amazing that when the hearing parent finds out their child is deaf--lo and behold--slap them with a CI and deny them ASL! :roll:

ha yeah i know the feeling. Its my assume that they ar worried how deaf kids can't speak well in much later if they keep sign/ASL. actually kids can learn BOTH in their earlier ages.

I wish I had ASL in the academic setting and for social situations. I was completely lost during class constantly and it used to get me so stressed out for fear of getting called and looking like a fool or for getting yelled at for not paying attention.

ASL is a language and it is natural for humans to develop language when exposed to it. Since spoken language is meant to be processed auditorilly, the risks that the children with hearing losses are there for not having full access to spoken language whether it is Japanese, Italian, Spanish, French, and etc

Asking that question...Is ASL really the best route for EVERYONE is just like asking the question ..Is English really the best route for every hearing child?

If I asked the latter question to the general hearing population, they would look at me like I am crazy. That's how the Deaf community sees with ASL..

But you didn't answer my question. Yes you wish you had ASL, but.. WHEN? First or post lingually?

Actually I disagree with your analogy. I would say it's more like Chinese Americans asking "Is Mandarin the best route for my child?" while living in America.

I'm sorry but I don't think teaching hearing babies ASL is quite the same as teaching deaf babies ASL if you plan on teaching both English later... hearing babies CAN process English auditorally, right?

I'm sorry but I don't think teaching hearing babies ASL is quite the same as teaching deaf babies ASL if you plan on teaching both English later... hearing babies CAN process English auditorally, right?

My comment was just sarcasm..that was all.

Babies [hearing or deaf], their minds are like sponges, they absorb so much at a young age.

They have so much learning capabilities at a very young age and are able to process language.

This is why a lot of people in this thread has been emphasizing ASL at the infant stage.

But you didn't answer my question. Yes you wish you had ASL, but.. WHEN? First or post lingually?

Actually I disagree with your analogy. I would say it's more like Chinese Americans asking "Is Mandarin the best route for my child?" while living in America.

U are comparing apples to oranges...

hearing kids can pick up spoken language because they are hearing while deaf kids run the risk of not being able to pick it up and end up with language delays.

I wish I had it pre-lingually and the primary language. Most of all, I wish I had it in the academic setting so I could learn skills of engaging in classroom discussions or debates instead of sitting there with a vacant look in my face all the time.

Oh no, it was more for Mrs. Bucket and Frisky Feline.. yea.. YOU!!!! and YOU!!!!! :)

Oh ha..lol. I thought maybe u missed my earlier post that it was sarcasm. :)

Babies [hearing or deaf], their minds are like sponges, they absorb so much at a young age.

They have so much learning capabilities at a very young age and are able to process language.

This is why a lot of people in this thread has been emphasizing ASL at the infant stage.

Agreed! Like their minds can exercise with more room of learning anything if they use ASL in their earlier ages. Once they get older and adjust to learn new things easier and easier in much later.

FF, Yes, it is important that kids are given languages to learn from.

Miz FF,
Mr.Mosey here.. I mizzed yew dis merning! Yew not rub maw belly.
109_black_cat.gif

FF, Yes, it is important that kids are given languages to learn from.

Miz FF,
Mr.Mosey here.. I mizzed yew dis merning! Yew not rub maw belly.
109_black_cat.gif

Hey mr mosey, mew! your mom can give you a good rub on your belly for me. :giggle:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back