iPhone coming to Verizon on Februray 3

I'm thinking about it as I am already with Verizon. However some points were made that I'm considering.

1. iPhone 4 is on the 3G network, similar to AT&T's 3G network, however the speeds may be comparable to that of my 1X speed device (LG EnV3). The difference is that Verizon utilizes CDMA technology while AT&T uses GSM technology. I'm not sure which is better for my area but there is Verizon 3G coverage in my area according to the Verizon coverage map. There isn't any with AT&T but we do have the EDGE network here. Not sure which is better. But it is something to consider. I looked and there is no 4G coverage for my area so no point in purchasing a 4G phone at this time.

2.The initial price of the phone is the same with both carriers, but the plan prices may be the deal breaker for most people. If one company offers a better deal than the other, then I will be going with that company.

3. I will be eligible for an upgrade in September but could be sooner if I am eligible for an early upgrade. If so I will attempt to get off my parent's plan and get on my own. Either way I will likely have to pay a deposit. Looking on the websites has not offered me any information. From what I understand of the contract, the contract is not up until September.
go with EDGE. It's dang fast. I'm with T-Mobile but I was in West Virgina, it's AT&T territory. My BB used its EDGE network for internet and dang it's fast.

4. I am also looking into other costs to getting the phone going such as any termination fees to get my number removed from my parent's plan and onto an individual plan and any deposits I would need to pay knowing I will be treated like a new customer rather than as an existing customer. AT&T and Verizon behave differently when it comes to starting a new account.
it's very simple. Cellphone number is easily transferable to any service. Get the authorization form from the owner of AT&T account to release the number and that's it! Transferring # to another service is very simple but be prepared to waste a couple hours of your time but be sure to have your dad (assuming he's the owner) with you or your day has gone to waste.

Hopefully after some consideration and money saved I'll make a decision in a couple of months.
my suggestion - save your money. wait until your contract expires. don't jump the bandwagon yet. you'll thank me later :)

simply put - Verizon is only awesome if you put much emphasis on verbal communication. that's about it.

for data heavy - Sprint is good. AT&T is fine. Verizon is pricey.

It been mention that you cannot use voice while use data at same time. Pity for hearing. Who care for deaf? lol

and someone will turn jailbreak on FaceTime to use thru Ev-DO. ehhh!

Ha Ha. I still have jailbreak iPhone to use FT over 3G network. Tango, Skype, Yahoo messenger or Facebook video chat support 3G or WiFi to not requiting jailbreak.

Verizon iPhone 4 Network Performance at Lincoln Center in NYC
Direction Downstream Upstream
Average 1888 kbps 321 kbps
Max/Min 2238/1483 kbps 368/256 kbps

Upload speed is significantly worse however at only 321Kb/s on average.

Understanding the Verizon iPhone 4 Announcement - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

At&T 3G network performance is faster than CDMA (EVDO Rev A)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkfaV_ZVd8Q&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - iPhone 4 - Verizon vs. AT&T - Web Page Loading Speed[/ame]

Are you sure? I see VZ is faster than Apple for web load.

So the FaceTime restrictions are the same as on AT&T. You must have a wifi connection to use it.

I am leaning towards Verizon as I am already on Verizon, I would just like to move my phone laterally over so that it is on an individual plan rather than on a family plan. I am afraid that if I upgrade my phone to the iPhone under my parent's plan that they may be required to get advanced devices as well and neither do well with technology, especially my dad. Not only that they would receive a discount if it were just them two on a plan as my dad is 66 y/o and qualifies for the 65+ discount.

I am not going to rush out to purchase an iPhone any time soon, I will wait and see what my options are and go from there.

It would be nice if I could find a way to compare the two iPhones on both networks to see which performs better for my needs. I would use a lot of data for FB, email, etc.

I will go talk to a rep at the Verizon store tomorrow and see what I will be facing as far as options go. I will not actually apply for an iPhone, but to ask questions.

It been mention that you cannot use voice while use data at same time. Pity for hearing. Who care for deaf? lol

Why would I be using voice and data simultaneously? If I am talking on the phone how could I see the data? To me this is not important, unless I am in the middle of a call and I receive a text message or email that causes the call to be automatically dropped.

Wirelessly posted (Samsung Captivate (i897))

Hearng people find it useful because you can talk to someone as a speakerphone and surf the net for information while talking to someone on the phone. :)

The Highlander said:
Verizon iPhone 4 Network Performance at Lincoln Center in NYC
Direction Downstream Upstream
Average 1888 kbps 321 kbps
Max/Min 2238/1483 kbps 368/256 kbps

Upload speed is significantly worse however at only 321Kb/s on average.

Understanding the Verizon iPhone 4 Announcement - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

At&T 3G network performance is faster than CDMA (EVDO Rev A)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkfaV_ZVd8Q&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - iPhone 4 - Verizon vs. AT&T - Web Page Loading Speed[/ame]

Are you sure? I see VZ is faster than Apple for web load.

Not an accurate indicator to speed. Remember the verizon iphone was modified with better antenna and signal. At&t was left unmodified.

So the FaceTime restrictions are the same as on AT&T. You must have a wifi connection to use it.

I am leaning towards Verizon as I am already on Verizon, I would just like to move my phone laterally over so that it is on an individual plan rather than on a family plan. I am afraid that if I upgrade my phone to the iPhone under my parent's plan that they may be required to get advanced devices as well and neither do well with technology, especially my dad. Not only that they would receive a discount if it were just them two on a plan as my dad is 66 y/o and qualifies for the 65+ discount.

I am not going to rush out to purchase an iPhone any time soon, I will wait and see what my options are and go from there.

It would be nice if I could find a way to compare the two iPhones on both networks to see which performs better for my needs. I would use a lot of data for FB, email, etc.

I will go talk to a rep at the Verizon store tomorrow and see what I will be facing as far as options go. I will not actually apply for an iPhone, but to ask questions.

oh no no - the upgrade won't affect all parties in same account.

It did the last time I had to upgrade. I had an LG Scoop and the phone was puttering out for me, such as it would shut itself off during a phone call, when I slid it open to text and it would not hold a full charge. I want to the Verizon store to see if I could get a replacement. They didn't have that phone anymore and said for me to get a new phone I would be required to upgrade. Well when I upgraded EVERYONE on the account had to upgrade. It was a real mess. We spent 2 hours in there trying to sort everything out. They said the reason why everyone had to upgrade was because we were not in our contract long enough. I had used the phone for 18 months. From what I gathered they changed the upgrade policy from anytime upgrade to once every two years without notifying us. I also was told that Verizon would not have an unlimited data plan for the iPhone however if you had an unlimited Data plan already you would be grandfathered in for the iPhone. To change that would require me to upgrade before getting an iPhone. A waste if you ask me. If this is true, I may purchase an AT&T iPhone as they have an unlimited data plan available.

Dixie said:

It did the last time I had to upgrade. I had an LG Scoop and the phone was puttering out for me, such as it would shut itself off during a phone call, when I slid it open to text and it would not hold a full charge. I want to the Verizon store to see if I could get a replacement. They didn't have that phone anymore and said for me to get a new phone I would be required to upgrade. Well when I upgraded EVERYONE on the account had to upgrade. It was a real mess. We spent 2 hours in there trying to sort everything out. They said the reason why everyone had to upgrade was because we were not in our contract long enough. I had used the phone for 18 months. From what I gathered they changed the upgrade policy from anytime upgrade to once every two years without notifying us. I also was told that Verizon would not have an unlimited data plan for the iPhone however if you had an unlimited Data plan already you would be grandfathered in for the iPhone. To change that would require me to upgrade before getting an iPhone. A waste if you ask me. If this is true, I may purchase an AT&T iPhone as they have an unlimited data plan available.

At&t no longer offer unlimited data plan. I still have unlimited data plan because Ive been a customer with them for 4 years.

Dixie said:

At&t no longer offer unlimited data plan. I still have unlimited data plan because Ive been a customer with them for 4 years.

Back