IP Address

Phillips

Lets ride horses!
Premium Member
Reaction score
My friend just moved out another state and working under government now.. Friend e.Mailed me and asking me for IP Address for Vp to chatting but Wonder if its okay give him my IP address?

Because I usually give out my friends with my phone number of Vp

recommand don't give your IP to someone use VP or computer. Reason they can hacked you. Also scoop into your computer and take credit card #numbers or whatever max out your money. Myself I would tell him it is your problem you move out and ask for it. You have deal with it. Better protect yourself with your IP with computer or VP. It is better play safe ( I don't care they call you selfish or won't share) then to be sorry.

recommand don't give your IP to someone use VP or computer. Reason they can hacked you. Also scoop into your computer and take credit card #numbers or whatever max out your money. Myself I would tell him it is your problem you move out and ask for it. You have deal with it. Better protect yourself with your IP with computer or VP. It is better play safe ( I don't care they call you selfish or won't share) then to be sorry.

You don't know what you're talking about.

My friend just moved out another state and working under government now.. Friend e.Mailed me and asking me for IP Address for Vp to chatting but Wonder if its okay give him my IP address?

yeah give him your IP address,
Why does it matter if he's working for the government?
What are you concerned about? your IP address is nothing secret, and it usually changes from time to time (most ISPs charge extra for a static IP address).

The phone number system for VP calls works but it's far from perfect. It's tied to companies that own the phone numbers and not every vp device can support it. A direct conection via IP address or domain name would be ideal because everyone would be equally accessible.

However, there are lots of problems. dynamic IPs, lan/NAT transversal problem, people who can only go online via proxy, etc...

I think it would be great if there were devices that we could attach to our VPs and they would take care of all of the networking issues for us. I'm thinking of a diskless computer that would run some simple software (under linux) and would provide a way to connect to others as easily as using a phone number.

There is software like Hamachi and CSpace that do something like that. Both programs allow for making direct connections to other computers on the internet, They take care of nearly all firewall and NAT transversal issues encountered on networks. Connecting to another computer is as simple as adding some one to an instant messenger buddy list. Both programs open a TCP tunnel for secure encrypted communication, which is nice in most situations but not desireable in a VP environment because using UDP over TCP would kill the advantage of using UDP.

Even if some day there was an open source peer to peer device that did what we need, everyone would have to use it. companies like sorenson have their own software and their own servers to take care of these problems and that makes them money, they'd never join in on something that could take away a piece of their market share.

You don't know what you're talking about.

yeah give him your IP address,
Why does it matter if he's working for the government?
What are you concerned about? your IP address is nothing secret, and it usually changes from time to time (most ISPs charge extra for a static IP address).

The phone number system for VP calls works but it's far from perfect. It's tied to companies that own the phone numbers and not every vp device can support it. A direct conection via IP address or domain name would be ideal because everyone would be equally accessible.

However, there are lots of problems. dynamic IPs, lan/NAT transversal problem, people who can only go online via proxy, etc...

I think it would be great if there were devices that we could attach to our VPs and they would take care of all of the networking issues for us. I'm thinking of a diskless computer that would run some simple software (under linux) and would provide a way to connect to others as easily as using a phone number.

There is software like Hamachi and CSpace that do something like that. Both programs allow for making direct connections to other computers on the internet, They take care of nearly all firewall and NAT transversal issues encountered on networks. Connecting to another computer is as simple as adding some one to an instant messenger buddy list. Both programs open a TCP tunnel for secure encrypted communication, which is nice in most situations but not desireable in a VP environment because using UDP over TCP would kill the advantage of using UDP.

Even if some day there was an open source peer to peer device that did what we need, everyone would have to use it. companies like sorenson have their own software and their own servers to take care of these problems and that makes them money, they'd never join in on something that could take away a piece of their market share.

Joe...you are wrong. LOL She said guy move to different state as he work for government so guy ask her for her IP that he can use IP for VP at government workplace.

Farmerjoe is right, it is pointless to worry about IP address. If hacker wants to break in your computer, all hacker do is spoofing the IP address and your number can come up without even asking you for the IP address.

98% of residential Internet connection is based on DHCP rather than Static; DHCP means that device is automatically assigned leased IP address and can be change from time to time. While Static on other hand is manually entered IP address where the ISP manually assigns you one and very rare change, and if change is necessary you will knoiw, comparing to DHCP where you had no idea when and how many times your IP adress has changed.

Again Farmerjoe is right.

In some way TFWFalcon is right that you don't want to give away IP address same way as VP number to just anyone. Just give to your friends that you know and trust.

Its other way, it is just friend, and that she is asking for her residential VP IP address not the government IP address. I would understand not to reveal the givernment internal IP address.

Joe...you are wrong. LOL She said guy move to different state as he work for government so guy ask her for her IP that he can use IP for VP at government workplace.

Lets look at this way, there are 4 classes of IP address. They are categorized from Class A to Class D

What does this classes has to do with this?

Most residential IP address are in Class D IP address. What does that means?

Class D represents the last number of IP address that is assigns you by ISP. If Small business ISP is the one to assign you, then it is likely that this ISP is in Class C, meanining all of that ISP's customer has same first three sets of number in it. For example that small ISP has class C IP of 125.232.55.xxx then all of their customer IP address will start with 125.232.55.xxx, so this gives hacker easy time to locate one if available victim's IP address.

On the larger scale, for example Road Runner, the chance are that they may have class B IP address, where it starts from 125.232.xxx.xxx, Im sure that you are on broadband, meaning your ISP assigned you class D from their Class B IP address pool. You may have 71.89.192.123 then your friend in same town with same ISP, may have IP address of 71.89.191.248. This makes hacker little harder to find you but still can spoofing to find you anyway.

Most large corporation, like Micro$oft, government agecies uses class A IP address which could mean just any number xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx then hacker have no place to start with and had to random search and much harder to spoofing, even worse those sites with class A can afford higher degrees of security, resulting more difficult for Hacker to locate the real IP address within government and large corporations. Thats why those with class A IP address can't afford reveal their IP address.

So, in the end, the residential IP address is very easy to find without even asking the victim. So, whats point of keeping class D IP address so serect?

It's up to you, If you don't want someone to know then don't pass it to anyone, But, one thing you need to be aware of is that You're posting on this forum and this forum also knows your IP address.

Lets look at this way, there are 4 classes of IP address. They are categorized from Class A to Class D

What does this classes has to do with this?

Most residential IP address are in Class D IP address. What does that means?

Class D represents the last number of IP address that is assigns you by ISP. If Small business ISP is the one to assign you, then it is likely that this ISP is in Class C, meanining all of that ISP's customer has same first three sets of number in it. For example that small ISP has class C IP of 125.232.55.xxx then all of their customer IP address will start with 125.232.55.xxx, so this gives hacker easy time to locate one if available victim's IP address.

On the larger scale, for example Road Runner, the chance are that they may have class B IP address, where it starts from 125.232.xxx.xxx, Im sure that you are on broadband, meaning your ISP assigned you class D from their Class B IP address pool. You may have 71.89.192.123 then your friend in same town with same ISP, may have IP address of 71.89.191.248. This makes hacker little harder to find you but still can spoofing to find you anyway.

Most large corporation, like Micro$oft, government agecies uses class A IP address which could mean just any number xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx then hacker have no place to start with and had to random search and much harder to spoofing, even worse those sites with class A can afford higher degrees of security, resulting more difficult for Hacker to locate the real IP address within government and large corporations. Thats why those with class A IP address can't afford reveal their IP address.

So, in the end, the residential IP address is very easy to find without even asking the victim. So, whats point of keeping class D IP address so serect?

Thanks DHB, I now see better IP address concept.. like you said, there are smilarities in IP addresses of the broadband users in my country..some parts of IP adress doesn't seem to change.

You shouldn't give it out in the sense that any random geek needs to know, but as long as you have most of your unused ports set to silent operation and you're not running any other services on your computer which require the use, then you should be fine. IP addresses change based on DHCP, so don't expect it to same the same unless of course you have a static IP.

Back