interpreter problems...

To the OP, maybe you can have your friends be the witnesses and at some point, have one of your classmates RECORD it on video via a spy-camera (if it was a girl, have her attach the spycam somewhere around her private areas). Then you can have the evidence to present to the principal. You said that you have friends who can basically sign - well, HAVE them interpret the recorded video to the TPTB!

Sometimes to get things your way, you have to risk getting into trouble with the school. I know that sounds risky, but you have to think outside the box.

Also, to have your parents and friends support you fully is all you need - you won't get in trouble with your parents .... just with the inept school.

that might be a good idea. But i doubt it will work because they would want you to put your stuff away. we can't use our cellphones in classrooms. And i don't even think we're allowed to use video cameras in the classrooms either. The main problem is that all 7 of my teachers have given positive feedback on my interpreter to the special education supervisor. And they have done that twice. Mainly because i think they are trying to protect my interpreter's job. shes working 2 jobs. One) at a restraunt, 2) at a tanning salon (which by the way i found out from one of my other sub interpreters and i wasn't suppose to know that) and 3) working for me. Which i'm not suprised at all of the reason why she is so tired all the time. I do really want a new interpreter, badly. Because i have had to deal with her since the 6th grade. I'm a junior now (but i'm still on summer vacation, i dont go back to school until August 25th, a day before my birthday) and i REALLY don't want to put up with her crap again. because of the complaints, telling me about her personal life, her outbursts with me that are suppose to be private, not signing in class, being late to class, leaving early from school, flirting with my teachers, texting and calling during my class. all of that--NEEDS TO STOP. If i have to see that again- i think i'm going to go up to the special education supervisor or see the principal about it. If my parents have tried everything they can i'm going to do something about it. Because i think they need to hear it from me because i'm the one using the interpreter.

that might be a good idea. But i doubt it will work because they would want you to put your stuff away. we can't use our cellphones in classrooms. And i don't even think we're allowed to use video cameras in the classrooms either. The main problem is that all 7 of my teachers have given positive feedback on my interpreter to the special education supervisor. And they have done that twice. Mainly because i think they are trying to protect my interpreter's job. shes working 2 jobs. One) at a restraunt, 2) at a tanning salon (which by the way i found out from one of my other sub interpreters and i wasn't suppose to know that) and 3) working for me. Which i'm not suprised at all of the reason why she is so tired all the time. I do really want a new interpreter, badly. Because i have had to deal with her since the 6th grade. I'm a junior now (but i'm still on summer vacation, i dont go back to school until August 25th, a day before my birthday) and i REALLY don't want to put up with her crap again. because of the complaints, telling me about her personal life, her outbursts with me that are suppose to be private, not signing in class, being late to class, leaving early from school, flirting with my teachers, texting and calling during my class. all of that--NEEDS TO STOP. If i have to see that again- i think i'm going to go up to the special education supervisor or see the principal about it. If my parents have tried everything they can i'm going to do something about it. Because i think they need to hear it from me because i'm the one using the interpreter.
Did you find out if she is RID certified? I'm sorry if I overlooked your reply.

Ok. I had a deaf friend who had an interp (we were in the same class, I'm hoh, only use fm/h-aids, no terp, but knew enough sign that we were grouped together for classwork) and her terp would randomly not show up, would leave early, and text. Any time the teacher started talking (if my friend was working on something else or signing w. me) I'd pause and motion toward the terp so she could do her job, and half the time her terp would look at me like she thought I should just sign it, since she was busy texting. Absolutely ridiculous. We were given an extra cred opp- if we could name ten or so classmates on our final, it was e.c. (I know this sounds ridiculous.. just follow :D) and the terp looked at me and said "Tell her names". RI.DIC.U.LOUS.
What to do?
1) As another poster suggested, keep a notebook and record every time she does inappropriate interpreting behavior. E.g. texting when she should be interpreting/not showing up and failure for sub terp/talking off-topic when should be terping/antagonizing you about FM
2) Approach whoever is in charge of Deaf/HOH services at your school. Say you're dissatisfied with the educational experience you're receiving due to issues with your terp. Detail the issues for them. ASK WHAT CAN BE DONE ABOUT THIS.
3) You already have, but review everything with your parents.
4) Understand the following:
-You have a right to CLEAR, ACCURATE INTERPRETATION
-You have a right to a public education with Deaf supportive services
-If you feel your needs are NOT being met, you have a right to call in a review of your IEP and consult with whoever is in charge of D/HOH services.

----This is what my Deaf/Hearing services teacher is always talking about: Self-Advocacy. Stand up for yourself!! You should not put up with a failure to meet basic rights. It's simple.

To me it seems like you are already in trouble. Being afraid of being in trouble that may or may not happen isn't worth holding back from the real trouble. Someone once told me when I hesitated about discuss something with someone out of fear of getting in trouble, he asked me "What worse can happen?" Think about it and decide.

So yeah, go ahead and talk to them if you want the situation to change. You know your rights now, so go and use em for the good cause.

Oh, it might help if you write something down, your experiences and reasons before you go to talk to them. It might be a stressful situation and you might become nervous or afraid. In doing so, you may forgot what you actually want to say, so have notes to look at and remember what you want to say might help.

Dont give up. Keep fighting!!

OKAY WOW.

I'm sorry you have to go through this shit. NOBODY deserves this. I've had a bunch of interpreters since I was in 4th grade (4-6 more like an aide), but in 7th I had an interpreter exactly how you mentioned it. I told my parents the situation and they didn't believe me. I think a classmate of mine reported it to the disability director at my middle school back then, and the next day I was surprised to see my old terp from 4th grade (nice surprise btw). FIGHT. I fought my way through my first year of colleges. (I left 2 colleges 1 semester spent at each due to not getting any interpreting/notetaking services).

I have another idea. What if the school district offered to pay for C-Print? It's basically a captionist who comes into the room and types on a laptop and you have another laptop. You read everything being typed. Captionists are NOT allowed to talk to the student, unless it is regarding about understanding her spelling abilities, a dead battery (on the comp). This option sometimes might be cheaper for school districts who are unwilling to go about another way.

Where are you from anyway? I have friends all over the country who could find out the situation itself and help you out.

Definitely call RID AND NAD.

GOOD LUCK!

OKAY WOW.

I'm sorry you have to go through this shit. NOBODY deserves this. I've had a bunch of interpreters since I was in 4th grade (4-6 more like an aide), but in 7th I had an interpreter exactly how you mentioned it. I told my parents the situation and they didn't believe me. I think a classmate of mine reported it to the disability director at my middle school back then, and the next day I was surprised to see my old terp from 4th grade (nice surprise btw). FIGHT. I fought my way through my first year of colleges. (I left 2 colleges 1 semester spent at each due to not getting any interpreting/notetaking services).

I have another idea. What if the school district offered to pay for C-Print? It's basically a captionist who comes into the room and types on a laptop and you have another laptop. You read everything being typed. Captionists are NOT allowed to talk to the student, unless it is regarding about understanding her spelling abilities, a dead battery (on the comp). This option sometimes might be cheaper for school districts who are unwilling to go about another way.

Where are you from anyway? I have friends all over the country who could find out the situation itself and help you out.

Definitely call RID AND NAD.

GOOD LUCK!

a very close deaf friend of mine's mother told me and my mom about the C-Print. I became very interested in it once my deaf friend texted me about it. My interpreter heard about it and said that the C-Print is more for college than high school. But i think shes just trying to protect her job. I'm from Ohio. She told me she works for RID. But the school doesn't have an agency, the school hires their own private interpreters. She never really told me she is certified at RID, just works for RID. My parents haven't done anything yet about the interpreter situation yet this summer. i'm trying to push them into it but they don't want to because its summer and its a time of relaxing. I might want to talk to the supervisor myself or to the principal in private converstations.

... She told me she works for RID. But the school doesn't have an agency, the school hires their own private interpreters. She never really told me she is certified at RID, just works for RID.
Interpreters don't work for RID. There's something wrong here. Either she's misleading you or there has been a misunderstanding. You can contact RID to find out her status.

My parents haven't done anything yet about the interpreter situation yet this summer. i'm trying to push them into it but they don't want to because its summer and its a time of relaxing. I might want to talk to the supervisor myself or to the principal in private converstations.
I realize that everyone needs a vacation but please don't delay too long in resolving this problem. If the school needs to find you a new interpreter, they need plenty of time to do it. You don't want to run out of time and be stuck again.

Interpreters don't work for RID. There's something wrong here. Either she's misleading you or there has been a misunderstanding. You can contact RID to find out her status.

Hmm. I didn't know that! thats a good fact to know. She has told me she works for RID. I have seen her signed to me saying she works for RID. if she's misleading me purposefully, i'll be upset.

I realize that everyone needs a vacation but please don't delay too long in resolving this problem. If the school needs to find you a new interpreter, they need plenty of time to do it. You don't want to run out of time and be stuck again.

I'm going to try and kind of give them a push about the school. I'm going to the school tomorrow morning around 7:30ish because the band is going to be in a parade and i'm going in to help out pass candies and fliers. So i might be able to see the principal there or the supervisor. So hopefully one of them is there so i can talk to them myself.

Here's one more point.

Interpreters don't work for RID. Interpreters "work for" whomever is paying them. Educational staff interpreters work for the school system that hires them.

Here's one more point.

Interpreters don't work for RID. Interpreters "work for" whomever is paying them. Educational staff interpreters work for the school system that hires them.

yep. which was why i also said the school doesn't have an agency. My deaf best guy friend told me that i should encourage the school getting ID (interpreters for the deaf). But i doubt the school would. probably because its too expensive and all their stupid excuses.

yep. which was why i also said the school doesn't have an agency. My deaf best guy friend told me that i should encourage the school getting ID (interpreters for the deaf). But i doubt the school would. probably because its too expensive and all their stupid excuses.
I'm a little confused.

I understand that the school doesn't have an agency. Normally, public schools or their districts directly hire interpreters, similar to the way they hire teachers. The only time public schools use agencies is when they're searching for substitute interpreters.

This is the part I don't understand. You say that your school probably won't hire an interpreter for the deaf. Isn't that what your current interpreter is?

I'm a little confused.

I understand that the school doesn't have an agency. Normally, public schools or their districts directly hire interpreters, similar to the way they hire teachers. The only time public schools use agencies is when they're searching for substitute interpreters.

This is the part I don't understand. You say that your school probably won't hire an interpreter for the deaf. Isn't that what your current interpreter is?

yes she is an interpreter for the deaf, but she works for or at whoever from RID. we want the school to get an agency -> ID, an agency run by deaf owners, and ID stands for interpreters for the deaf--therefore getting me a new interpreter from that agency and get rid of my current interpreter.

sorry for the confusion

yes she is an interpreter for the deaf, but she works for or at whoever from RID.
There are no interpreters who work for or from RID, so that's why I'm confused. Interpreters can get certified by RID but they don't work for RID. Your interpreter does NOT work for RID. RID does NOT pay your interpreter. There seems to be a misunderstanding.

we want the school to get an agency -> ID, an agency run by deaf owners, and ID stands for interpreters for the deaf--therefore getting me a new interpreter from that agency and get rid of my current interpreter.
Any interpreter who interprets for deaf people is called an interpreter for the deaf. Unless your state has some other classification that is called "ID" that I'm not aware of, I don't understand the significance.

Perhaps these groups can help you:

http://www.ocrid.org/

OAD Online

An agency can help you find an interpreter but it's up to the school to hire one. Schools can hire from private and public agencies, private practice terps, referrals, ITP graduate lists, searching the RID listing, etc. There is no one source that is superior to another.

There are no interpreters who work for or from RID, so that's why I'm confused. Interpreters can get certified by RID but they don't work for RID. Your interpreter does NOT work for RID. RID does NOT pay your interpreter. There seems to be a misunderstanding.

Any interpreter who interprets for deaf people is called an interpreter for the deaf. Unless your state has some other classification that is called "ID" that I'm not aware of, I don't understand the significance.

Perhaps these groups can help you:

http://www.ocrid.org/

OAD Online

An agency can help you find an interpreter but it's up to the school to hire one. Schools can hire from private and public agencies, private practice terps, referrals, ITP graduate lists, searching the RID listing, etc. There is no one source that is superior to another.

thanks, i have decided to go to the school myself without my parents and talk to the principal about this. They can't do anything more than i can. I think if they hear it from me, they would understand where i am coming from. The links you have given me will be very handy for me. I'll print them off just in case they don't believe me from just a hand-written notebook. I'm planning on going to the school tomorrow (July 7th, 9Am-ish.) to see if the principal or the supervisor is there. And I was wondering, before i go there, do you have any tips for me before i do this?

Back