Interpeters in Moscow Russia

An update - I apologize for this overdue response. The terp said it is fairly difficult to find an ASL/ESL terp in Moscow. As of now, She doesn't personally know of any terps over there in Moscow.

I contacted some terps as well and was told it's very difficult to find an ASL terp here. I guess I'll have to take a crash course in RSL and it's not that difficult to learn quickly. I know Russian language but not fluently but learning RSL is quite easy since I can memorize RSL using English words. Actually, RSL originated from France just like ASL. About 20% of ASL and RSL are the same like 'fish' for an example.

I've heard that some Deaf Russians in New York don't know English well but they learned ASL very quickly. I will have to find RSL book here in Moscow since the internet only gives very little.

The US Embassy in Moscow may know of such interpreting services. Moscow is a major city with various international cultures, they will direct him to appropriate organizations there.

The US Embassy in Moscow may know of such interpreting services. Moscow is a major city with various international cultures, they will direct him to appropriate organizations there.

I will ask them if they know of an organization or individual who is on contract with US Embassy. The odds of finding one is almost impossible but I'm sure they have one. However, I'm not going to waste a lot of time trying to find one since I'm learning RSL and making contacts with Deaf Russian friends here.

Thanks for the heads up. :thumb:

Hmm, that's tough.

When my Hubby went to Ukraine a few years ago with a men's missionary construction group, he spent one day visiting a school for deaf kids there. Our deaf friend went with him. The hearing Ukrainian teacher spoke to the hearing interpreter, who translated into spoken English. Then, Hubby interpreted into American PSE for our deaf friend. Long process.

The teachers explained that the children were not allowed to learn or use sign language until high school. For elementary school the emphasis was oral. The only "accommodations" they had were headsets that plugged into their desks.

The poor kids had bare asphalt for a playground (no play equipment). Their classroom didn't even have a globe. They didn't even understand that the earth was round. :(

Anyway, we have other missionary friends in Ukraine now, and they minister to hearing and deaf people.

I don't know how the situation is in Russia. I do know a contact at Silent Word Ministries who manages the international missionaries to the deaf, including Siberia and Russia. Maybe he can get you a contact. :dunno:

This is his email, if you're interested:

davidbennett@swmi.org

Silent Word Ministries International

p.s. Did you know about the World Championship of Martial Arts of Deaf Athletes in Moscow?

p.s. These are Ukraine, not Russia, but maybe they have contacts:

Ukraine

Faith Baptist Church,Pulkovskii 4, Kharkov, UA : Missionary John & Cathy O'Brien, E-Mail: furlough@missions2ukraine.com, Phone: 38-067-724-4452 (Deaf Ministry)

Simferopol Baptist Church,5 Bakhchisaraiskaya Street, Simferopol, Crimea, UA : Pastor Bob Van Sant, E-Mail: bjvansant@pop.cris.net, Phone: 38-0654-516-569, (Deaf Church) Pastor Slava Kratko

Welcome aboard on AD.

I will ask them if they know of an organization or individual who is on contract with US Embassy. The odds of finding one is almost impossible but I'm sure they have one. However, I'm not going to waste a lot of time trying to find one since I'm learning RSL and making contacts with Deaf Russian friends here.

Thanks for the heads up. :thumb:

My friend wants me go with her to Kiev sometime this year. I have been considering for a while until someone I know on other bulletin-board told me about the situations in Kiev/Ukraine and that he wouldn't go there without a bodyguard. He gave me several good ideas such as hiring a bodyguard to go with us to Kiev and probably an interpreter/translator for me. Now Reba has just provided links, I plan to check it out. Thanks, Reba.

My friend wants me go with her to Kiev sometime this year. I have been considering for a while until someone I know on other bulletin-board told me about the situations in Kiev/Ukraine and that he wouldn't go there without a bodyguard. He gave me several good ideas such as hiring a bodyguard to go with us to Kiev and probably an interpreter/translator for me. Now Reba has just provided links, I plan to check it out. Thanks, Reba.
Hubby visited the Kiev area. Crime and corruption is a problem. You really should have a local person that you trust be your guide.

Most of the private homes are like mini fortresses, with high walls and locked gates, and guard dogs.

The gasoline was not pure. Drivers had to filter it with cheese cloth when they filled their tanks.

The toilet paper is rough brown. It doesn't have a hole in it to hang up because people carry it with them. Bring your own TP if you want to be sure of having some. Whatever you don't use, leave the rest with your host.

It's traditional to give a personal gift to people that you visit. Bring some small American treats with you. Hubby took lots of Ivory Soap bars, pencils with erasers and little plastic sharpeners for the kids (they were sharpening their pencils with knives), nice ballpoint pens, small gardening tools, etc. It depends on if you will be visiting city or country folk. But they usually like any luxury item from America. Just don't take any contraband. They are very strict about what you bring in or take out of the country.

They don't have lots of public restrooms, so plan accordingly. One church that Hubby visited still used an outhouse. It had a window so you could greet your friends when they walked by, ha, ha.

Don't drink tap water. Don't eat anything grown or fished from the Chernobyl area (it's illegal and deadly). Be sure the sour cream is fresh before you eat it.

I hope you like potatoes. They are served with every meal. But they don't cook them in variety--no french fries, hashbrowns, or potato chips.

Postal service was bad. None of the people in Kiev used their mail boxes because all mail would be stolen. They preferred to use couriers to hand carry mail and packages. Often they asked travelers to carry mail with them to the USA to mail for them.

Hubby and his friends left from the American South when they went to Ukraine. They were used to smiling and greeting strangers. The Ukrainians were not used to that, and would look at them suspiciously. The Christians that they stayed with and worked with were friendly to them but strangers were very wary.

It's been a few years since Hubby was there but our friends that just came back from Ukraine a few weeks ago said that it hasn't changed much. Buildings and roads keep getting older, and they don't get replaced.

When Hubby's group rode in cars at night they noticed that the drivers rarely used their car lights. It was hard to get replacement parts, so they "conserved" light use. They only used them if there were no street lights. They also took their windshield wipers off the cars when they parked in town, and kept them with them so they wouldn't get stolen.

Police were very harsh there. If they tell you to "come here", do it quickly. They have no "Miranda Rights" to worry about. Have some cash ready in case they offer to let you pay your "ticket" on the spot (really, it's a bribe but don't call it that). If you don't comply or give them back talk they can beat you, no questions asked.

Despite all those things, Hubby enjoyed his trip. All the guys in his group enjoyed it. Two of them were so touched by the people that it inspired them to become missionaries after. One couple went back to Ukraine as permanent missionaries there. The people really are great once they know that they can trust you. They are also very hospitable if you are invited into their homes. They will give the visitors all the best food, and scrimp for themselves.

You don't need a bodyguard. It's not dangerous as you think. I can walk around in Moscow alone and no problem. I don't think Kiev will be any dangerous than Moscow. Just keep a low profile and use your commonsense then you'll be fine. You can get electronic translator and it will be good enough to communicate with some Russians. People speak Russian in Ukraine.

You can easily find English speaking interpreters in Kiev and they can be your guide as well but be prepare to pay something like $10/hr.

You don't need a bodyguard. It's not dangerous as you think. I can walk around in Moscow alone and no problem. I don't think Kiev will be any dangerous than Moscow. Just keep a low profile and use your commonsense then you'll be fine. You can get electronic translator and it will be good enough to communicate with some Russians. People speak Russian in Ukraine....
Yeah, I don't think they need a bodyguard; but a local guide is a good idea.

Low profile is right; don't flash money or valuables, and don't insist on doing anything the "American" way.

When Hubby was in Kiev the local people were adamant that they were Ukrainian, and that they preferred to speak Ukrainian, not Russian. Maybe they've changed since then. :dunno:

Hubby visited the Kiev area. Crime and corruption is a problem. You really should have a local person that you trust be your guide.

It's not widespread as you think. I've lived in Ukraine and now I'm living in Moscow Russia. Yes, there are crimes but not bad as you think and corruption is rampant. Again like I said in my previous post... tourists should use their commonsense especially in any big cities like New York City.

The toilet paper is rough brown. It doesn't have a hole in it to hang up because people carry it with them. Bring your own TP if you want to be sure of having some. Whatever you don't use, leave the rest with your host.

Not anymore. They still sell those brown toilet papers but they also have western toilet papers that soft. It's no longer a Soviet Union here.

It's traditional to give a personal gift to people that you visit. Bring some small American treats with you. Hubby took lots of Ivory Soap bars, pencils with erasers and little plastic sharpeners for the kids (they were sharpening their pencils with knives), nice ballpoint pens, small gardening tools, etc. It depends on if you will be visiting city or country folk. But they usually like any luxury item from America. Just don't take any contraband. They are very strict about what you bring in or take out of the country.

Do not try to take out any Soviet souvenirs or Soviet currency. Don't take out Ukrainian or Russian currency either. You can get in trouble if you try to leave the country with it.

They don't have lots of public restrooms, so plan accordingly. One church that Hubby visited still used an outhouse. It had a window so you could greet your friends when they walked by, ha, ha.

This is common outside of the city but many restaurants, hotels have good bathroom and homes in the city too.

Don't drink tap water. Don't eat anything grown or fished from the Chernobyl area (it's illegal and deadly). Be sure the sour cream is fresh before you eat it.

That's true... even the city water may look clean but do not drink it. It got foreign microbes in it that your body is not accustomed to it and you can have nasty diarrhea. I had that problem when I first visited here but not anymore since my body is used to the water here. Don't eat salad and always eat hot food then you'll be fine. Just take your diarrhea medicine with you just in case because drugs here are not same as you'll find in America.

I hope you like potatoes. They are served with every meal. But they don't cook them in variety--no french fries, hashbrowns, or potato chips.

They do have french fries (McDonalds exists here!) and food stores have potatoe chips.

Postal service was bad. None of the people in Kiev used their mail boxes because all mail would be stolen. They preferred to use couriers to hand carry mail and packages. Often they asked travelers to carry mail with them to the USA to mail for them.

Very true... Postal service sucks here... 1 out of 5 packages shipped from the States never arrive here. I'm still waiting for one package since January. Use DHL or FedEx if you want reliable delivery service but they're very expensive.

Hubby and his friends left from the American South when they went to Ukraine. They were used to smiling and greeting strangers. The Ukrainians were not used to that, and would look at them suspiciously. The Christians that they stayed with and worked with were friendly to them but strangers were very wary.

It's a culture thing. When Ukrainians or Russians see someone smiling.. they're think that person is an idiot or have mental problem. I do that here when the Russian police stops me to check my papers and I would smile. I do that on purpose so they'll think I'm an idiot foreigner and they'll leave me alone. :)

It's been a few years since Hubby was there but our friends that just came back from Ukraine a few weeks ago said that it hasn't changed much. Buildings and roads keep getting older, and they don't get replaced.

Alot has changed. They have mega shopping centers that are modern like in America but the prices are about 30% more expensive.

When Hubby's group rode in cars at night they noticed that the drivers rarely used their car lights. It was hard to get replacement parts, so they "conserved" light use. They only used them if there were no street lights. They also took their windshield wipers off the cars when they parked in town, and kept them with them so they wouldn't get stolen.

Not anymore... GAI (state police) is getting tough on inspections and giving fines to drivers if their car is not in compliance. They do random car inspection at different locations and they pull cars off the road to do this.

Police were very harsh there. If they tell you to "come here", do it quickly. They have no "Miranda Rights" to worry about. Have some cash ready in case they offer to let you pay your "ticket" on the spot (really, it's a bribe but don't call it that). If you don't comply or give them back talk they can beat you, no questions asked.

Where did you get this? It happens but it's rare. Yes, people's rights are not usually protected and bribes do occur but not always. Like I said, be smart and be prepared to give them $5 or $10. If you know what you're doing then you can get away easily like try to smile, don't speak and act like an idiot. They won't waste their time with idiots.

Despite all those things, Hubby enjoyed his trip. All the guys in his group enjoyed it. Two of them were so touched by the people that it inspired them to become missionaries after. One couple went back to Ukraine as permanent missionaries there. The people really are great once they know that they can trust you. They are also very hospitable if you are invited into their homes. They will give the visitors all the best food, and scrimp for themselves.

Very true but alot of this information you said are outdated and you're trying to make someone think Ukraine/Russia is terrible country. It's not true.. it's different and difficult country to live.. but you're stretching the truth a bit. It's a great country to visit, understand the culture and language and of course you have to use your commonsense like in any big cities. Towns outside of the city are ancient, old but it's like living in the house in the old west. It's different but the cities are becoming more modern like the cities in the Western countries.

Russian and American people have very very different culture, even now. We still have very different thoughts. It's because Russian people have lived in a very isolated country during the Communism for many years. It doesn't matter how much different after the Communism's collapse.

For example, the boys wrapped around their shoulders with their arms. In America, it would be obvious that they are gay. They don't think of them as gay in Russia as a normal culture. It is just like the culture style back in the 1950's or 1960's.

I asked a Russian deaf boy where is a public bathroom. I followed him a sort of a long way, and I realized that it was easy for me to get lost in the city without him. There were no signs of stores, groceries, and a public restroom. I had to go number #2 so badly so I was glad that he helped me to get there and took me back where I was in the group of deaf students. In the bathroom, there was no toilet seat just a big dark hole, no "booth" door, and a "brown wax" paper roll. Oh well, that's life.

I do not think that Russian people are bad. They are very friendly. But, the policemen are the real problem that can abuse some deaf people because they think that deaf people are still dumb. The police do not have a good education program.

I really do not know about now because many countries are so angry with Bush, and they had a big riot in their country when he visited there for a convention. I really do not know if they really hate American people. Correct me if I am wrong.

Russian and American people have very very different culture, even now. We still have very different thoughts. It's because Russian people have lived in a very isolated country during the Communism for many years. It doesn't matter how much different after the Communism's collapse.

For example, the boys wrapped around their shoulders with their arms. In America, it would be obvious that they are gay. They don't think of them as gay in Russia as a normal culture. It is just like the culture style back in the 1950's or 1960's.

I asked a Russian deaf boy where is a public bathroom. I followed him a sort of a long way, and I realized that it was easy for me to get lost in the city without him. There were no signs of stores, groceries, and a public restroom. I had to go number #2 so badly so I was glad that he helped me to get there and took me back where I was in the group of deaf students. In the bathroom, there was no toilet seat just a big dark hole, no "booth" door, and a "brown wax" paper roll. Oh well, that's life.

I do not think that Russian people are bad. They are very friendly. But, the policemen are the real problem that can abuse some deaf people because they think that deaf people are still dumb. The police do not have a good education program.

I really do not know about now because many countries are so angry with Bush, and they had a big riot in their country when he visited there for a convention. I really do not know if they really hate American people. Correct me if I am wrong.

I've seen some restaurants have hole in the floor and some do not have toilet rolls available. That's why I always take my little Kleenex travel pack with me just in case. You know the small pack that fits inside your pocket. It's very useful for situation like this. I also take small hand sanitizer bottle too since some places don't have soap to wash your hands even at some restaurants or nice stores.

Russians generally like Americans but they hate American government. It's pretty much like Americans don't like Russian government but they like Russian people. Same thing. I try to avoid talking about American politics but I don't have any problem criticizing the Bush administration so Russians have much respect for me. Of course, I've heard Russians say American is a bad country or Bush is a bad president... they're talking about American politics or policies but not the American people. I always try to avoid talking about Russian politics and if they insist, I tell them that I have much respect for their president and that's all I will say especially with strangers. I don't have problems talking American or Russian politics with Russian friends that I know.. at least we have better understanding about each other's country.

Back