Internship in Deaf/ HoH school in the States

No idea- I think most are already local as there's still the deaf school in Morganton. The Central school closed long ago and I think most went to ENCSD. The Morganton school I think is even smaller than ENCSD so i don't know why they just don't consolidate into one Deaf school and either put the campus in Wilson or Morganton.

Wouldn't surprise me if some do move closer as Raleigh-Durham and the Research Triangle are close by.

NCSD in Morganton isn't that small. Don't know exactly how it works now but they do have dorms for live in students and run buses too those that are local.

Are many Deaf schools closing? Why that? Do they want to integrate Deaf/HoH in mainstream schools? ( I hope not as I went to a mainstream school)

Yes because of the audist views that deaf children dont need to be around other deaf/hoh children and that they will lead "normal" lives if they are mainstreamed with hearing peers. I think it is wrong.

It is, but it is VERY small, and they shut down the campus. It's mostly outreach, and preschool/kindergarten, with a ghost of an actual school age program..... It's now basicly a self contained program. Not really a school any more.

Did Clarke ever have a residential component?

Yes because of the audist views that deaf children dont need to be around other deaf/hoh children and that they will lead "normal" lives if they are mainstreamed with hearing peers. I think it is wrong.

Yes of course it is wrong :( I went to a mainstream school all my life and it wasn't that easy.I always tried to act "as normal as possible"( hiding hearing aid with hairs, if I didn't understand smth I simply nodded instead of asking the people to repeat the sentence or speak louder etc.) The contact to other deaf/hoh peers is also really important for the selfesteem and Identity of the children.
I really hope that they don't shut down all schools :( "Trying to lead a normal live" is the wrong signal. The children wil always try to reach the ideal to be as normal as possible which will never be fully possible because of the communication barrier :(

Actually it is a combonation of audism and the fact that our special ed policy is driven by parents of mentally disabled students who act like if you even SUGGEST a specialized school or program, that you're a Nazi who is being mean about the FACT that mentally disabled kids generally can't keep up with typical academics, and are general ignored socially by typical kids.
That means Inclusion, inclusion and even more inclusion for EVERYONE, without thinking that many kids might be better off in a dhh program or a blind/low vison program or a program for ID kids and so on.

Back