insulin shots cost

netrox

Reaction score
I wonder... how much does an insulin shot cost? What if a diabetic is poor and doesn't have insurance and can't afford insulin? Are there programs that provide insulin shots for free?

I went through with that during my 2nd pregnancy...NO FUN!

It is expensive my god! It eat up our money! But after I had my baby, it went away....whew!

I have (still in fridge) 2 different pens (one for meals time only and other one is bedtime) it has unit on it....easy do it than the old fashioned way... bottle one with needle.

ce111f9dbb6ef72330b1c610854d-grande.jpg

Old fashioned way

diabetes.jpg

New ones...I liked this one better cuz of better to control the unit than figure out....

Last is pills....some prefer pills, some prefer insulin. I think insulin has a better control with sugar than pills. That is in my opinion. There is no right or wrong.

Also you need to check your sugar when you wake up and one hour after you eat. Those are expensive too. Insurance do cover some.

I am not sure if you can get them for free...but try apply for medicaid? I don't know....Good luck to find a way to get your medication.

no no... I am NOT diabetic. I am curious HOW diabetics (type I) cope with their medications and what happens if they lose job and cannot afford them? I understand that they have to take insulin shots to manage their blood sugar. Without them, they die. So it just bothers me if there's no universal coverage for diabetics. It's not their fault, you know?

no no... I am NOT diabetic. I am curious HOW diabetics (type I) cope with their medications and what happens if they lose job and cannot afford them? I understand that they have to take insulin shots to manage their blood sugar. Without them, they die. So it just bothers me if there's no universal coverage for diabetics. It's not their fault, you know?

They would have to go on a strict diet to manage their diets if they can't afford to buy insulin shots.

Educate yourself

They would have to go on a strict diet to manage their diets if they can't afford to buy insulin shots.[/QUOTE

Type 1 Diabetes CANNOT be controlled with diet and excercise. It is an auto immune disease and your pancreas cannot make insulin, therefore you must inject it into your body in order to live. It has nothing to do with poor diet or excercise habits.

I get SOOOO angry when I read comments like these. If you don't know anything about the disease, please refrain from commenting. I am AMAZED everyday about the lack of knowledge people have about Type 1 Diabetes.

They would have to go on a strict diet to manage their diets if they can't afford to buy insulin shots.

Type 1 diabetes is NOT in any way related to diet, and even if the person consumed no carbs whatsoever, they would still die due to lack of insulin pretty quickly.

Type 2 diabetics can and do experience beta cell failure and NEED insulin just as much as type 1s, and die without it.

Don't say stupid shit, k? (Old post is old, but since it's been bumped up I'mma give you a talking down anyways.)

To answer your question a year late: some resort to using the cheapest insulins on the market, the old generation of -lin insulins that doesn't work as well and doesn't give you the precise control of new -log insulins.

Some pay out of pocket. Lantus, humalog, and pen needles cost about 500 a month. If you got vials, maybe 350 a month.

Some resort to going to emergency rooms on a regular basis to get their insulin, and go knee-deep into debt.

Some might be able to get medicaid. If they're lucky.

Type 1 Diabetes CANNOT be controlled with diet and excercise. It is an auto immune disease and your pancreas cannot make insulin, therefore you must inject it into your body in order to live. It has nothing to do with poor diet or excercise habits.

I get SOOOO angry when I read comments like these. If you don't know anything about the disease, please refrain from commenting. I am AMAZED everyday about the lack of knowledge people have about Type 1 Diabetes.

I stand corrected after re-reading what Netrox said. However, I'm well aware that type 1 requires insulin shots despite the mistake that I made.

There is no need to get angry over meaningless comments.

Type 1 diabetes is NOT in any way related to diet, and even if the person consumed no carbs whatsoever, they would still die due to lack of insulin pretty quickly.

Type 2 diabetics can and do experience beta cell failure and NEED insulin just as much as type 1s, and die without it.

Don't say stupid shit, k? (Old post is old, but since it's been bumped up I'mma give you a talking down anyways.)

Somebody need to teach you some manners.

It all depends on how many cc's you need at a time. A typical bottle of Lantus costs about $125. And you divide that by how many cc's you need per shot. This is weight-based (the amount of cc's) so it's not the same for everyone.

And, unfortunately, since insulin is stored at room temperature for humans (versus at refrigerator temperature for animals), a Lantus bottle is only good up to 28 days. So if you cannot use all of the bottle in a month, then the rest is wasted. So that's a cost factor as well.

My dad used to be type 2 and was only taking a pill every day. Since he wasnt taking good care of himself he is now type one and needs insulin daily. He wasnt able to afford his insulin but there are public programs that help you get it. He had visited a clinic here in town and the clinic helps you get the meds you need for little to no extra cost. Each state has programs like these.

Being a Diabetic Type I, I paid $30 for the packet of 5 insulin pens (Novolog) and 5 or 10 Lantus pens.

I paid $225 for the packet of 5 Humalog insulin pens at a pharmacy store one time because I did not realize that pharmacy store is not on the approved pharmacy list from my insurance provider. Opps! First and last purchase! I found other pharmacy store on the approved list and I have been bought that stuff ever since.

Being a Diabetic Type I, I paid $30 for the packet of 5 insulin pens (Novolog) and 5 or 10 Lantus pens.

I paid $225 for the packet of 5 Humalog insulin pens at a pharmacy store one time because I did not realize that pharmacy store is not on the approved pharmacy list from my insurance provider. Opps! First and last purchase! I found other pharmacy store on the approved list and I have been bought that stuff ever since.

My step son is Type 1 and has been since he was 6 yrs old. He is 16 now. He uses a pump, and we get Humalog for him. :)

If you do not mind me asking. When did you find out you were type 1?

my cousin have insulin shot on diabie, my uncle on diable another!

my dad also had insulin and diabetic both and he did himself shot every morning and night before eat and before bedtimes and also my late grandma also had same one.

i didnt got one same insulin and diabetic but im on pre-diabetic under dr's advisor

my great-grandma Spencer also had diabetic and my great-aunt also had diabetic but my great-grandma Spencer is nearly blind for have diabetic but my aunt and my mom explain to me i says "oh really!"

hi , I am physician in nj, my secretary gave a message that 2 patients that are deaf, want to come to my office for evaluation , i have not been in this situation before, basically I need some info, Is there any translation agency of videoweb that I can use to help these patients? and I believe they only understand spanish, Is sign language the same in English and Spanish?
please let me know

I wonder... how much does an insulin shot cost? What if a diabetic is poor and doesn't have insurance and can't afford insulin? Are there programs that provide insulin shots for free?

If a diabetic is poor, then should consider lifestyle change…

Back