Info on STEM CELLS from scientific source

well, little by little, as we'll be online every day if not in this forum as another, when we find more information we will share it, whether scientific information, or information websites are slowly ...

Not hard to get .PDFs of research papers from academic sources.

Biotech websites should not be reliable. Ever.

we insist that every day on the internet. For example CordBloodRegistry expect results, but we are also attentive to daily reports of stem cells deafness. Besides, there are many scientific reports have been shared, if not enough and we'll share ...

we insist that every day on the internet. For example CordBloodRegistry expect results, but we are also attentive to daily reports of stem cells deafness. Besides, there are many scientific reports have been shared, if not enough and we'll share ...

Yet those types of papers don't show up whenever I tap into the neuro-science (or genetics) database at the University of Alberta, apart from rodents!

CordBloodRegistry is plunging? Am I at risk the health of children? Beike lie?...

"Cord Blood Registry Supports Introduction of the Cord Blood Education and Awareness Act of 2009

Landmark Bill to Advance Education and Informed Consent Recommendations Established by the Institutes of Medicine

SAN BRUNO, Calif. - April 29, 2009 - Cord Blood Registry (CBR), the global leader in the collection and preservation of newborn stem cells from umbilical cord blood, announced its support of legislation introduced by Congresswoman Jackie Speier (D-CA) entitled the "Cord Blood Education and Awareness Act of 2009." If passed, this ground-breaking legislation will require the Secretary of Health and Human Services to develop and disseminate public education materials that will educate patients and physicians on the value of umbilical cord blood stem cells and set standards for patients to document the choice they've made about banking their newborn's cord blood stem cells. The Institutes of Medicine introduced recommendations on informed choice about cord blood banking in a comprehensive study submitted to Congress in 2004.

"Throughout her distinguished career, Congresswoman Speier has been a champion for women's and children's health issues, and we are pleased to see a legislator of her stature and experience recognize the need for public education on the value of newborn stem cells," said David Zitlow, senior vice president of public affairs for CBR. "As a California legislator she introduced the Maternal Child & Health Advancement Act, which became one of the first state laws to focus attention on the importance of educating every expectant parent about cord blood stem cells."

Umbilical cord blood is a rich and diverse source of newborn stem cells that can be collected without ethical concerns in a ten minute window immediately after birth. Newborn stem cells have been used for during the last 20 years to treat life-threatening cancers like leukemia and lymphoma, as well as immune system deficiencies and blood disorders, such as sickle cell anemia.

Additionally, this population of stem cells is increasingly a sought-after source for clinical research in regenerative medicine because these cells have demonstrated embryonic-like capabilities to proliferate and develop into all of the major cell types in the body -- without tumor or immune response issues. Regenerative therapies using newborn stem cells from cord blood are being evaluated for conditions including traumatic brain injury, cerebral palsy, stroke, type 1 diabetes, heart disorders and hearing loss.

In addition to the creation of a patient education campaign, Rep. Speier's legislation provides for the development of materials to focus on educating maternal health care providers. A study published in the Journal of Reproductive Health found that more than 90 percent of patients with some familiarity about cord blood banking had an expectation that their obstetricians would be able to provide information on this subject.

Further, the Cord Blood Education and Empowerment Act requires the Department of Health and Human Services to develop a standardized document and process for health care professionals to obtain written acknowledgement from patients - also called informed consent -that confirms they have received education on cord blood banking options and records their decision. Because the availability of these cells may have implications for future health treatment decisions, this provision will provide additional support for parents to make a more informed decision.

"With this legislation, Rep. Speier has set forth a national health policy framework that will help save more lives," said Zitlow. "By empowering physicians and patients with new resources, this legislation will help maximize access to and availability of newborn stem cells for patient care and medical research."

About Cord Blood Registry
Cord Blood Registry® (CBR®) is the world's largest stem cell bank, focused on the collection, processing and storage of newborn stem cells from umbilical cord blood and ensuring their viability for medical use. CBR is the most recommended family cord blood bank by obstetricians and was the first family bank accredited by AABB (formerly the American Association of Blood Banks). The company has been profitable and cash flow positive from operations on a cumulative basis since 1999. To date, CBR has processed and stored cord blood units for more than 260,000 newborns from around the world and has released more client cord blood units for specific therapeutic use than any other family cord blood bank. The company's research and development efforts are focused on helping the world's leading clinical researchers advance regenerative medical therapies using cord blood stem cells as well as enhancing its industry-leading technical innovations for stem cell collection, processing and storage that optimize quality and cell yield. For more information, visit www.CordBlood.com".
source: Cord Blood Registry - Press Releases

example:
#

Revoltella RP, Papini S, Rosellini A, et al. Cochlear repair by transplantation of human cord blood CD133+ cells to nod-scid mice made deaf with kanamycin and noise. Cell Transplant. 2008;17(6):665-678.
#

Niskar AS, Kieszak SM, Holmes A, Esteban E, Rubin C, Brody DJ. Prevalence of hearing loss among children 6 to 19 years of age: the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. JAMA. 1998;279(14):1071-1075.
#

National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (NIDCD): Quick Statistics.
Available at Quick Statistics [NIDCD Health Information]. Accessed September 18, 2008.

source: http://www.cordonvital.com/ProfesionalesSalud/CB_Research/Reparacion_coclear_oido_interno.html

example:
#

Revoltella RP, Papini S, Rosellini A, et al. Cochlear repair by transplantation of human cord blood CD133+ cells to nod-scid mice made deaf with kanamycin and noise. Cell Transplant. 2008;17(6):665-678.
#

Niskar AS, Kieszak SM, Holmes A, Esteban E, Rubin C, Brody DJ. Prevalence of hearing loss among children 6 to 19 years of age: the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. JAMA. 1998;279(14):1071-1075.
#

National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (NIDCD): Quick Statistics.
Available at Quick Statistics [NIDCD Health Information]. Accessed September 18, 2008.

source: http://www.cordonvital.com/ProfesionalesSalud/CB_Research/Reparacion_coclear_oido_interno.html

I happened to be able to access those papers, and they are nothing more than possibilities. They do not support the websites you continually quote at all. Did you bother to read them?

What do statistics from the NIDCD have to do with the credibility of the websites you are posting?

There is plenty of proof of stem cells treating other diseases,
Bone marrow (stem cell) transplants can cure things like leukiemia, leukeodystrphy and bubble boy disease. But it can't cure hearing loss or anything like that. Not saying it's not gonna happen...........just that you are VERY prematureally optimistic. Virtually ALL the stem cell advances have been in the lab. And yes.....there are the reports from China........but Chinese medicence isn't something I'd trust......heck they said that panda penis or whatever can cure impotence!

AUDIOGRAM PROOF OF STEM CELLS SUCCESSFULLY TREATING HEARING LOSS.

From Beike Biotech. I have been in touch with them since earlier this year. They responded earlier that they hadn't yet treated Sensorineural Hearing Loss. Obviously, things have changed on that front:

We are also happy to tell you that we have successfully treated two patients with severe sensorineural hearing loss with stem cell. The last patient was discharged last week from our [name removed to protect privacy] treatment center. We arranged some hearing tests for this 4 years old patient before and after stem cell treatment. Also we carried out a treatment satisfaction survey with the parents after treatment. Patient witnessed great improvement after stem cell treatment and was satisfied with this treatment.

Below we will give you a comparsion about the change of related hearing tests before and after stem cell treatment of this patient.

ASSR

Before

Freq. - Right (dB) / Left (dB)
250 - 70 / 70
500 - 91 / na
1000 - 106 / na
2000 - na / na
4000 - na / 98

After

Freq. - Right (dB) / Left (dB)
250 - 60 / 40
500 - 84 / 84
1000 - 74 / 109
2000 - 92 / 107
4000 - 101 / 96

ABR - No significant changes after treatment.

The results can't get anymore scientific than that other than long term studies. More treatments will probably yield more results after what I've seen online.

Beike Biotech is heavily discussed. Even Nature talked about that some time ago (if I find time I'll look for that article). Several scientists expressed opinions against the therapies applied there. Basically they are doing something not based on officially accepted scientific results. This is not necessarily bad, altough there are several similar examples in other fields and usually at the end facts demonstrate that "official" science was right.
It is important to take this in mind. You accept a treatment not well understood, not based on solid scientific data, results cannot be guaranteed and risks are not evaluated at all. It could hopefully work. Obviously this concept is very far from what we can usually get in the modern world hospitals...

Anyway, costs seem to be unbeliavably low...

ref74- $17,000 - $34,000 for treatment is unbelievably low? I would love to know what planet you're on and where that kind of a cost for such treatment is extremely low. Perhaps I have a chance at financial freedom at last!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

thanks for the information!!!

AUDIOGRAM PROOF OF STEM CELLS SUCCESSFULLY TREATING HEARING LOSS.

From Beike Biotech. I have been in touch with them since earlier this year. They responded earlier that they hadn't yet treated Sensorineural Hearing Loss. Obviously, things have changed on that front:

The results can't get anymore scientific than that other than long term studies. More treatments will probably yield more results after what I've seen online.

thanks for the information! :lol:

Phi4Sius, thanks so much for sharing the good news! I have blogged this(link in sig) I am so excited! His results are amazing for early stem cell technology! I love that 40db HL at 250Hz! Bet he hears lots of wonderful sounds unaided by now! I have commented sooooooo much on this in my blog!

The results real or made up do not prove stem cells are ready for prime time. There needs to be data for speech discrimination and also other research centers would have to show they can get similar results and the results would have to be peer reviewed and published in journals.

There are also some other issues. We still don't know what if any side effects might occur years down the road. Will the treatment need to be repeated?
Finally, Insurance is going to drag its feet paying for such treatment. It will be considered experimental for years until the treatment is shown to work.

The results real or made up do not prove stem cells are ready for prime time. There needs to be data for speech discrimination and also other research centers would have to show they can get similar results and the results would have to be peer reviewed and published in journals.

There are also some other issues. We still don't know what if any side effects might occur years down the road. Will the treatment need to be repeated?
Finally, Insurance is going to drag its feet paying for such treatment. It will be considered experimental for years until the treatment is shown to work.

Good points...

They prove stem cells work in humans, something you guys said wasn't possible! We know stem cells for deafness isn't ready for "prime time" but the point was to show that stem cells is a viable option for humans! As for speech discrimination, everyone is different so expect scores to be all over the board not unlike CI where some with CI score 0% while others get near 100%. It has much to do with how much training you put! But one thing that is true is that whatever your speech discrimination before stem cells, itll be higher after stem cells! That can't even be guaranteed with CI. I could end up at 0% after CI for all I know and can't go back to HAs. With stem cells improving my hearing, my speech score of course will improve!

Whatever side effects occur, if any do will be resolved when we get to that point. More stem cells will be able to handle those side effects as well as repeat the treatment, this is especially true for those with progressive hearing loss till they find a way to stop the progression with stem cells, genes or something else. I do not expect insurance to pay for stem cells, there is way too many people with hearing loss. Insurance will consider stem cells elective, but insurance will also stop paying for CI because there's a better "elective" option.

They prove stem cells work in humans, something you guys said wasn't possible! We know stem cells for deafness isn't ready for "prime time" but the point was to show that stem cells is a viable option for humans! As for speech discrimination, everyone is different so expect scores to be all over the board not unlike CI where some with CI score 0% while others get near 100%. It has much to do with how much training you put! But one thing that is true is that whatever your speech discrimination before stem cells, itll be higher after stem cells! That can't even be guaranteed with CI. I could end up at 0% after CI for all I know and can't go back to HAs. With stem cells improving my hearing, my speech score of course will improve!

Whatever side effects occur, if any do will be resolved when we get to that point. More stem cells will be able to handle those side effects as well as repeat the treatment, this is especially true for those with progressive hearing loss till they find a way to stop the progression with stem cells, genes or something else. I do not expect insurance to pay for stem cells, there is way too many people with hearing loss. Insurance will consider stem cells elective, but insurance will also stop paying for CI because there's a better "elective" option.

No, it only proves, that if these results are factual, it seemed to work at this moment for this individual. Doesn't prove anything long term, and doesn't prove anything generalizable to the whole deaf population.

Side effects are quite often not resolvable. And they can easily cause permanent damage worse than the disorder being treated.

Back