Info on STEM CELLS from scientific source

Will, will, will, will, will.....

You HOPE. You have ZERO proof, and really high expectations. Why would you jump into something that is in no way proven safe or effective? And that is assuming that it ever does actually happen!

I will say one thing about high expectations. Regardless of whether stem cells or other forms of technology become available (and I really hope they do), some of us are really wishing for this, and high expectations come as a result. I may not be sure that any of this is realistic, but I have said how much I would love to be hearing, so I can understand other's high hopes as well.

Hopes and expectation are quite understandable. All of us hope stem cells or any other thing could come right now and finally give a cure without risks and side-effects.
Unfortunately life is much much more complicated than dreams. Stem cells will come, they will be a step forward, but they will carry their own limitations, associated risks, failure rate, etc. They will follow some progress in the years and hopefully they will be the promised land of hearing restoring. Hopefully.
The question still remain unanswered is "when?".

Hopes and expectation are quite understandable. All of us hope stem cells or any other thing could come right now and finally give a cure without risks and side-effects.
Unfortunately life is much much more complicated than dreams. Stem cells will come, they will be a step forward, but they will carry their own limitations, associated risks, failure rate, etc. They will follow some progress in the years and hopefully they will be the promised land of hearing restoring. Hopefully.
The question still remain unanswered is "when?".

It's realistic to expect an easy 20db improvement in your unaided hearing. I honestly don't expect a complete restoration anytime soon till stem cell technology becomes mature. In the near future, people like me will travel to another country to get stem cells experimentally and get our 20db, even 40db improvement and be less deaf or HOH. Then when stem cells mature, we will get it again in our own country and have our hearing improved to the point we don't need HAs anymore.

The question of when can be answered: Today a few dozen people worldwide have gotten stem cells for hearing loss but a few thousand have gotten stem cells for much more serious conditions. Those with hearing loss don't need to be in any hurry and just like me, they are waiting for stem cell technology to develop/evolve. I give it anywhere from 2 to 5 years before I go ahead with stem cells for hearing loss to get a partial improvement(20-40db better hearing). This timeframe would depend on how many others go ahead before me and how good their results are. For a complete restoration(25db HL or better), I give it anywhere from 10 to 20 years. That's what others are projecting as well. They are thinking of a full restoration when stem cells is mentioned. I am fine with a partial restoration as I can always get a full restoration years later.

Guys, I can create tens of websites with any kind of things written on them. Can I expect people would believe?
How can you be sure with information taken from websites you need google translation to understand!?!?
My impression is you believe to these info because you like what you read. How can you believe to that and do not give any credit to scientific information telling the contrary?!?
I am really out of words...

cPanel While it is great to have high hopes there are also setbacks. The latest news I just read states http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/09/health/research/09drug.html

What is interesting about this study was that the placebo effect was throwing the positive results of the stem drug off. However the drug did seems to help a much smaller subset of patients however the FDA states that the drug is a failure in the two clinical trials results. This in turn caused the stock price of Osiris Therapeutics to drop. In all my years medical technology always have been frustrating slow.

An there is hope from another source for stem cells from Liposuction leftovers
Liposuction leftovers make easy stem cells: study | Science | Reuters

No, I don't think there will be risks, I know for a fact that there are already known risks that have been determined scientifically and medically, and additional probable risks that cannot be determinined without logitudinal studies.

They are recruiting children for experimental purposes. You ever seen the paperwork that parents have to sign to get their kid into a clinical trial like this? The researchers are aware that there are risks both known and unknown, and therefore, parents must sign a legal document stating that they will not hold the researchers responsible for any negative consequences that may occur during the experimental procedure.

I do not know if you've reported on influenza vaccine, for example want to mass vaccinate many people without even having gone through the pilot phase. Yesterday I heard they plan to do experimental tests with a group of children in Spain Los ensayos de la vacuna en España empezarán en 15 días y son «seguros» - Sociedad_Sanidad - Sociedad - ABC.es. We do not know the risks, but it is urgent to control the pandemic. What do you think? Do not you think it is wrong to vaccinate millions of people without formal experimental controls?

cPanel While it is great to have high hopes there are also setbacks. The latest news I just read states http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/09/health/research/09drug.html

What is interesting about this study was that the placebo effect was throwing the positive results of the stem drug off. However the drug did seems to help a much smaller subset of patients however the FDA states that the drug is a failure in the two clinical trials results. This in turn caused the stock price of Osiris Therapeutics to drop. In all my years medical technology always have been frustrating slow.

An there is hope from another source for stem cells from Liposuction leftovers
Liposuction leftovers make easy stem cells: study | Science | Reuters

but continue to investigate, they will not stop more being a multinational, draw anything, if something fails go to the other ...

I do not know if you've reported on influenza vaccine, for example want to mass vaccinate many people without even having gone through the pilot phase. Yesterday I heard they plan to do experimental tests with a group of children in Spain Los ensayos de la vacuna en España empezarán en 15 días y son «seguros» - Sociedad_Sanidad - Sociedad - ABC.es. We do not know the risks, but it is urgent to control the pandemic. What do you think? Do not you think it is wrong to vaccinate millions of people without formal experimental controls?

They don't vaccinate millions of people without experimental controls. At least not in this country. And what exactly does that have to do with stem cell research?

to see, has nothing to do with stem cells. But as I said I would have to spend decades on the ground to do controls, experimental phases, and so on., We have the case of the flu vaccine is not approved by the FDA for example but urges a vaccine to control the pandemic, and is discussing possible side effects, possible risks, but the fact is they are thinking vaccinate many people, but previously in record time do experiments with humans ... Vacuna para la gripe A: experimentación con humanos en Atlanta

Minimal help is better than nothing! Right now stem cells gives "rather minimal" help for hearing loss but one guy still got a 25db improvement, Phi4sius will prove it once he can get his audiograms. You are right that it's too soon to tell, that's why I am waiting a few years. I still think a 20-40db improvement in my hearing is in the bag a few years from now. I consider this more than "minimal" help. I am being realistic about stem cells. Will it cure my deafness? It's too soon to tell as you said! But will it give me "rather minimal" improvement and make me less deaf?
True minimal help is better then nothing. However, the minimal help I speak of, (with spinal cord inuires) wasn't anything that might not have been attribuatble to physical therapy.
You know....... you're saying that "stem cells" are the result of the improvement.......but for all you know the improvement may have been due to things like a well cleaned out ear canal, or whatever.
It's also possible that the dude had a type of loss that was really particuarly responsive to stem cell treatment.
Seriously............it is STILL so up in the air......

As far as we know, all these news could be absolutely and simply false.
No peer reviewed publication, no proof of result.

just a side note about Costa Rica - US veterinarians are allowed to practice human medicine there so I'd be more than a little hesitant to have stem cell therapy there :)

This is true as I have a friend that relocated from the US (licensed veterinarian here) and practices human med in Costa Rica.

I have a question for a moderator - can a separate topic folder be created for Stem Cell discussions and leave this one for Cochlear Implants?

That would allow this forum to remain dedicated to CI's and those interested in discussing Stem Cells would have their own forum as well.

to see, has nothing to do with stem cells. But as I said I would have to spend decades on the ground to do controls, experimental phases, and so on., We have the case of the flu vaccine is not approved by the FDA for example but urges a vaccine to control the pandemic, and is discussing possible side effects, possible risks, but the fact is they are thinking vaccinate many people, but previously in record time do experiments with humans ... Vacuna para la gripe A: experimentación con humanos en Atlanta

Obviously, you understand very little about medical research. Testing a vaccine cannot compare to the reseach necessary for stem cell therapy. We have been using vaccines for decades, and know that they are effective and safe. The research is not starting as a new therapy. :roll:

There is plenty of proof of stem cells treating other diseases, It's all over Google. As for hearing loss, it's been proven to work in animals and the few humans who got it experimentally, they were able to recover a portion of their hearing. One guy experienced a 25db improvement. I know it's real and it's only a question of when ill get the chance to get stem cells myself. I estimate 3-5 years for this.

There is plenty of proof of stem cells treating other diseases, It's all over Google. As for hearing loss, it's been proven to work in animals and the few humans who got it experimentally, they were able to recover a portion of their hearing. One guy experienced a 25db improvement. I know it's real and it's only a question of when ill get the chance to get stem cells myself. I estimate 3-5 years for this.

This one guy.....

I know a person who survived a bullet to the brain, that means you can too!

just a side note about Costa Rica - US veterinarians are allowed to practice human medicine there so I'd be more than a little hesitant to have stem cell therapy there :)

This is true as I have a friend that relocated from the US (licensed veterinarian here) and practices human med in Costa Rica.

I have a question for a moderator - can a separate topic folder be created for Stem Cell discussions and leave this one for Cochlear Implants?

That would allow this forum to remain dedicated to CI's and those interested in discussing Stem Cells would have their own forum as well.

I haven't started a single stem cell thread in the HA and CI forum. Still waiting for a mod to create a stem cell thread and move all the stem cell threads to that proper category.

I am not going to be a guina pig for stem cells anywhere. Once it's proven to work on hundreds of others with less risk than CI, only then will I go ahead. There will be alot more than "this one guy" itll be all over the news in 2-3 years of people traveling abroad and getting a 20-40+ db improvement in their hearing!

Where are these time lines coming from?

Where are these time lines coming from?

Back