Info on STEM CELLS from scientific source

It seems a bs. But, that's what they're doing.

Fortunately, there are a few hospitals in our country that offer stem-cells implants for their heart which is really a good news.

It seems a bs. But, that's what they're doing.

Fortunately, there are a few hospitals in our country that offer stem-cells implants for their heart which is really a good news.

I believe they have already used stem cells here for leukemia also.

Why say BS? Lots of celebrity do go to other countries for procedures not available here.

and medications too. Look at Michael Jackson. He got some medications that were not FDA-approved. Angelina Jolie went oversea to adopt kids.

:dunno:

I find it odd that Deafdude is the only one obsessed with stem cells, but magically there are now 2 more, new posters posting about it. It think it needs investigated.

:run:

It's a topic that some people like to read up on and discuss since the stem cells field is a rapidly growing field that will have many applications. This one here happens to be on nerve deafness. And certainly there are caveats here and things are to be taken with a grain of salt until we see more firmer results that can be verified and repeated.

I find stem cell stuff interesting, and I have been quietly following this thread, too. I don't have high hopes that a break through is around the corner, but I think it is great to know that stem cell research is progressing.

How do you know that these new hair cells will function as "normal" hearing cells do? What if they are as damaged or broken as the ones you were born with? What if they work for awhile and then die off? We don`t know what will happen, because there has been no testing and no follow up.

Plus, Deafdude, why do you think your brain will be able to handle this, new, sudden hearing? You have been profoundly deaf since birth, your brain has never heard these things. I think that would make you a very bad candidate!

The new hair cells actually aren't as good as "normal" but they are certainly better than no hair cells. I am missing all my OHC and some of my IHC in the lows and nearly all my IHC in the mids and highs. The pioneers are going ahead today with stem cells. We will have plenty of follow up news on their progress of stem cells.

I find it ironic you think ill do better with CI, yet you think stem cells won't work for me. CI has worked for many who were born deaf, stem cells won't be any different as far as the brain getting used to the new sounds. Besides I heard most sounds and some speech as I was fitted at 4 months old with the best analog HAs with the gains maxed out. I still had some high frequency hearing as well. I have prior auditory memory of most sounds and some speech. I give it a few months before I adjust to the new sounds.

Oh sure, I am interested to know about the stem cells. I'm sure that many deafies want one, too.

My family and friends(all hearing) fully support stem cells for me and if they lost their hearing, they would get stem cells themselves asap to give at least some of the hearing back that they lost. Right now, most culturally Deaf are against stem cells. Itll take time for them to accept stem cells just like it did for CI. Many of the Deaf who were against CI are no longer against CI or they are even pro CI. Some of them have gotten CI themselves.

It's true that it's unusual for a prelingually deaf to be interested in stem cells. But then, most prelingually deaf are involved in deaf culture, relay on sign language, don't consider sound/speech to be important and are proud to be Deaf. They don't need/want a fix, not even CI. I respect their choice and they should respect our choice.

Stem cells will be very popular for deaf babies born to hearing parents, late deafened postlinguals and prelingual deaf who have never been involved in deaf culture, don't know any ASL and are 100% oral. We live in the hearing world and improving our hearing would make it easier for us to interact in the hearing world. Cochlear implants have been very popular for those group of people and I expect stem cells to follow.

The same question can be asked...why are some people obessed with CIs? Some people are just interested in Stem Cells, some are interested in CIs and some arent interested in hearing at all.

Exactly. Life is all about choices. You aren't interested in hearing at all and that's your choice. I am interested in stem cells for many good reasons which ive mentioned in my blog and in other posts.

:run:

It's a topic that some people like to read up on and discuss since the stem cells field is a rapidly growing field that will have many applications. This one here happens to be on nerve deafness. And certainly there are caveats here and things are to be taken with a grain of salt until we see more firmer results that can be verified and repeated.

Stem cells will be able to improve or even cure most diseases/ailments/disabilities. I am very excited for stem cells in general as this means a very long, healthy life for most of us. Having my hearing improved is just one of many things stem cells can do for me, my family and friends.

I find stem cell stuff interesting, and I have been quietly following this thread, too. I don't have high hopes that a break through is around the corner, but I think it is great to know that stem cell research is progressing.

If you define a breakthru as stem cells being able to restore hearing to 25db, I predict this will take 15 years. Stem cells today can give a 20db improvement. When I get stem cells a few years from now, I should get around a 30db improvement. Ill be moderately-severely HOH. Ill be getting additional stem cell treatments as stem cell technology improves.

I don't believe the stem cell would cure for deafness. It will not work for profound deaf. :roll: I agree with Faire_jour's posted toward Deafdude. I doubt it he would get stem cell to cure for his deafness. Because he was born to profound deaf.

How about stem cell to cure for deafness to make against deaf culture?? That is same as deaf culture's against CI. I rather be deaf with CI period!

I don't mind to get stem cell to cure for my retina disease or get retinal implant. Not deafness! The stem cell is long time to study for deafness. I trust in God's will. The god sent me gift to have CI to hear.

OK Pinky:roll:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_jqPbTc0Ug[/ame] - RNL BIO Rescues a College Student from Autoimmune Hearing Loss[/url]

www.youtube.com/user/rnlbio#p/u/6/7oYVG-A7LaM]YouTube - rnlbio's Channel[/url]

www.youtube.com/user/rnlbio#p/u/5/tdaUGhUv7NI]YouTube - rnlbio's Channel[/url]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesenchymal_stem_cell

I emailed the manager director, in Han Hong and asked him a few questions about this experimental treatment for hearing loss. He told me he would get further information and get back to me. He explained that they used Mesenchymal stem cell, as appose to donated or embryonic stem cells. This does indeed sound promising but I have to air on the side of caution. More pioneers need to go and have follow ups before i would personally risk it.

Mr Hong also informed me that in terms of costs the "minimum is $5,000 excluding travel expenses" that about £3,000 which is not bad theoretically i could do that now but as i mention already its too early.

As to the new CI vs Stem cells everybody has their opinion which is better - for me Stem Cells are far superior as they give one natural hearing without a machine attached to their skull. But at the same time if a person has had CI for 5+ years and is content then good for them. Its a FREE choice at the end of the day.

DEAFDUDE!

The fathers talk about his daughters audiograms on the you tube links check them out. Secondly nobody knows if having stem cells will give your hearing as you were born deaf. So what people say here is ignorant advice all I can say is ask your doctor and find out I personally believe the human body is very good at adapting. :)

EDIT- I dont wont to offend anyone but there are NO subtitles in the you tube links

YouTube - RNL BIO Rescues a College Student from Autoimmune Hearing Loss - RNL BIO Rescues a College Student from Autoimmune Hearing Loss[/url]

YouTube]YouTube - rnlbio's Channel - rnlbio's Channel[/url]

YouTube]YouTube - rnlbio's Channel - rnlbio's Channel[/url]

Mesenchymal stem cell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I emailed the manager director, in Han Hong and asked him a few questions about this experimental treatment for hearing loss. He told me he would get further information and get back to me. He explained that they used Mesenchymal stem cell, as appose to donated or embryonic stem cells. This does indeed sound promising but I have to air on the side of caution. More pioneers need to go and have follow ups before i would personally risk it.

Mr Hong also informed me that in terms of costs the "minimum is $5,000 excluding travel expenses" that about £3,000 which is not bad theoretically i could do that now but as i mention already its too early.

As to the new CI vs Stem cells everybody has their opinion which is better - for me Stem Cells are far superior as they give one natural hearing without a machine attached to their skull. But at the same time if a person has had CI for 5+ years and is content then good for them. Its a FREE choice at the end of the day.

DEAFDUDE!

The fathers talk about his daughters audiograms on the you tube links check them out. Secondly nobody knows if having stem cells will give your hearing as you were born deaf. So what people say here is ignorant advice all I can say is ask your doctor and find out I personally believe the human body is very good at adapting. :)

EDIT- I dont wont to offend anyone but there are NO subtitles in the you tube links

You are more likely to offend the people by saying everyone here is ignorant.

By the way, you can't spell. And apparently can't afford spell checker. :)

He never had AIDS, he was HIV positive. There is a huge difference. Plus, he is still positive.

My apology for my mistake... He was on the TV a few days ago, and he is in a full recovery. I don't remember if he mentioned about his medicine on the television. If I see his show again or his story, I'll add the link here. Thanks for correcting me.

DEAFDUDE!

Was Chloe born deaf? If she born hearing and later on become deaf, I assume that it is completely different probably because she has some stem-cells that are alive along with the dead ones in her cochlear. Probably, she got the candidate for the surgery. (I'm glad that her surgery is successful.) Am I correct?

Was Chloe born deaf? If she born hearing and later on become deaf, I assume that it is completely different probably because she has some stem-cells that are alive along with the dead ones in her cochlear. Probably, she got the candidate for the surgery. (I'm glad that her surgery is successful.) Am I correct?

I believe she became deaf, so she must have been born hearing. Apparently "Chloe visited Dr. Won, a plastic surgeon in Los Angeles to harvest her fat tissue around her belly button in last June. Then the tissue was sent to the laboratory RNL BIO in Germantown, Maryland, where they isolated stem cells, put them in liquid nitrogen shipper and transported them to RNL BIO in Seoul, Korea. It took them a month to expand her stem cells to a sufficient amount enough to treat her hearing loss"

So the cells came from the fat around her belly button.

I might be wrong, but I think this means that most people can have this treatment as they used her own stem cells. Not only that they harvested them from fat tissue :) Which most people have.

<------ Interested in stem cell too! :D I hope we keep getting more of the latest. Pre-lingually hoh, it would be awesome not having to wear hearing aids. Keep them coming.

About the RNL BIO story, I am thinking that there is a missing in the article. It does not mention that whether the hair-cells have stopped growing or not because it said that the implant injection was in October 2009. That's last month. It's not that we don't care, but we need to make sure that the hair-cells remain the same as long as it is a good sign.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_jqPbTc0Ug]YouTube - RNL BIO Rescues a College Student from Autoimmune Hearing Loss[/ame]

In this case, stem cells were injected intravenously. In general, stem cell effect is observed at peak in one to three month post treatment.

AllDeaf.com - View Single Post - Info on STEM CELLS from scientific source, my replies to you

faire_jour, webexplorer and others, see my replies to you. I remember you said in one of your posts that ill still be saying "soon" in 10 years. That time is now! Chloe's doctors recommended CI but she got stem cells instead and the improvement was way more! Plus she avoided the risk of surgery! She isn't even wearing HAs in the youtube video! :shock: Once more people follow Chloe in getting stem cells, I am next in line.

She has usher's type 1 and was born deaf and is going blind. She would get stem cells to restore her vision but is against stem cells for deafness. She used to be against CI too but is now very pro CI. I respect her choice for CI and ask that she respect our choice for stem cells for our deafness.

How much improvement as a minimum in your deaf ear is required before you go ahead? It could be alot longer before stem cells can get a profoundly deaf ear to near normal. I am expecting a partial improvement but not a complete cure anytime soon.

I wonder what time frame Mr. Hong has in mind when stem cells can reliably give at least 20db improvement and also when 100 pioneers will have gone ahead. As to the cost, I can definately afford that! Way cheaper than CI! Even if insurance paid for 1st CI, I can't afford a 2nd CI. Stem cells will give me improved hearing in both ears.

You would never be a candidate for CI since your good ear is normal and a transear(or BAHA) would be far better. Ive been researching CI vs. HA and studies show that CI matches HAs for those with severe hearing loss. If stem cells gives me 30db improvement, ill hear with HAs equal(if not better) to those with CI for speech. Well actually ill hear way better for environmental sounds though. (80db HL + 70db gain=10db aided) I have a thread on this in my blog and on this forum.

DEAFDUDE!

When my dad wakes up soon, ill show him this youtube video. There's dozens if not hundreds of genes related to hearing/deafness. I am not expecting to become hearing(not till I get a genetic cure), I am expecting to be less deaf or HOH after stem cells and with my HAs, get access to sounds/speech at around 10db HL. If prelingually deaf can adjust to CI, I am confident ill adjust great to stem cells.

Been a while since I saw you on alldeaf. When will you be on AIM messenger? Also for others reading this, id love to chat about stem cells in this thread, in my blog(link in sig) or on AIM messenger.

Back