Improved!!

Southern

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I noticed something and got very excited. Maybe it is a little thing but…. I don’t have to look at peoples hands when they sign anymore. I look them in the eyes and still understand everything!!! I noticed…. Lord 4 or 5 months ago at a Deaf party that Deafies don’t look at each others hands and I thought wow how do they get everything. Well now I can do the same. There are a few people that I do have to look at their hands but that that is because they sign so fast and so different I have to concentrate more.
When I noticed this I was at a restaurant and a friend was talking to me and in the middle of her story my mind went, “OMG you are not looking at her hands and you are getting everything!!” My face showed something was up and she stopped and asked what was up. I told her and she was happy for me. =) My Deaf friends are always so encouraging!! But anyway I thought I would share it felt big to me although I am sure that step is small. =)

I think that is huge! There were people in my level 4 class that still look at the instructors hands. It is amazing how you can understand without watching the hands. I find that so much is in the face anyways, the expressions are the best part of ASL, well for me anyways

congrats that is awesome!!!

I have been around the Deaf more and more lately and I too noticed that they never break eye contact. I was wondering how they did that and I also wondered if I would ever get to that point. You have given me hope that I will one day! Yea!

Back