Implants changing life for Modesto girl born deaf

I thought children with Ci were also HOH... ???

Yes.

But there is a difference in how HOH you are with either 1) nothing, just plain ol' HOH or 2) with HAs, or 3) with CIs.

I guess bottom line would be at what audiological level you are at (e.g. 20 dbs or 40 db - I think 40 is still considered HOH (or close to it) but it no longer puts you in the speech range that a 20 db HOH has -- all constanants and vowels are in the 20's and 30's.

So that's why I'm saying there's a difference in HOH levels AND culture based on how/what HOH you are. Same as profound losses like mine, ASL is my culture.

It IS a new culture. Audiologically HOH children have been around for centuries. CI children have been around only for a couple of decades.

How? They experiance the same stuff as audilogically or functionally HOH kids with hearing aids......it's just that the device is new. It doesn't give a unique experiance....as we have seen, they deal with the same HOH stuff whether it's hearing aids, audilogically HOH (ie mild, moderate, moderately severe losses) or CI.

How? They experiance the same stuff as audilogically or functionally HOH kids with hearing aids......it's just that the device is new. It doesn't give a unique experiance....as we have seen, they deal with the same HOH stuff whether it's hearing aids, audilogically HOH (ie mild, moderate, moderately severe losses) or CI.

My friends who have CIs would strongly disagree with you. To them it is a unique *experience.

CI didn't change my life and it gave me a roaring sound all day - I felt was in zoo with angry, hungry lion or in the jet.

I went through with numerous programmable every appointment so not went well. I know CI isn't for me, though.

CI and HA are very different.

CI give you a robotic sound - more feel like brilliant or surprise since HA give you an amplify sound - more calm sound.

My friends who have CIs would strongly disagree with you. To them it is a unique *experience.

Yes, I agree with you.

CI is very unique experience - MUCH LOUDER than HA.

cochlear implant is costly $70,000 expensive lots of really serious! It is your own life yourself on think cochlear implant mind!

Part of the cost of Cochlear Implant-surgery-implanting in one's skull. Operations costs usually more "clipping ones toenails"!

Impact of a Cochlear Implant is discussed in "great deal" PRIOR to the actual operation.
At least in my experience-Sunnybrook/Toronto. Six years ago.

I understand from patients meeting Sunnybrook/Toronto- 2 out 3 persons requesting Cochlear Implants were deem "unsuitable" for a variety reasons- since 1984. Not exactly-anyone can be Implanted.Actual numbers: out of 3,000 patients, 1000 implanted with 18 didn't benefit as being activated. Source: patients meeting a couple of years ago.

Whether other centers-worldwide-have similar experience-no idea.

On the face of it one DOES consider the benefit of a Cochlear Implant BEFORE one makes an appointment. Excluding young children whose parents make the choice.

aside: the entire cost of my Cochlear Implant -6 years ago-was $55,000 CDN picked up by the provincial health plan-Ontario Hospital Insurance Plan- as I obviously met the criteria.

Last edited:
A lot has changed over the years. You don't see it because you're late-deafened. And, furthermore, a lot of the people who were arguing initially are now permanently banned - they were here to argue all the time regardless of the reason. Part of that "mass exodus" you like so much.

You see, that's the difference and reason(in bold) why I disagree. If we didn't start conversations by labeling the other person and argue only the facts, we wouldn't have these problems. As it happens, you drew a line in the sand which states we are different and that the people, which are placed in that category, will never have have a say or view in anything because their view will NOT be accepted. That is the reason for threads like this. It proves my point.

In fact, I'm not late deafened(although I'm sure you'll argue that too so we are in different groups). I was born deaf in one ear with hearing loss in the other. I grew up with the problems of being deaf. You are right about one difference: I see us all as deaf because all of us have to the same issues. So in that sense, you're right, I'm different.

I never liked the, "mass exodus" and I really thought those people should have stayed. And NO, they were not all banned, they chose to leave. And, there are still some of those member on this forum. In my veiw, one sided forums are of NO use to any rational person. That is why I have yet to post on those forums.

I will concede that the current generations of younger people I'm sure have a different view, but the older generation does not. They may tell you they do to fit in, but that's because they are outnumbered(it's like saying we've solved racism in three years).

The girl in the original post is going to have to deal with people who don't like her because of her differences, and those people will be both hearing and deaf.

In fact, I'm not late deafened(although I'm sure you'll argue that too so we are in different groups). I was born deaf in one ear with hearing loss in the other. I grew up with the problems of being deaf. You are right about one difference: I see us all as deaf because all of us have to the same issues. So in that sense, you're right, I'm different.

I apologize about the late-deafened part. I had thought you had written before that you are late-deafened. I must be thinking of a different poster, then.

So that does change my post about your perspective on CI's not changing much, but I also do stand by my original post in that I do think a lot has changed over the years with that. I guess I am surprised you don't see that too.

One of the big arguments on this forum, years ago, was about babies being implanted. Some still disagree with that, but for many others, it has become more accepted. The argument has shifted more to what language the implanted babies are raised with. I have seen such a dramatic change in opinions here on AD about CI's from the time I joined in 2005 to today.

I apologize about the late-deafened part. I had thought you had written before that you are late-deafened. I must be thinking of a different poster, then.

Apology accepted. Moving on..

On a personal level, I don't want an implant. It may come to it at some point, but it is not what I want for myself.

In the case of a child, in my opinion, this must be left up to the parents. Those early years are really important to the development of speech which, I feel need attention because it is really hard to remedy that situation later later in life(trust me, I'm living it now studying pronunciation and writing). It is much easier to learn ASL than to learn sounds I can't hear.

I see no reason why both can't be taught. In fact, if I had children, I would arm them to the teeth for survival in a very difficult environment.

This was a very difficult decision for this parent, no doubt.

It is much easier to learn ASL than to learn sounds I can't hear.

I see no reason why both can't be taught. In fact, if I had children, I would arm them to the teeth for survival in a very difficult environment.

I totally agree with this. I sincerely believe there is no dis-value in learning multiple languages. Even my junior and high schools had foreign languages (including ASL, at some schools) as a graduation requirement. (I had mine waived as part of my IEP since I already knew ASL and it was not offered at my school, anyway.)

I totally understand, as an adult, the choice to learn ASL, or wear HAs, or get a CI is an individual choice. And it's usually made by said adult's surroundings.

On the other hand, I think back to my school years, and getting through those years--from an educational standpoint--was made a thousand times easier for me with having ASL since age 2 and having an interpreter or sign language teacher all my school years. It doesn't mean I think being d/Deaf is superior to other d/Deaf because of ASL, or even superior to the hearing. I'm starting to get the feeling that some posters are thinking we do feel superior. I'm saying we don't. At least I don't. I just wish for opportunities for children to have ALL they can use and not have to struggle in any way.

I totally agree with this. I sincerely believe there is no dis-value in learning multiple languages. Even my junior and high schools had foreign languages (including ASL, at some schools) as a graduation requirement. (I had mine waived as part of my IEP since I already knew ASL and it was not offered at my school, anyway.)

I totally understand, as an adult, the choice to learn ASL, or wear HAs, or get a CI is an individual choice. And it's usually made by said adult's surroundings.

On the other hand, I think back to my school years, and getting through those years--from an educational standpoint--was made a thousand times easier for me with having ASL since age 2 and having an interpreter or sign language teacher all my school years. It doesn't mean I think being d/Deaf is superior to other d/Deaf because of ASL, or even superior to the hearing. I'm starting to get the feeling that some posters are thinking we do feel superior. I'm saying we don't. At least I don't. I just wish for opportunities for children to have ALL they can use and not have to struggle in any way.

In your last paragraph, that's all I want too. Nothing about being superior. It is when people see or imply that ASL is inferior is when I will speak up and be sarcastic with. No, ASL is not superior to English nor the other way around. I believe that ASL give all deaf/hoh children full access to language and what is being taught academically that spoken English may not have.

CI and HA are very different.

CI give you a robotic sound - more feel like brilliant or surprise since HA give you an amplify sound - more calm sound.

The sound is different yes, but the END effect is the SAME!!!!!! HOH with a device is still HOH, whether it be CI, HA, or BAHA.

The sound is different yes, but the END effect is the SAME!!!!!! HOH with a device is still HOH, whether it be CI, HA, or BAHA.

I don't see you have any point to argue. :confused:

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!! Why is that hard to understand? We think that kids SHOULD NOT HAVE TO STRUGGLE needlessly! Yes, today's kids function more as HOH......they're not like the kid from the 1950's who heard something like 10% with a body worn aid...BUT kids who are functionally HOH of today, STILL struggle. They go through the exact same thing that kids who were HOH in years/decades past go through. Remember it's HARD of hearing. They're not hearing. They can never function as hearing, they can ONLY fake it.So why not give them the FULL toolbox of options? Just b/c they can "hear", it doesn't mean that they are hearing..Why should they miss out on things like ASL and Deaf School/classes etc?

If you guys keep talking (more like arguing) about banned members, it's against the rules so there is a very high chance this thread is going to be deleted or purged so all your contributions will go to waste.

Consider this the only warning before it happens.

Back