Implants changing life for Modesto girl born deaf

I don't understand it either. Everyone hears at different levels. No two people hear the same, even not of the same HOH or Mild or Moderate or Severe or Profound groups. Why all the HOHs got lumped together and are all considered the same HOH is not right. I've seen for myself in my large d/Deaf community that there's really a lot of variance among everyone.

That is awesome. That is the way it should be.

You know, they probably won't. They will hear what supports their dream for their child.

It's human nature to filter that way.

Exactly. And their dream basicly is "normal" functioning. Also schools claim all sorts of things regarding accomondations etc......they just love cheating kids out of accomondations.

Exactly. And their dream basicly is "normal" functioning. Also schools claim all sorts of things regarding accomondations etc......they just love cheating kids out of accomondations.

See, that is what I am talking about. This comment is in no way beneficial. All that is evident is bias and bitterness and I bring it up because this actually hurts deaf schools rather than help them. The majority of people who read a comment like that are going to think "wow, that person really has a bad attitude." And they will leave that conversation believing that this attitude is representative of the community. I hear this all the time from others.

I don't understand it either. Everyone hears at different levels. No two people hear the same, even not of the same HOH or Mild or Moderate or Severe or Profound groups. Why all the HOHs got lumped together and are all considered the same HOH is not right. I've seen for myself in my large d/Deaf community that there's really a lot of variance among everyone.

Yes, I know. BUT just b/c a kid has decent access to fake "hearing" it doesn't mean that they're having a unique never been experianced before experiance.
Is the hearing/HOH experiance that CI kids experiance different from a kid who has something like 60% hearing with aids or CI on? Yes...the access to sound is more, but again as a former poster that has worked with this population extensively, has said " they have the same social/emotional and developmental issues as kids who are deafer or who don't hear as well.
There is a HUGE variance in HOH and what that means in access of sound.
I can hear amazingly well with hearing aids, but yet my experiance growing up was eerially simlair to my friends with "deafer" losses.
Besides, its not hearing person hearing. It's hearing/perceiving sound artifically.......It's also still a fact that it takes a lot of energy for dhh kids to "hear", even if they have a lot of access to sound.

See, that is what I am talking about. This comment is in no way beneficial. All that is evident is bias and bitterness and I bring it up because this actually hurts deaf schools rather than help them. The majority of people who read a comment like that are going to think "wow, that person really has a bad attitude." And they will leave that conversation believing that this attitude is representative of the community. I hear this all the time from others.

It still happens........and this isn't about attacking hearing people. It's about attacking a one size fits all model for education. It's also very very true for other low incidence disabilties as well.............

It still happens........and this isn't about attacking hearing people. It's about attacking a one size fits all model for education. It's also very very true for other low incidence disabilties as well.............

You should probably just move on. What you have said is very general and parents need to focus on specifics. You are claiming schools have a "one size fits all" model while generalizing that this applies to all or even most schools. It is hypocritical.

Yes, I know. BUT just b/c a kid has decent access to fake "hearing" it doesn't mean that they're having a unique never been experianced before experiance.
Is the hearing/HOH experiance that CI kids experiance different from a kid who has something like 60% hearing with aids or CI on? Yes...the access to sound is more, but again as a former poster that has worked with this population extensively, has said " they have the same social/emotional and developmental issues as kids who are deafer or who don't hear as well.
There is a HUGE variance in HOH and what that means in access of sound.
I can hear amazingly well with hearing aids, but yet my experiance growing up was eerially simlair to my friends with "deafer" losses.
Besides, its not hearing person hearing. It's hearing/perceiving sound artifically.......It's also still a fact that it takes a lot of energy for dhh kids to "hear", even if they have a lot of access to sound.

I would appreciate it if you would stop saying "fake hearing." It is rude, insulting and hurtful to other members.

Also, Naisho has asked that former posters not be discussed. It is in the forum rules and I would hate to see threads get closed.

Thanks.

Faked hearing? That is a new one.

Is using a hearing aid /Cochlear Implant necessary to have alleged "fake hearing"?

What next- faked reasoning?

I would appreciate it if you would stop saying "fake hearing." It is rude, insulting and hurtful to other members.

Also, Naisho has asked that former posters not be discussed. It is in the forum rules and I would hate to see threads get closed.

Thanks.

I thought you would ignore DD, no?

Faked hearing? That is a new one.

Is using a hearing aid /Cochlear Implant necessary to have alleged "fake hearing"?

What next- faked reasoning?

No need to be sarcastic.

While I don't agree with much of what she says, I have read it frequently across this board that what we d/Deaf hear with CIs and HAs is not the same as what hearing people naturally hear. We hear it amplified, distorted, electronic, etc. I assume that is the "fake" hearing DD was referring to.

No need to be sarcastic.

While I don't agree with much of what she says, I have read it frequently across this board that what we d/Deaf hear with CIs and HAs is not the same as what hearing people naturally hear. We hear it amplified, distorted, electronic, etc. I assume that is the "fake" hearing DD was referring to.

There is something I can't get over. Why it should make a difference which it is if we can have a clear conversation with someone that just uses their voice?

There is something I can't get over. Why it should make a difference which it is if we can have a clear conversation with someone that just uses their voice?

To me, it makes no difference. I have never heard speech/sounds other than how I do now, since I've been deaf since birth. So to me, "fake hearing" doesn't exist. It is how it is for me. I assume as long as you can have a clear conversation with someone, it's the same for you.

To me, it makes no difference. I have never heard speech/sounds other than how I do now, since I've been deaf since birth. So to me, "fake hearing" doesn't exist. It is how it is for me. I assume as long as you can have a clear conversation with someone, it's the same for you.

I have but rather than write a long history I refer you to my post in this thread http://www.alldeaf.com/hearing-aids...lants-controversy-died-out-3.html#post2193098

I have not used a voice phone for so long (think sometime in the 1990s) but have used VCO with the state relay and now CapTel when using cell phone. I use a combination of sound and lip reading (or I guess the PC term is now speech reading) in person with "what" and writing thrown in!

No need to be sarcastic.

I'm sure it is. Still rude IMO.

I thought you would ignore DD, no?

I could. But many of her posts are directed at me by name. Also, I don't think I am the only one here that sees this phrase as offensive. The site is "All Deaf" I don't think it is cool for someone to be bashing a certain group of deaf people hear. See Alley Cat's comment on the Deaf community being large and inclusive.....I tend to agree with that.

I could. But many of her posts are directed at me by name. Also, I don't think I am the only one here that sees this phrase as offensive. The site is "All Deaf" I don't think it is cool for someone to be bashing a certain group of deaf people hear. See Alley Cat's comment on the Deaf community being large and inclusive.....I tend to agree with that.

It annoys everybody, but just ignoring it will save time for everyone too.

It won't stop...

I know DD since joined this forum in 2005 and she never change on CI statement.

It is best to ignore her because she won't change her philosophy and continue to argue when she have a time.

No need to be sarcastic.

Exactly. It's "hearing" like a deaf or at MOST a HOH person. It is not hearing like a hearing person.....and the overwhelming majority of dhh kids who are aided/implanted can "hear", but it's not like a hearing person, especially since most of them were born or early dhh. Their brains have never processed sound the way a hearing person's has.

Well you cannot deny that for late deafened people "hearing" through a hearing aid/CI isn't as good as hearing person hearing right? Yes, the CI can be awesome, but if it's so awesome then how come they're looking into CI MEMs, which are supposed to provide much better sound quality (they're supposed to sound more "nautral") and improvments to the CI?
Also, for born/early dhh kids it takes a lot of energy.....and a lot of it is faking it.....the world is not a soundbooth you know......

Back