Implants changing life for Modesto girl born deaf

I could. But many of her posts are directed at me by name. Also, I don't think I am the only one here that sees this phrase as offensive. The site is "All Deaf" I don't think it is cool for someone to be bashing a certain group of deaf people hear. See Alley Cat's comment on the Deaf community being large and inclusive.....I tend to agree with that.

Oh give me a break. I am NOT bashing any group of people. Simply pointing out that the "hearing" we get from HAs/CIs is fake. It's not hearing person hearing. Stop twisting my words and looking for stuff to be delibratly offended about! I wear hearing aids myself, and like them a lot.........but I know that what I hear through them isn't even REMOTELY close to what hearing people hear.

I know DD since joined this forum in 2005 and she never change on CI statement.

It is best to ignore her because she won't change her philosophy and continue to argue when she have a time.

I have gotten a lot more mellow on CIs I think.......I do think that they are useful. I'm just extremely skeptical as to the marketing claims etc.....

@deafdyke
OP you twice you doubt arguing to complaint to posts serious not listen, we are told you, you think so tried to posts misleading or misinterpreter, think so you 4 posts why not you have posts 4? serious!

Faked hearing? That is a new one.

Is using a hearing aid /Cochlear Implant necessary to have alleged "fake hearing"?

What next- faked reasoning?

silly comments! Not fake.

doesn't implication how fake hearing? huh, what no idea fake hearing

nobody confusing to faking to hearing? serious word?
we don't think so you are pretend on fake hearing?

Oh give me a break. I am NOT bashing any group of people. Simply pointing out that the "hearing" we get from HAs/CIs is fake. It's not hearing person hearing. Stop twisting my words and looking for stuff to be delibratly offended about! I wear hearing aids myself, and like them a lot.........but I know that what I hear through them isn't even REMOTELY close to what hearing people hear.

Again, the use of fake is rude. It is used to incite. Your opinion has been noted.

Exactly. It's "hearing" like a deaf or at MOST a HOH person. It is not hearing like a hearing person.....and the overwhelming majority of dhh kids who are aided/implanted can "hear", but it's not like a hearing person, especially since most of them were born or early dhh. Their brains have never processed sound the way a hearing person's has.

HOH person?

If you try CI so you will tell a big difference - seriously, trust me.

CI is TOO WAY VERY LOUD, REALLY LOUD. You will SHOCK about how sounds look like.

Ask LakeTahoe - DHB's wife because she has CI so she can tell you a big difference or ask Lucia.

I'm impressed about how CI works - very loud enough - feel like hearing but some of sound words are not clearly - that means need more programmed.

I was trying to ignore it, but I can't, I just can't hardly stand it.

It is NOT fake, it's just different. AND the difference is dependent on the level of loss. I didn't even GET aids until my hearing had reached severe levels, and guess what, things didn't sound that different!! This is coming from someone late deafened, that at a young adult had perfect hearing. Stupid sounds, white noise that a hearing person can filter out no problem may be oversimplified bit the sound is the same, just louder. Music? Still had no problems at all listening to it, I did karaoke all the damn time when I had my analogs.

It's not fake. Has amplify really real sounds to where your really real ears can hear those real sounds, and you really hear it. I was never aided when my loss was more moderate or even mild, and I bet the difference was even less. I didn't run into any real problems until I reached profound. But what I hear is real, I don't fake it, if I can't understand something, I ask for a repeat. I am able to a real conversation without "faking it".

Not every dhh kid had profound loss, believe it or not, as I said previously, the level if loss, is going to make a big difference on just how useful hearing aids are. To really hear you know really real sounds.

I'm not even going to make assertions about CI. You know why? Because I have no personal experience with them. So any assertion I make would be by second knowledge, and nobody should do that. Yeah you either, until you lived it, experienced it, YOU just don't know.

I think DD has a right to her opinion, and a right to express it. i think she raises a few good points. Why, however, do certain posters work so desperately to try and intimidate and stop her from expressing her view? Does AD not welcome Deaf perspectives?

I think DD has a right to her opinion, and a right to express it. i think she raises a few good points. Why, however, do certain posters work so desperately to try and intimidate and stop her from expressing her view? Does AD not welcome Deaf perspectives?

No one asked her to stop expressing her opinion. She was asked to stop mentioning banned members (rules), insulting members (rules) inciting/trolling (rules) and making broad generalizations.

Sure she has a right to express an opinion, though more she puts forth like its fact, which is different. We, however do not have to agree with those opinions and are free to express opposing opinions. Opinions, they're like butts....everyone had one, some just stink more than others and I'm not here just to validate others opinions. :)

I don't expect everyone to agree with me all the time either though.

I have gotten a lot more mellow on CIs I think.......I do think that they are useful. I'm just extremely skeptical as to the marketing claims etc.....

I made a response to this last night, but unfortunately I was using my phone and the battery died right before I finished.

I think you should be a bit skeptical about any marketing, BUT even if something can't do everything it advertises for everyone that doesn't mean it can't do a lot.

I'm convinced that even Audis think that HAs can do more for people than with profound loss than they can. Btw that's when you're going to start running into distortion and amplification issues, when they just to put out and incredible amount of gain.

Don't get me wrong, I love my hearing aids, in fact I think they are nothing short of amazing. The idea that these little things can make someone, me, that can hear absolutely nothing without aids, can get enough speech to have conversations is just miraculous. Technology is a gift.

I will say though, I went to school for massage therapy with a deaf guy with a CI. I was never nosy enough to question him about it, but going by his voice, his speech was great just a bit different, I don't think he was implanted as a baby. He was in his 20's and had an ASL interpreter. He ended up working at the same spa as me a few years later, and in the meantime I had list more hearing. He could hear MUCH better than I can, and he would tell me EVERYDAY that I needed to get an implant. Sometimes there's more to something than just the marketing.

I was trying to ignore it, but I can't, I just can't hardly stand it.

It is NOT fake, it's just different. AND the difference is dependent on the level of loss. I didn't even GET aids until my hearing had reached severe levels, and guess what, things didn't sound that different!! This is coming from someone late deafened, that at a young adult had perfect hearing. Stupid sounds, white noise that a hearing person can filter out no problem may be oversimplified bit the sound is the same, just louder. Music? Still had no problems at all listening to it, I did karaoke all the damn time when I had my analogs.

It's not fake. Has amplify really real sounds to where your really real ears can hear those real sounds, and you really hear it. I was never aided when my loss was more moderate or even mild, and I bet the difference was even less. I didn't run into any real problems until I reached profound. But what I hear is real, I don't fake it, if I can't understand something, I ask for a repeat. I am able to a real conversation without "faking it".

Not every dhh kid had profound loss, believe it or not, as I said previously, the level if loss, is going to make a big difference on just how useful hearing aids are. To really hear you know really real sounds.

I'm not even going to make assertions about CI. You know why? Because I have no personal experience with them. So any assertion I make would be by second knowledge, and nobody should do that. Yeah you either, until you lived it, experienced it, YOU just don't know.

Bear in mind ambrosia you're late deafened. You have the advantage that your brain can process sound as sound. It simply needs INPUT, which of course your hearing aids provide. If your brain had never processed sound as sound, (the way a hearing person does) your experiance with "hearing" would be DRASTICLY different.

Bear in mind ambrosia you're late deafened. You have the advantage that your brain can process sound as sound. It simply needs INPUT, which of course your hearing aids provide. If your brain had never processed sound as sound, (the way a hearing person does) your experiance with "hearing" would be DRASTICLY different.

I am not late deafened.

What I hear with a hearing aid, is what I hear.

Nothing fake about it.

I am not late deafened.

What I hear with a hearing aid, is what I hear.

Nothing fake about it.

That's exactly what I said too. For me, it is what it is. It doesn't sound fake to me at all. I have nothing to compare it to, neither does DD.

I made a response to this last night, but unfortunately I was using my phone and the battery died right before I finished.

I think you should be a bit skeptical about any marketing, BUT even if something can't do everything it advertises for everyone that doesn't mean it can't do a lot.

I'm convinced that even Audis think that HAs can do more for people than with profound loss than they can. Btw that's when you're going to start running into distortion and amplification issues, when they just to put out and incredible amount of gain.

Don't get me wrong, I love my hearing aids, in fact I think they are nothing short of amazing. The idea that these little things can make someone, me, that can hear absolutely nothing without aids, can get enough speech to have conversations is just miraculous. Technology is a gift.

I will say though, I went to school for massage therapy with a deaf guy with a CI. I was never nosy enough to question him about it, but going by his voice, his speech was great just a bit different, I don't think he was implanted as a baby. He was in his 20's and had an ASL interpreter. He ended up working at the same spa as me a few years later, and in the meantime I had list more hearing. He could hear MUCH better than I can, and he would tell me EVERYDAY that I needed to get an implant. Sometimes there's more to something than just the marketing.

On the other hand, I also think that you have to put into play the indviduality response to aiding/CIing. It really does seem like while there are quite a few people who get amazing gains with CI,(meaning they're functonally HOH with them ) the overall hearing results seem to be really scattered. Even late deafened adults may not reach functionally HOH levels.(rare but can and does happen) Almost like with hearing aids.....there ARE people with deaf losses who respond well to hearing aids, and then there are people who can only get a small percentage of speech/sounds with HAs. There's also the fact that they've been implanting people who do have residual hearing/experiance with hearing. That's very different from implanting a kid who has absolutely no response with aids...it also skews the sucess stats you know?
Like the guy you described may have had a progressive loss or may have had some benifit from aids...In which case it would have been "turning up the volumne/access to sound" .
Heck there were kids who were functionally HOH with CI back in the early 90's/mid 90's.........
But you know what? Even today there are still kids who don't hear as well as they *should* according to the latest research. We do have quite a few posters who are TODs, who have seen poor CI users......even today!
It's not as many as say back in the 80's and 90's......which is good.
But did you know that they use the OPTION schools as basicly *demonstration* schools for the oral only approach, to *prove* that CI kids are basicly functionally HOH and don't *need* ASL any more? Know how they do that? They screen the applicants very carefully. Then with the applicants they have left, they ask the kids who are performing at the lower end of the academic/hearing/ articulation/language curve to leave. That's how the Special School District in St. Louis gets a lot of their students.

That's exactly what I said too. For me, it is what it is. It doesn't sound fake to me at all. I have nothing to compare it to, neither does DD.

How would you know what real hearing sounds like? It is literally artifical/fake hearing.
And yes, it is what it is. I don't know what hearing person hearing sounds like. Neither do a lot of early/born dhh folks. And you know what? Again response to artifical hearing varies......including from late deafened people. Some love it, others hate it.

HOH person?

If you try CI so you will tell a big difference - seriously, trust me.

CI is TOO WAY VERY LOUD, REALLY LOUD. You will SHOCK about how sounds look like.

Ask LakeTahoe - DHB's wife because she has CI so she can tell you a big difference or ask Lucia.

I'm impressed about how CI works - very loud enough - feel like hearing but some of sound words are not clearly - that means need more programmed.

Foxrac, I am saying that they are FUNCTIONALLY HOH with CI. It's like the difference between an ITE aid and a BTE aid for someone who is audilogically HOH. I do understand that a lot of people can hear quite well with CI....but at the same time I'm also saying they have quite a bit of HOH style limitations......see now? That would be just like saying that BTE aids work well for access to sound/speech, but they also have quite a bit of HOH style limitations. I'm not saying they don't work.

Foxrac, I am saying that they are FUNCTIONALLY HOH with CI.

Why is it necessary for you to label people and put them in a box? Why not let people believe what they want to believe about themselves?

How would you know what real hearing sounds like? It is literally artifical/fake hearing.
And yes, it is what it is. I don't know what hearing person hearing sounds like. Neither do a lot of early/born dhh folks. And you know what? Again response to artifical hearing varies......including from late deafened people. Some love it, others hate it.

I do, and what I hear from hearing aids doesn't sound "fake". mmmkay

Back