Implanted but anti-CI?

It's much, much more than "just nice to have"...

Have a look here... (there are more pages... just click on the picture..)
some

.. I know... It's by "Advanced Bionics" and it's a bit old...

Going "hearing nothing" to "hearing all sounds" is a huge improvement (for some.... *** ) and compared to that, bi-lateral CI might be small. But it is a great help for anyone that chooses it.

And... how is a HA going to help on the other side..... most CI-user are profoundly deaf on both sides.... If they would be able to hear as good with a HA on the other side.... most likely... they would not qualify for CI...

Knowing where sound comes from is a big thing. There's a big improvement in listening-abilities, and therefore less tiresome to learn / understand speech.
I experience it daily !!
Having two also means that in case of a malfunction on one side, there is always another side to continue hearing... That, I experienced only once or twice....

*** - CMA - "For some".. since of course they are plenty of people here that have the opinion that hearing is not a big deal... Don't want to disrespect those people..)

Reasons to look at this annotated bib with a skeptical eye.

I agree with you about bilatarial implants. It is not just "nice to have." You will really notice a big differences with both. The biggest differences is sound quality, it sounds crisper than one. Yes, location of sound improves, but the quality of sound is so much better. When one battery dies that is when you hear the differences.

With my situation, HA were no use and with the CI. I would have just gotten the other ear done within a year. So that is one reason to get both done at once.

If you were implanted simultaneously, what is your comaprison base between unilateral and bilateral?

I'm unilateral, and have been for nine months. But although my hearing is much better with my CI than with my HA (both anecdotally and tested), I do *far* *far* better with both. It's true that there are some interesting phenomena regarding the integration of stimuli from both, but I suspect a large part of the effect is due to being binaural - eliminating head shadow and having interaural timing as a noise-reduction tool. If my left ear gets significantly worse (as it's expected to, eventually), I'm definitely going to consider going bilateral.

DeafDyke is right, I think, that going from no CI to a unilateral CI is much more than going from unilateral to bilateral. But to say that it's just nice to have? Are you sure you don't work for my HMO, DD? 'Cuz I seem to remember hearing that my hearing aids were also "just nice to have", and then that bilateral aiding was "just nice to have".

But to say that it's just nice to have? Are you sure you don't work for my HMO, DD? 'Cuz I seem to remember hearing that my hearing aids were also "just nice to have", and then that bilateral aiding was "just nice to have".
Sorry, bad choice of words. The thing is, that a bilateral CI isn't a drastic difference. The ONLY difference is that someone can localize sound and handle conversation in noisy situtions better. That is NOT a HUGE HUGE benifit.
Cloggy, as I've repeatly stated, in the US people who get benifit from HAs, CAN get implanted. I'm 100% for bilateral implants for folks who get absolutly NO benifit from HAs. However, it's pretty much a fact that people respond pretty much indivdually to hearing devices. Yes, there will be people with bilateral implants, but simply b/c of the fact that hearing technology is so indivdual.....Yes, there are people who decide to flip over to another CI, but there are also people who use both CI and HA.

No one mentioned peer-pressures as one of several factors that they stop using it.

That's true. But I think that with more people within deaf culture getting CIs this will be less of a factor. We were speaking more of a personal, political decision not to wear a CI. I knew a few people who made a political decision not to wear a hearing aid despite having grown up with them but most people seem to continue wearing them or resume after a break.

If Jillio is correct and CI wearers join the deaf culture in droves as young adults and continue to wear them, it would be interesting to see what kind of changes that might bring about in deaf culture itself in the future.

Speaking of peer pressure...

Cochlear Implant Online

No one answer my question.
I agree with you.

I have no problem with people getting CI... as long as they still acknowledge that they're still deaf. If they don't want to learn sign language, then that's their problem.

When parents get their kids implanted and then treat them like hearing people, then I do have a problem with that... because they're still deaf. As for sign language, that's also their problem as well.

I wear one hearing aid. With that hearing aid, I can hear well. Even when my parents knew I was deaf, they never used sign language. Part of it was because I went to an oral deaf institute and never signed until I was 5 years old when I moved to Texas. I was already used to talking at home and signing at school. I never had problems with not signing at home because I could lipread very well. (At least, I developed that skill.)

There are some people who grow up with CI and never develop sign language and/or lip-reading skills. They feel it's not necessary because they can hear. With that being said, they're denying their deafness.

what is problem

That is hard complex for really reaason explain how you don't know learn every nothing opinion want to focus understand cochlear implant is not good.

Back