Im Not Negative on a CI

ravensteve1961

Reaction score
My doctor said its not like normal hearing.Voices and other sounds do not sound like sounds you really hear. Like a Dog Barking doesnt sound like a dog barking. And music is a distraction with a CI.So i dont encourage people get this cause its not normal hearing at all!!! Youre better off waiting for a hair cell regeneration.Thats the only hope to hear normal again.

Hair cell regeneration may not be a reality for a long, long time to come. It may not even happen in our lifetimes, but it probably will happen within the lifetime of some of the younger readers of this board. And it won’t work for everybody. I probably don’t even have a cochlea in my right ear—it’s probably solid bone tissue. Can’t grow much hair on a bone. Granted, the sound quality that can be expected from a CI is not spectacular, but at least it’s something that’s possible right now. A lot of people don’t even realize that my wife is deaf until she tells them. She got really lucky and had a remarkable response to her CI. She can even use a phone, albeit with some difficulty. That, combined with her phenomenal speechreading abilities, frequently fools people into thinking that she’s hearing.

Levonian said:
Granted, the sound quality that can be expected from a CI is not spectacular, but at least it’s something that’s possible right now.

Levonian: I couldn't agree with you more!! :) Thanks to my CI, I'm able to hear NOW instead of waiting for something that may or may not come to fruition during my lifetime. While CIs aren't the right choice for everyone, they are the right choice for some. I was implanted in December and the past 5 months have been amazing! I no longer need to rely on an interpreter or captionist for communication. I can hear the TV and radio. I can hear on the phone and talk to just about anyone in a noisy environment. Not everyone acheives these results, but I know many CI users who are just as happy to hear environmental sounds for greater personal safety.

Ravensteve: CI hearing isn't normal hearing, but it *is* hearing just the same. You might be surprised to find that some CI users report that sounds *do* sound normal (as they remember before with normal hearing or hearing aids). I'm one of them. There are many sounds (and voices) I hear with my CI that sound normal the way I remember with hearing aids. In terms of waiting for hair cell regeneration, I think if a person wants to hear and can't benefit from hearing aids, their best option is to hear NOW with a CI -- but that's only a decision they can make. :)

My Doctor says its not true. My Audiologist also says its not true you heard the same way like you did with your hearing aid. I truly belive an hurricane destroyed the rest of my hearing i had.My parents wouldnt listen to me a warned them the dangers of living in florida.They could have put up with living in california where theres no hurricanes. Earthquakes dont hurt hearing but hurricanes do. But they didnt listen to me.Im gonna ask for permission for my audiologist to talk to you about those CIs.

ravensteve1961 said:
My doctor said its not like normal hearing.Voices and other sounds do not sound like sounds you really hear. Like a Dog Barking doesnt sound like a dog barking. And music is a distraction with a CI.So i dont encourage people get this cause its not normal hearing at all!!! Youre better off waiting for a hair cell regeneration.Thats the only hope to hear normal again.

ravensteve1961 said:
My Doctor says its not true. My Audiologist also says its not true you heard the same way like you did with your hearing aid. I truly belive an hurricane destroyed the rest of my hearing i had.My parents wouldnt listen to me a warned them the dangers of living in florida.They could have put up with living in california where theres no hurricanes. Earthquakes dont hurt hearing but hurricanes do. But they didnt listen to me.Im gonna ask for permission for my audiologist to talk to you about those CIs.

it really does VARIES with each person.. Not everyone can hear it clearly, not everyone can hear it with distracts..

Some of us are lucky to hear clearly with words, some of us are lucky to hear clearly with enivormental sounds, some of us are lucky with both of it. some of us are not lucky... So Therefore your audiologist COULDN'T tell any of us that it will happen to any of us or it will not happen to any of us...

Maybe CI hearing is not the "same" as "natural" hearing but it is a solution for many people (not all, but many). Some people have artificial legs or use motorized wheelchairs. That is not "natural" walking but at least they can get out of the house. Sometimes people have to adapt to their situations. If there is a technology that makes your communication and job-seeking easier, think about taking it.

Of course, it depends on what your doctor and audiologist suggest for your personal situation. I am just saying, don't close any doors of opportunity just because they are not "perfect".

Regardless of the cause of your hearing loss, now is the time to move forward. Don't keep looking back. Use your energy on future goals. Each of us has a limited amount of energy. None of us has enough energy to waste on past events. We need it all for the present and future.

I pray for the best for you. :)

I'm fully hearing, but I'm going to throw my two cents in and say that everybody has to make the choice that is best for them. As already been noted, no two people are alike, so therefore, no two people are going to have the same experience with the CI. This is why people need to research this, and not jump into it without knowing the pros and cons of it.

Last edited:
actually that's the reason he came over here....he lost a lot of his speech comprehension...he was hoh for most of his life, and became deaf a few years ago. His early posts were all raving about the CI and how he was gonna get it.
Yes, ravensteve, some people do have amazing sucess with the CI...mostly late deaf folks but as said before, results vary significently just like with hearing aids. (like the way some peopel can only hear enviromental noises and others are functionally hoh)

Hair cell regeneration may not be a reality for a long, long time to come. It may not even happen in our lifetimes, but it probably will happen within the lifetime of some of the younger readers of this board. And it won’t work for everybody.
I'm incredibily cynical that it'll ever come to pass. People have too much money invested in making money off of hearing loss to even think about a cure. Besides, it probaly WON'T happen. I sometimes lurk at the new Mobilty messageboards, and SO many aquirred injuires were told that a cure was just around the corner....flash forward twenty years...we're no closer to finding a cure then we ever were! Besides, we don't know what the results of the research will be...they may be usefull, they might not be useful...it's too soon to tell! Anyway, I think if hair cell regeneration does come to pass it will be mostly useful for late deaf, and progressive losses.

Hear Again YES and I do quilify for a CI But when my doctor told me the real facts its not normal hearing nor you cannot hear like you did before.Its all man made sounds.Its not sounds you would hear normaly. Like my audiologist said "" Music is a mess of sounds with a CI"" That help me made my decision. If i cant listening to music like i did then i dont want it.

It sounds like you're pinning your hopes on things that are unrealistic. I would hope you find some peace with this, Steve.

You may do well to use HA's, and learn ASL or SEE. That might be your best bet.

Good luck!

Stem Cell Research can restore hearing .But its george bush whos threating to veto the stem cell reserach bill.And Arlen Spector has cancer and hes warned the president not to veto the bill or theyre be hell to pay. I think hes gonna get the republicans to set him up for a scandel and then theyre impeach him and Dick Cheney becomes president and he`ll sign the bill because stem cell benifits him too because he has a heart problem.

I see that you are back here to force your opinions down our throats. I would appreciate if you back off on telling us what we should do. There is a difference between expressing your opinions and telling us what to do.

I have cochlear implants and while it does not bring back 100 percent natural sounds, Im damn grateful to have any sounds and it is better than nothing.

Life does not have to be all BLACK or WHITE. Just because you finally realized that a CI is not a cure, youre damning CIs and screaming for stem cell research or whatnot. It was never a CURE, but a TOOL!!! :deal:

Focus on gray areas more often and you will be happier in this life.

Well a hearing aid was 95% close to normal hearing.With Hearing Aids you can enjoy music and and you can hear envoinmental sounds the way its supposed ton be heard. But Hearing Aids can only work if your heaing is between 75-45 DBs Anything above 75 DBs it wont work on you.OR if your speech is bad.

ravensteve1961 said:
Well a hearing aid was 95% close to normal hearing.With Hearing Aids you can enjoy music and and you can hear envoinmental sounds the way its supposed ton be heard. But Hearing Aids can only work if your heaing is between 75-45 DBs Anything above 75 DBs it wont work on you.OR if your speech is bad.

Growing up, my DB was 110 and I was trained to use my HAs. I have very good speech because of my training. Now with my CIs, my DB is now 20.

Where did you get such useless facts??

ravensteve1961 said:

I feel alittle awkward replying to this since I'm hearing, but I feel knowledgeable enough to say that it all seems subjective to me. Each person is different, so he or she is going to have a different experience with both hearing aids or the CI.

As people have already pointed out, one person could end up functionally HoH after implantation. Another person could end up functioning HoH with hearing aids. Conversely, HA's may not work for a person and the CI might be a dismal failure.

Excuse me for getting cute on you, but I'm going to borrow the famous Forrest Gump quote ....

This is like "a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to get."

Eh, but you know... Go ahead and spout your rhetoric, Steve. The people here have made their choices. Some have CIs and it was the best thing they ever did. Others are unsure, and still others are happy with their HAs. It's all about choice, and you really aren't going to persuade anybody with your rhetoric.

Meg whos your doctor? Ask him can i e-mail him? Theyre disscussions my doctor told me and what im i able to hear with a CI and what im not able to hear with a CI.

ravensteve1961 said:
Meg whos your doctor? Ask him can i e-mail him? Theyre disscussions my doctor told me and what im i able to hear with a CI and what im not able to hear with a CI.

Edit

Back