I'm new

Tyie

Reaction score
Hello I am Tammy I go by tyie I am hearing and I'm looking for deaf friends! My son is mild to moderately deaf and sometimes it's hard to understand him he can hear quite well but he needs speech so I am trying to learn more asl and see I only have one deaf friend that I met at the gym and looking for more

Hello I am Tammy I go by tyie I am hearing and I'm looking for deaf friends! My son is mild to moderately deaf and sometimes it's hard to understand him he can hear quite well but he needs speech so I am trying to learn more asl and see I only have one deaf friend that I met at the gym and looking for more
Excellent! Is he in Deaf ed? It's awesome that he's only HOH, but you're trying to give him everything! Way to go Mama! Have you contacted your state's School for the Deaf? He could attend Deaf classes at least part time. Also, he could take advantage of the speech therapy services offered through Deaf programs which tend to be a lot better quality then your public school speech therapist (who pretty much mostly works with hearing kids) Look into every and anything. Also, join your state's Association of the Deaf......there are usually Deaf teachers....Good luck in finding resources etc.

He was in the deaf program last year but they took him out and told me he hearing is better and that he could receive speech at a regular school and that he was way smart for that school so they moved him up and put him in a public school which has not program for him to be in because they say he don't need it so .. I am on my own and after that I haven't got any word with the deaf community since he got out of the program ...:/ "They" say it's not necessary

Excellent! Is he in Deaf ed? It's awesome that he's only HOH, but you're trying to give him everything! Way to go Mama! Have you contacted your state's School for the Deaf? He could attend Deaf classes at least part time. Also, he could take advantage of the speech therapy services offered through Deaf programs which tend to be a lot better quality then your public school speech therapist (who pretty much mostly works with hearing kids) Look into every and anything. Also, join your state's Association of the Deaf......there are usually Deaf teachers....Good luck in finding resources etc.
He was in the deaf program last year but they took him out and told me he hearing is better and that he could receive speech at a regular school and that he was way smart for that school so they moved him up and put him in a public school which has not program for him to be in because they say he don't need it so .. I am on my own and after that I haven't got any word with the deaf community since he got out of the program ...:/ "They" say it's notnecessary

He was in the deaf program last year but they took him out and told me he hearing is better and that he could receive speech at a regular school and that he was way smart for that school so they moved him up and put him in a public school which has not program for him to be in because they say he don't need it so .. I am on my own and after that I haven't got any word with the deaf community since he got out of the program ...:/ "They" say it's not necessary
Oh I get it!!! He's very academic/very smart/ not SUPER behind so they made the mistake that he didn't need the support of a self contained dhh program. Really too bad b/c even a lot of very strongly academic kids can still benefit from the built in structure/supports/safety net of a dhh program.........Too bad there's not a magnet school where all the local dhh kids attend.

He was in the deaf program last year but they took him out and told me he hearing is better and that he could receive speech at a regular school and that he was way smart for that school so they moved him up and put him in a public school
Woah......Wait a sec.....his speech has gone down thou? He could still benefit. Most kids including oral successes can still benefit from speech therapists who are very experienced with dhh kids...so there's still a need there.

That was remind me of one classmate in our class at elementary school in late 90s, he was mild HoH and talk very well, so school and his parents agreed that he is no longer needed to be in deaf program, so now, he is in hearing world and joined the military, of course, I was very surprised about him. One of my old classmate told me that he hadn't been in deaf community after left in 1999 and forgot all sign language.

Oh I get it!!! He's very academic/very smart/ not SUPER behind so they made the mistake that he didn't need the support of a self contained dhh program. Really too bad b/c even a lot of very strongly academic kids can still benefit from the built in structure/supports/safety net of a dhh program.........Too bad there's not a magnet school where all the local dhh kids attend.

Some mainstream schools undermine HoH students, even if they have mild to moderate hearing loss with good chance of oral language, but ended up in special education (or deaf program).

Yeah I'm pretty bummed out

Woah......Wait a sec.....his speech has gone down thou? He could still benefit. Most kids including oral successes can still benefit from speech therapists who are very experienced with dhh kids...so there's still a need there.
That's what I said but the school told me that they don't have a permanent speech therapist and she said they would look into it but I doubt it cuz that's what they said last year about my other son

That was remind me of one classmate in our class at elementary school in late 90s, he was mild HoH and talk very well, so school and his parents agreed that he is no longer needed to be in deaf program, so now, he is in hearing world and joined the military, of course, I was very surprised about him. One of my old classmate told me that he hadn't been in deaf community after left in 1999 and forgot all sign language.
:( well my son I think would very much benefit so fingers crossed and still praying

That's what I said but the school told me that they don't have a permanent speech therapist and she said they would look into it but I doubt it cuz that's what they said last year about my other son
Is this the regional school for the Deaf? Seems odd that they wouldn't have a permanet speech therapist since almost all dhh kids nowadays wear devices and can benefit from speech.

No they took him out of deaf school and moved him to a hearing school ... they said his hearing got better and that he didn't need to be there because they said he is very smart and that they teach at a slower rate

No they took him out of deaf school and moved him to a hearing school ... they said his hearing got better and that he didn't need to be there because they said he is very smart and that they teach at a slower rate
Hm, it seems that person who took your son out of the Deaf school and into mainstream has no clue about Deaf education apparently. Ok, Deaf school and mainstream is somewhat equally as the only difference between both is that the Deaf school teaches using Deaf native language which is American Sign Language and the mainstream doesn't. In some Deaf schools you can go, you can learn same thing from mainstream school that you would learn from the Deaf school except that you would learn through ASL and mainstream often is through spoken language.

Mainstream doesn't offer what Deaf schools offer and that's Bilingual-Bicultural (Bi-Bi) program. Your son would be bilingualism which is something that you can rarely get from any mainstream. Deaf school teaches you ASL and English separately. So two languages instead of just one language like many mainstream schools only teach and bilingualism is beneficial. Who doesn't want bilingualism in their resume, business loves hiring people who has bilingualism skills. :P

That's just my second cents. I suggest that you contact your state association of the Deaf and ask some help which I am sure that they will help you. I am Hard of Hearing myself, I have went through speech therapy and all that, wanting me to be oralism but unfortunately that never worked and decided that I only learn American Sign Language I succeed to college level. I am bilingualism. ;)

The bottom line, if your son is Hard of Hearing or Deaf. As in early stage, you might want to focus on having your son to receive education using American Sign Language instead of spoken language or "hearing school". I went through it and I sued board of education for that very specific reason because I would've learned a lot of more if I was to be taught using American Sign Language instead of struggling to lip-reading teachers spoken language.

Hm, it seems that person who took your son out of the Deaf school and into mainstream has no clue about Deaf education apparently. Ok, Deaf school and mainstream is somewhat equally as the only difference between both is that the Deaf school teaches using Deaf native language which is American Sign Language and the mainstream doesn't. In some Deaf schools you can go, you can learn same thing from mainstream school that you would learn from the Deaf school except that you would learn through ASL and mainstream often is through spoken language.

Mainstream doesn't offer what Deaf schools offer and that's Bilingual-Bicultural (Bi-Bi) program. Your son would be bilingualism which is something that you can rarely get from any mainstream. Deaf school teaches you ASL and English separately. So two languages instead of just one language like many mainstream schools only teach and bilingualism is beneficial. Who doesn't want bilingualism in their resume, business loves hiring people who has bilingualism skills. :P

That's just my second cents. I suggest that you contact your state association of the Deaf and ask some help which I am sure that they will help you. I am Hard of Hearing myself, I have went through speech therapy and all that, wanting me to be oralism but unfortunately that never worked and decided that I only learn American Sign Language I succeed to college level. I am bilingualism. ;)

The bottom line, if your son is Hard of Hearing or Deaf. As in early stage, you might want to focus on having your son to receive education using American Sign Language instead of spoken language or "hearing school". I went through it and I sued board of education for that very specific reason because I would've learned a lot of more if I was to be taught using American Sign Language instead of struggling to lip-reading teachers spoken language.
Thank you that is very helpful! I appreciate that and I will be doing that.

Back