I'm new

nicki

Reaction score
Slowly coming to the realization that the hearing that I've had, will not be coming back no matter how many times I see the ENT or what they choose to try and do.

I'm technically HOH... have had what was supposed to have been a modified radical mastoidectomy in 2013, only to discover after I changed doc's that it was a canal wall up mastoidectomy, supposedly took more than I was originally told.

There are low tones that I can no longer hear, and sometimes I hear more tones than are really there. Used to be a singer, but I can't always hear whether I'm in tune or not now.

I really don't like going out with crowds, restaurants, concerts, and even church is hard.

Hello Nicki...Welcome to AD, great place, great people.

Slowly coming to the realization that the hearing that I've had, will not be coming back no matter how many times I see the ENT or what they choose to try and do.

I'm technically HOH... have had what was supposed to have been a modified radical mastoidectomy in 2013, only to discover after I changed doc's that it was a canal wall up mastoidectomy, supposedly took more than I was originally told.

There are low tones that I can no longer hear, and sometimes I hear more tones than are really there. Used to be a singer, but I can't always hear whether I'm in tune or not now.

I really don't like going out with crowds, restaurants, concerts, and even church is hard.

Welcome to AD, Nicki!

As one who's also getting used to losing hearing, I understand what you're saying about coming to the realization that your hearing isn't coming back. It gets easier to deal with as time goes by, though. I promise!

Do you wear hearing aids? If you don't, would you consider trying them? I go to church as well and love to sing. I've found that with my current loss (mild in one ear, moderate in the other), hearing aids make music sound
really good. In fact, they make everything sound good.

There's a lot of support on this board. Many seem willing to walk with you and share their experience/wisdom with those of us who are new. I hope you'll enjoy it here!

Yes, I think hearing aids would be good for you don't have them currently, do you see an audiologist? I'm HH as well and I also use a FM system which really helps in public places too. I sang in a choir as well until it was just not possible. I would also recommend getting involved in your Deaf Community if you haven't already. Try to welcome your hearing loss and view it in a different way, a positive way.

Yes, I think hearing aids would be good for you don't have them currently, do you see an audiologist? I'm HH as well and I also use a FM system which really helps in public places too. I sang in a choir as well until it was just not possible. I would also recommend getting involved in your Deaf Community if you haven't already. Try to welcome your hearing loss and view it in a different way, a positive way.

On the bold statement, that would be a good way to describe this.

For us, d/Deafies, we encourage the late deafened like you (nicki) to accept your hearing loss, even if it is mild hearing loss like being accepted your deafness and try to go on a journey in the Deaf World. You will learn a lot about deafness and getting hearing aid(s) including in Deaf Culture. You are used to being hearing but that is something you have to live with when you can not hear sounds very well. With mild hearing loss, you should be able to use hearing aid. If you have already went to ENT, then the best thing is to go to the audiologist to try out new hearing aid(s). The audiologist will help you. Good luck.

:welcome: to AllDeaf Forum. :wave:

Hi.welcolm..........Grum you so you passionate kiwi'

Back