I'm getting involved with government

BradB08

Reaction score
Not too long back, I applied for a spot on the Vermont Commission on Native American Affairs. My reason for doing so is because I am Native American (Abenaki) and I've known this since I was 15. I've always wanted to do something to help other members of the tribe. I've seen a lot of things that have bothered me, especially treatment towards Abenakis in my state.

So, I interviewed and on Monday, I got an email that said that Governor Douglas had selected me to be on the commission. I am so excited. I didn't think I'd get one of the two spots they had available. I received an oath of office and I have to get it notarized before I send it out. I will be serving a two-year term as a member of this commission. It's purely voluntary and the commission meets once a month. I will need to find time to attend the meetings.

Just thought I would share. The state provides interpreters so I will have an interpreter for meetings. I will also see if there is a Deaf commission as well and if not, I don't see why one can't be formed.

Just thought I'd share. This is a really big deal not only to me, but to my family as well.

Congratulation on getting a job on becoming a member of the commission. It sure was not easy getting a job like this. I am native (less weakly Cherokee and more strongly Cree) and my husband who is hearing is Ojibwe. I am wishing you good luck and happiness with landing a good job on commission. May you walk in beauty forever. :D

Yeah I am looking forward to it. I know I have the potential to be a valuable asset to my tribe and to others in general.

wow!!! I am so impressed! Congrats and I am sure you will be a valuable asset to them! Way to go!

Way to go!! I hope things will go good for you.

I have heard of few tribes and Abenaki is new to me. Is it a small tribe? Do tell us what you know about Abenaki. Either in here or in a new thread. Up to you. I read online quickly and found that you might be a western Abenaki with some Algonquin according to:
http://www.tolatsga.org/aben.html

Congratulations on your appointment. I applaud you for getting involved in a way that will benefit others. A true social activist and advocate.

Many congrats to you and your success. My best to you!!:cheers:

My grandmom is full blood Choctaw Indian(Delaware Valley). I am happy for you. I wish you all the best on your new journey. I am very interested in learning about the different cultures. I believe the world needs to know and understand each and everyones heritage and abilitiy Whether it be the Indian culture or Deaf people, blind people or even just the individual person. I thank you for being the voice for all.

Back