I'm a relay operator. Do you have any questions for me?

Sorry about the two similar threads. I was just introducing myself on that other thread. The mods can delete one if they wish. So sorry again if it may seem redundant. :P

Yes, sadly there are many scammers who use the relay service for their own gains. Believe it or not, 90% of the calls we receive everyday are from scammers. Unfortunately, we are required by the government to process all calls even if we are aware that they sometimes are scammers. *sigh* Makes it even harder for real deaf people to have people listen to them and take their calls.

90%??!!! What can we do to change that to 0%?

If everybody use VRS instead of TRS, would that be 0% used by scammers?

but not every hearing impaired people know how to use ASL, neither is oral.

Well, yeah.. there's a smaller chance for fraudsters to infiltrate the video relay community since they make use of sign language and the people who use the service are easily "seen" and traced. That's the best and worst part of text relay.. It can be used by anyone who has access to the internet since all you would need to do is basically chat.

Well, yeah.. there's a smaller chance for fraudsters to infiltrate the video relay community since they make use of sign language and the people who use the service are easily "seen" and traced. That's the best and worst part of text relay.. It can be used by anyone who has access to the internet since all you would need to do is basically chat.

I thought --- why not do away with TRS .... but the deaf people would need it when their VP is down like mine is. Can it be required for a deaf person to register with TRS? A way to cut the problem down?

I thought --- why not do away with TRS .... but the deaf people would need it when their VP is down like mine is. Can it be required for a deaf person to register with TRS? A way to cut the problem down?

most online from I know, are required to register.
If use actual TTY, don't need one but can be problem for scammer to use payphone with TTY.

Ha, if they can afford one and find phone booth available, if lucky, out there.

Does your company ever record the conversations for both VRS and TRS during the relay? If yes, how long they keep the records?

both relay operation doesn't keep the record of our conversation, consider it as private.

most online from I know, are required to register.
If use actual TTY, don't need one but can be problem for scammer to use payphone with TTY.

Ha, if they can afford one and find phone booth available, if lucky, out there.

Yup. You're correct. Most users are required to register however the registration process can be accomplished by anyone, even fraudsters just by making up a fake name and/or address. The government needs to have a better registration process.

Does your company ever record the conversations for both VRS and TRS during the relay? If yes, how long they keep the records?

Nope, we don't record entire conversations. The duration and the time of the calls received are the only ones recorded for billing purposes. We have a confidentiality agreement and it is against our policy to keep track of the personal details of our callers.

Yup. You're correct. Most users are required to register however the registration process can be accomplished by anyone, even fraudsters just by making up a fake name and/or address. The government needs to have a better registration process.
better registeration process is to validate the address against a database would be more suit.

Maybe you guys can find someone powerful enough to make this kind of registration policy.. someone that can talk to our government and let them see its advantages.

Nope, we don't record entire conversations. The duration and the time of the calls received are the only ones recorded for billing purposes. We have a confidentiality agreement and it is against our policy to keep track of the personal details of our callers.

I just watched a vlog that mentioned FCC do not want to cover oral interpreters / mouthing a word on VRS. I kept thinking: how they suppose to know an interpreter is mouthing a word if they don't record VRS conversation.

better registeration process is to validate the address against a database would be more suit.

I had a couple TRS sending me a postcard to validate my address. They were going to shut down my number or wasn't going to provide me one unless i got the card in my mailbox and confirm that I do live here.

I just watched a vlog that mentioned FCC do not want to cover oral interpreters / mouthing a word on VRS. I kept thinking: how they suppose to know an interpreter is mouthing a word if they don't record VRS conversation.

I don't get it. Sorry. Not so familiar with VRS.

I had a couple TRS sending me a postcard to validate my address. They were going to shut down my number or wasn't going to provide me one unless i got the card in my mailbox and confirm that I do live here.

Wow! That's good then. I just hope they enforce that policy really well.

Back