I'm a relay operator. Do you have any questions for me?

Peyton Sawyer

Reaction score
I see and understand the frustrations that the deaf community may sometimes feel towards the relay service. I am here to help out and give useful pointers to deaf people wanting to make calls so the relay experience can be pleasant for all. Ask away, guys. I'm here to help and even shed some light on some issues that you may have. :)

I never understood why you have to click on blue screen privacy while holding. What is up with that?

I never understand why does some hearing users always hang up the call if it is relay call.

I never understand why does some hearing users always hang up the call if it is relay call.

Maybe they do not want a third person listening to their phone calls.
My hearing audiolgist want me to use a relay opertator for my phone calls, but I do not like the idea of a stranger listening to my calls.

Maybe they do not want a third person listening to their phone calls.
My hearing audiolgist want me to use a relay opertator for my phone calls, but I do not like the idea of a stranger listening to my calls.

There are several reasons. Sometimes, people just generally think that we are telemarketers as soon as we introduce the call. It may be because of how the management "scripts" our introduction or how we sound when we introduce the call, but most people just hate receiving calls from telemarketers, so thinking that we are one of em, they'd rather hang up. A second possible reason would be the alarming number of people using the relay service for scams. Unfortunately a lot of people use the service to rip off other people. Some businesses are just so traumatized that they no longer want to answer any relay call, not considering that the caller may be legitimate. Yeah, some also feel uncomfortable of having a third person listen in on their calls.. especially if they're talking about a sensitive subject or if they're handling private issues such as bank transactions or medical concerns. Other people are just too impatient to take relay calls. They don't like the idea of having to wait for the deaf party to finish typing or to slow down so that the relay operator can type what they're saying.

There are several reasons. Sometimes, people just generally think that we are telemarketers as soon as we introduce the call. It may be because of how the management "scripts" our introduction or how we sound when we introduce the call, but most people just hate receiving calls from telemarketers, so thinking that we are one of em, they'd rather hang up. A second possible reason would be the alarming number of people using the relay service for Unfortunately a lot of people use the service to rip off other people. Some businesses are just so traumatized that they no longer want to answer any relay call, not considering that the caller may be legitimate. Yeah, some also feel uncomfortable of having a third person listen in on their calls.. especially if they're talking about a sensitive subject or if they're handling private issues such as bank transactions or medical concerns. Other people are just too impatient to take relay calls. They don't like the idea of having to wait for the deaf party to finish typing or to slow down so that the relay operator can type what they're saying.

I was not aware of people using relay calls to scams people, that is really horrible , as there are people that need to use relay operators to made a call.
Some people are really disgusting to do something like that.

Whenever hearing people hang up on me, I always tell relay operator to not introduce himself as operator but rather as a person is calling on my behalf.

There are several reasons. Sometimes, people just generally think that we are telemarketers as soon as we introduce the call. It may be because of how the management "scripts" our introduction or how we sound when we introduce the call, but most people just hate receiving calls from telemarketers, so thinking that we are one of em, they'd rather hang up. A second possible reason would be the alarming number of people using the relay service for scams. Unfortunately a lot of people use the service to rip off other people. Some businesses are just so traumatized that they no longer want to answer any relay call, not considering that the caller may be legitimate. Yeah, some also feel uncomfortable of having a third person listen in on their calls.. especially if they're talking about a sensitive subject or if they're handling private issues such as bank transactions or medical concerns. Other people are just too impatient to take relay calls. They don't like the idea of having to wait for the deaf party to finish typing or to slow down so that the relay operator can type what they're saying.

Oh, that's very sad to hear about situation with scammers.

In last year, I traded my old MacBook Pro to purchase a new MacBook Pro so they told me to order via phone, even relay is not acceptable due they are victim of scammers so they told me to order via email.

Yes, sadly there are many scammers who use the relay service for their own gains. Believe it or not, 90% of the calls we receive everyday are from scammers. Unfortunately, we are required by the government to process all calls even if we are aware that they sometimes are scammers. *sigh* Makes it even harder for real deaf people to have people listen to them and take their calls.

Peyton, why are you posting two different threads of almost the same subject?

Yiz

Peyton, why are you posting two different threads of almost the same subject?

Yiz

One of her/his other thread is about introduction, not repost of same question.

Yes, sadly there are many scammers who use the relay service for their own gains. Believe it or not, 90% of the calls we receive everyday are from scammers. Unfortunately, we are required by the government to process all calls even if we are aware that they sometimes are scammers. *sigh* Makes it even harder for real deaf people to have people listen to them and take their calls.

Yup, I do like relay call because it promote me to able to call so independently without ask my parent, relatives or someone to make call for me.

operator, please merge

looks like this thread is a copy of the one in the "introduce yourself" thread. should be merged

Back