I'm a hearing girl, how do I build a friendship with a deaf guy

iamcurious

Reaction score
My question for a deaf person, is, are you generally suspicious of hearing people who try to be friends with you? Do you go out of your way to become friends with hearing people, or do you generally hang back and see if they make the initiative to hang out or talk.

Last edited:
I am not suspicious of hearing people wanting to be friends at all, but if they're interested because I'm deaf, not because I'm Caroline, then yeah, I would be offended and avoid them.

iamcurious, are you interested in being his friend only because he's deaf?

If he gave you his number, that's pretty much an invitation for you to contact him! Don't be silly, just send him a txt and say hey. see what happens and go from there.

I wasn't trying to be mean, sorry.

There was a girl that was interested in me just because i was deaf. She wanted to get to know me because she was doing research about hearing impaired social life for her job at a hospital. She wasn't up front about it though.

If he gave you his number, that's pretty much an invitation for you to contact him! Don't be silly, just send him a txt and say hey. see what happens and go from there.

I agree, send him a text, see if he responds.

I am not suspicious of hearing people wanting to be friends at all, but if they're interested because I'm deaf, not because I'm Caroline, then yeah, I would be offended and avoid them.

All my friends are hearing. I when to school with a girl that was HOH but we did not get along . And When I went to boarding school I was the only student that was HOH. And all my boyfriends where hearing.

He's obviously interested in you. Send him a text.

It's been a LONG time since I've dealt with "boys" (or even dating) but I suspect things are still the same. When a boy/guy/man gives you his phone number, he's interested.

I am not sure where you are asking the question about friendship. I assume that you would prefer to be friend with him, not in the love relationship. Is that what you want to say about friendship? If you as a hearing person interest in making friendship with the deaf guy, then you can make friendship as long as he is a person, not his deafness. If he sign the sign language, then you should sign with him if you had already learned in the ASL classroom. Just don't go overboard with his deafness and trying to help him wherever he is capable of taking care of himself. Just have a nice chat with him whether you take note to him or sign to him or use the smartphone if you both have them. Good luck. :wave:

Im a deaf man, but placed in the hearing world. In short, with hearing aids, i was able to speak and hear fluently that no one can determine i was deaf at all.. (unless the obviousness that is)..

All my life i hang out with the Non-deaf community, i never hang out with the deaf community. Oh i did once, but i find that i was shut out, simply because they cant work out whether im a deaf person, or a hearing one.. (kinda discriminant doesn't it? oh well.. <censor> 'em...)

If you are TRULY interested in him.. the person that is.. that great mind of his that is.. what is there to worry? It would be some degree of difficulties sure, but if both of you can work it out.. then brilliant, for the relationship would last almost forever...

So ... dont just sit there and ponder about what OTHER people think, or what he thinks.. just go out there.. and grab him. like a saying here in Australia "If ya never never go, you'd never never know"

PS: I love DeafBajaGal's response.. and I agree with her.. JUst treat him as you would with any other person

Back