If you were president

Kris

Reaction score
Hey there

If you where the President, what would you change in the hearing world. Why? How would this help deaf culture? :bowlol:

Make ASL mandandory in all deaf ed programs along with spoken language especially in early childhood education.

Make ASL mandandory in all deaf ed programs along with spoken language especially in early childhood education.

Yeppers, and also make mandatory contact with the deaf community and referral for ASL instruction for hearing parents of dear kids. Make all early intervention programs Bi-Bi. And use funds from the dept. of health and human services to fund it.

For some reason I swore you would gonna say something like this, and am I soo right? :giggle:

-Beating the congresses' asses to let the deaf join the US military, even to the frontline.
-Better interpreter service in the whole USA
-All public schools should have the ASL classes, required for the half credit
-ALL movies and videos, even the old ones, must have the closed-captions.
-All hospitals should have the interpreter, just in case, if deaf person bought in the ER from any incidents.

Any questions?

Make it a crime to say "It's not important" when someone is asked to repeat something.

Hi Jan: What are "sounds control laws"? :ty:

I mess up,I meant sound control law. normal hearing people have the control over how loud things can be. like t.v. music and things like that.[I was trying to be funny]

I would get colleges and schools to make sign language as requirement, not just Spanish and French only.
So that we deaf people don't have to rely on TTY, paper and pen, and stuff.
We can use VRS with hearing people who know sign.
So that cops won't arrest us or shoot at us and misunderstood us.

Nice huh?

-Beating the congresses' asses to let the deaf join the US military, even to the frontline.
-Better interpreter service in the whole USA
-All public schools should have the ASL classes, required for the half credit
-ALL movies and videos, even the old ones, must have the closed-captions.
-All hospitals should have the interpreter, just in case, if deaf person bought in the ER from any incidents.

Any questions?

You are absolutly right. My mother is a nurse in a hospital and she said I should voulenteer to interpret for deaf people. She gets them from time to time in her area. But I'm not an interpreter. But they should abosultly have an interpreted on call or on staff!:h5:

I would get colleges and schools to make sign language as requirement, not just Spanish and French only.
So that we deaf people don't have to rely on TTY, paper and pen, and stuff.
We can use VRS with hearing people who know sign.
So that cops won't arrest us or shoot at us and misunderstood us.

Nice huh?

This is something I never thought of. I think any service like police, fire, hospital, or any service that is critical should definatly have staff that know ASL. And I agree that shcools should teach it, before college! I have 2 boys, 2 and 4, and I am teaching them any signs I know so that if I can be fluent so can they. I encourage other foreign languages too. They should be able to talk to anyone they want too know matter the language. Sometimes I feel that hearing people expect deaf people to make the effort to adapt and make it easier for them. I think more hearing people should make the effort to make it easier on others. It's only polite!!!!!:pissed:

I would make sure that deaf schools have the same curriculum as the hearing schools. Often deaf education seems to be lacking somewhat when compared to others.

Make it mandatory that ASL be offered as a foreign language elective in all secondary and post-secondary schools. 90% of schools already offer Spanish as a foreign language elective, in many small rural schools, Spanish is the ONLY foreign language elective offered.

Make it mandatory that children who are born deaf/hoh their parents must take an ASL course as well as their children during the developmental years before being considered a candidate for a CI. I find it ludicrous that a family would sell their home just so their daughter who ALREADY knows ASL can get a CI.

Companies would be obligated to hire a deaf/hoh employee, no more BSing that the person was looked over for a 'more qualified' candidate for the job.

I would find a way to start a nationwide "Deaf Mothers Fund" that assists specifically deaf/hoh mothers who are having trouble seeking gainful employment and or enrolling in a post-secondary school for a college degree. It wouldn't be a direct money handout but rather it would get the mother into a job working a minimum of 30 hours per week and offer assistance with daycare as well as housing assistance. It would get them better set up to eventually be able to stand on their own two feet rather than consistently leaning on the SSI for a handout.

Housing benefits for the deaf - often I read here and I realize that the majority of people here don't own their own home but rather rent or live in public housing with a desire to someday own. Just as the government offers housing benefits to low-income families and first time home buyers through HUD, but what about those who are deaf that just seek the American Dream like other Americans? Not everyone desires a white picket fence and a dog, but why settle for mediocrity? Think not about just what you have, but beyond it.

Assistance to those who seek to get off SSI and to become a working citizen- a sort of transition phase where one month they received their final SSI check and the next week they receive their first paycheck rather than one month see their final SSI check and next year see their first paycheck.

Restrict SSI benefits to those that REALLY need it. If you are of sound mind and able bodied you must work, no other option. It was originally meant as a TEMPORARY help - let's make it a temporary help again and help build our country back up with more people working and generating more revenue for other social programs such as HUD, SCHIP, and Medicare/Medicaid.

I would make sure that deaf schools have the same curriculum as the hearing schools. Often deaf education seems to be lacking somewhat when compared to others.

Make it mandatory that ASL be offered as a foreign language elective in all secondary and post-secondary schools. 90% of schools already offer Spanish as a foreign language elective, in many small rural schools, Spanish is the ONLY foreign language elective offered.

Make it mandatory that children who are born deaf/hoh their parents must take an ASL course as well as their children during the developmental years before being considered a candidate for a CI. I find it ludicrous that a family would sell their home just so their daughter who ALREADY knows ASL can get a CI.

Companies would be obligated to hire a deaf/hoh employee, no more BSing that the person was looked over for a 'more qualified' candidate for the job.

I would find a way to start a nationwide "Deaf Mothers Fund" that assists specifically deaf/hoh mothers who are having trouble seeking gainful employment and or enrolling in a post-secondary school for a college degree. It wouldn't be a direct money handout but rather it would get the mother into a job working a minimum of 30 hours per week and offer assistance with daycare as well as housing assistance. It would get them better set up to eventually be able to stand on their own two feet rather than consistently leaning on the SSI for a handout.

Housing benefits for the deaf - often I read here and I realize that the majority of people here don't own their own home but rather rent or live in public housing with a desire to someday own. Just as the government offers housing benefits to low-income families and first time home buyers through HUD, but what about those who are deaf that just seek the American Dream like other Americans? Not everyone desires a white picket fence and a dog, but why settle for mediocrity? Think not about just what you have, but beyond it.

Assistance to those who seek to get off SSI and to become a working citizen- a sort of transition phase where one month they received their final SSI check and the next week they receive their first paycheck rather than one month see their final SSI check and next year see their first paycheck.

Restrict SSI benefits to those that REALLY need it. If you are of sound mind and able bodied you must work, no other option. It was originally meant as a TEMPORARY help - let's make it a temporary help again and help build our country back up with more people working and generating more revenue for other social programs such as HUD, SCHIP, and Medicare/Medicaid.

The Deaf school where I work at uses the public school curriculm and so does many others that I have done volunteer or internships at.

I think you are right on all those points Dixie. I am happy to see so many good ideas coming from everyone. I just wish they could be implimented and on a timely basis.

im sure need CC,interpreter and also deaf people need going enter military with deaf commercials and lots of mores what deaf people and kids really needs for! or NOTHING!

Back