If you were hearing

Originally posted by deafdyke
My feelings EXACTLY!!!!!! It is really cool that you see it that way especially as you're late-deafened!!!!!! Are you into ASL and deaf culture and everything?
Me, I've never known what it's like to be able to hear like a hearing person. I know what it's like to be able to hear as a deaf/Hoh person but not as a hearing person! I have to say if someone offered me a pill that could cure my deafness, I would NOT take it even if you offered me a million dollars!

:werd: agreed there

I am not too sure if I am hearing... Since I have 5 kids.. they are loud even I can hear them.. :crazy: Be grateful that being deaf... whats more be proud who you are though... But I am very curious what if I am hearing, Probably be like my sister and my brother, They are rich snobs.. eh! thats sucks :thumbd:

Dont worry Be Happy

:dance:

I have to say if someone offered me a pill that could cure my deafness, I would NOT take it even if you offered me a million dollars!

I agree with you completely. I always say the same thing to my hearing friends, and they look at me with shock, thinking I am such a hardhead or whatever. I am like "You just don't understand, that's all." That makes them mad, 'cos they think they do. Whatever :laugh2:

Originally posted by Lasza
If I am a hearing. For sure I would join Marines or Navy. Want do it for our country. Dang me deaf so i cannot meet requirement for join in the military.

Yes, you can, only serving as civilian duty. There are some Deaf people working at the bases.

Originally posted by Cain Marko
There is no draft. Military is voluntary.

Saying draft is just a scare tactic to make us not get involved with things.

Umm, also, if the guys do not sign up for Selective Services, they will not get Pell Grant or most financial aid for college! :X

lol deaf258 and kuifje! yeah! interpret singing.. that's what a deaf friend of mine does. :D

If I were hearing, my life would be completely different - I would have been still living in the micronesian islands, surfing and hanging out with all kinds of people la Real World style. My dad moved the family to Hawaii because he wanted me to have a better opportunity in education there after having found out that I was tested for high IQ at a young age. Everything happens for a reason ;)

I have to say if someone offered me a pill that could cure my deafness, I would NOT take it even if you offered me a million dollars!

I would feel the same about myself no matter what hearing level i would have or presently dont have.
My identity is not based on my ears.
There is more to me than "my deafness"...Lets move beyond it.

ALWAYS!! i always think about that.. sometime i always wish that i want to be hearing in some way.. OF COURSE i am glad to be deaf too... but i know that my life will be different when i am hearing...

I am wondering what will my life will be when i am hearing... i know that someone do feel that way too...

that is good thought :)

If I am hearing, I would be Grade 12 or 13 at Government Job. I could become a supervisor or directorate of this department.

I could become a Sentor or Vice President of USA to help ADA improvement better law and advocate the Deaf people for their better training, career and jobs. I want to see Deaf people equal as hearing people's salary as succesful.

I may never meet jerk my ex husband if I am hearing. :D

My whole life would be so different if I was hearing, being able to hear my daughter sing which people tell me that her singing voice is so beautiful, that breaks my heart that I cannot hear her singing voice. But, at the same time, I'm proud to be deaf, I graduated college, and did a lot of things that I thought I would have never done if I was hearing, one of those, I wouldn't even have met my ex-hubby if i was hearing, and wouldn't have my daughter, so I'm happy I'm deaf, but am sick of dealing with my ex-hubby while I'm happily married to my husband of almost 2 years.......ofc he's deaf also! :)

[My identity is not based on my ears.
There is more to me than "my deafness"...Lets move beyond it./QUOTE] Sigh...Cain why do you always feel the need to quibble with stuff I say?
I identify strongly as Deaf b/c I consider myself a Visual "Seeing" person...I don't identfy as Deaf simply b/c I have some hearing loss (and actually my loss is so mild in my left ear,that I can talk on a (non-amplified) phone without my HA. My idenity is NOT hearing impaired or culturally HOH. (cultrally HOH means that you consider yourself culturally closer to hearing people then to Deaf people)
However being Deaf isn't my entire idenity. I am not hyperfocused on it.....I also identify as multihandicapped/ severely disabled, a woman, a lesbian, middle class and so on.
There's black pride, Scandanavian pride, Irish pride and so on...
It's the same theroy... There are people who are incredibly proud of being Irish or Greek and are really into it the way some deaf people strongly identfy as Deaf. Yet nobody is accusing them of letting that identity exclusively define who they are!

Originally posted by stuntchic
i would love to be hearing, but I think that being deaf is not bad - its just different, and it is definately the way that you look at it that makes the difference. I have slowly come to accept my deafness, and now i dont mind it too much... Annoying when you miss the pizza guy though, whos been knockin on your door for the past hour, then gone back to the shop!:eek:

I think that if any person were to become the opposite of what they are, they would change. (ie: you can see - now u cant, you can feel - now you cant.. etc) I am no exception - nor are any of you. :) I think, no - i KNOW, my life would be SO different. I might not be more popular, more outgoing, or anything like that, nor would that matter. We are who we are based on (IMO) what we were destined to become. Granted, life changes us, but we were intended to be one way and this is what would become of us.

I suppose I too, had the honor of being hearing and then deaf, then Deaf ;) Seeing how i didnt go "completly" (stopped wearing hearing aids) deaf till i was 14 and then profoundly deaf at 17. Its a constant struggle, to try and get your foot in the door, to both cultures - you become torn. I am glad I am Deaf, some days. :)

I SO agree with stuntchic, its all in how you look at it. I choose life - the positive aspects of life - and for that, i am who I am today.

Originally posted by Xoxostarss
Deaf people can do anything but hear!!!

Er, to be honest, I have issues with this "slogan." But that's a whole other debate.

Anyway, if I was hearing, I wouldn't be as tired, depressed and frustrated as I am right now. Chronic overcompensation can do that to you.

If I was hearing I would be a rock and roll star. I've always wanted to be Bruce Springsteen or Suzi Quatro!

Are you ready to ROCK?

I know if I was a hearing person, I would have not gone off to college but have become a cop or joined the air force- i'm 99.99% positive about what I would have become :)

Cricket said:
I know if I was a hearing person, I would have not gone off to college but have become a cop or joined the air force- i'm 99.99% positive about what I would have become :)

to become a cop, needs college experience to become a cop :)

if i was hearing, life would be changed, i would travel around the world joining CIA.

I worked in airforce base for 2 years from 1997-1999 at minneapolis international airport. it's great experience.. you can work at airforce base, but unforuntally you can't fly a jet. but can work in base like warehouse, data entry, etc..

Back