I want to get into Pokemon.

Interpretrator

Crime fighter
Premium Member
Reaction score
I know nothing about it but so many people talk about it that I want to give it a try. Which game should I start with? I would prefer to play on the DS but the 360 would be okay also. I have a PS2 but don't play it much. Also, any good sites for noobs to read?

GameFAQS is a good place to start. There's a few sticky threads, and you can click on the FAQs for the game on this page, Pokemon Diamond Message Board - Pokemon Diamond Forum - Pokemon Diamond Discussion

I don't think Pokemon is on the 360 though. It is a Nintendo property.

I used to play Pokemon when it first came out, the Blue and Red, Yellow, then Silver and Gold, and I stopped there, very time-consuming BUT VERY FUN. Collecting and building your party is addicting.

Here's the offical Pokemon site, Pokemon-Games.com I found these sites by googling 'Pokemon Diamond'.

I also played Pokemon Pinball on the GBC, loads of fun.

I guess you probably shouldn't start... period.

Pokemon is something that has been going on and evolved for over 10 years.

I suggest you do some research on the history from how it started, who the original characters are, etc.

There's an anime show called Pokemon. The main character has a pokemon that has never changed since the beginning. Yet, he meets new pokemons throughout the series. That character is Pikachu. They've made a lot of Gameboy games such as Red, Blue, Green, Silver, Crystal, etc. I barely understand the concept of it, but it's not something I am willing to get into because there are other things that I find more amusing than just Pokemon. ;)

...don't go into it.

it's not worth the time and money unless you are ready to invest your soul into it...

I know nothing about it but so many people talk about it that I want to give it a try. Which game should I start with? I would prefer to play on the DS but the 360 would be okay also. I have a PS2 but don't play it much. Also, any good sites for noobs to read?

I'm Pokemon fan since 1998 and remember about series in different of games, also Pokemon is exclusive to Nintendo, only for Wii and DS.

Pokemon is RPG and you have journey a lot, from beginning in character's home to elite four and catch or battle on other Pokemon, the level of Pokemon are increase when experience point has met. You would have some puzzles, such as maze at cave on around victory road.

I had played Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver, Rudy and Diamond, I'm currently play on Diamond on DS right now.

Its recommended to play it if you are RPG fan, plus there's 2 Pokemon game are RPG in 3-D and other newer game, Battle Revolution on Wii don't contain feature of RPG, just mainly battle with other Pokemon at stadium.

Aww. I think I would recommend it to Interpretator. She loved Viva Pinata so I know she will really enjoy Pokemon Diamond. I think it depends on the individual, the learning curve of the elements all monsters have in the game. A friend of mine mastered the game and I could never beat him because he memorized all the element counters. For example, water will always beat rock, or thats how it was in Red and Blue.

Also I recommend it because, naturally anyone would be curious about it, and I think it's worth experiencing at some point. I don't think I myself will ever get back into it, but I know I did experience the beginning few games up to Gold/Silver.

Aww. I think I would recommend it to Interpretator. She loved Viva Pinata so I know she will really enjoy Pokemon Diamond.

Thanks, man. Don't worry, if I want to play a game I know there will always be people saying "Don't do it!" I rarely listen. So what, if I don't like it that's an hour of my time wasted? :dunno:

Anyway, thanks to you and Pacman for the helpful information. I am about to try out Pokemon Diamond or Pearl, I can't remember which one. (Since it's my first time I don't care which Pokemon I get...maybe later I will!) We'll see how I do.

Heh. You'll know you've gotten addicted to Pokemon when you buy both versions.. I know I did buy all versions from Blue, Red,Yellow, Gold, Silver, and Platinum. Good Times.

My husband was used played w/pokemon but anymore.. lost interest!
Pokemon almost same alike Yu-oh-uh game.
He loved playing yu oh uh games NDS... very addictive!
When we will get wii and bet he'll addict w/wii
Let's hope not let my husband hooked w/wii.. (chuckles)

Interpretrator, I feel you man...I am already overwhelmed by so many different series and game versions and not to even mention how many new monsters are created every year.

I could never get into Pokemon on TV. It's nice but the such basic story have never changed lol.

Of course I am already a Digimon loyalist so it's hard for me to follow something that won the heart of United States (and probably Japan I think), instead of Digimon. But that's another story.

There's too many games to pick from lol. I am probably going to try one when a newer version come out on Wii, where you don't have to depend on DS to play unlike Battle Revolution, which is almost worthless without a DS.

It isn't a free country. We must follow what others say and dicate us to play. Pfft.

I'm so used to this with people who play WoW, then quit because they get totally addicted and then tell you "OMG WTF DON'T PLAY YOU'LL GET ADDICTED!" Can we talk about "projecting?"

Anyway, I want to play because being around gamers most of the time I'm constantly hearing Pokemon references and I want to be "in the loop." Someone loaned me the Pearl DS game so I'll try that for a while and buy it if I like it.

I'm so used to this with people who play WoW, then quit because they get totally addicted and then tell you "OMG WTF DON'T PLAY YOU'LL GET ADDICTED!" Can we talk about "projecting?"

Anyway, I want to play because being around gamers most of the time I'm constantly hearing Pokemon references and I want to be "in the loop." Someone loaned me the Pearl DS game so I'll try that for a while and buy it if I like it.

Yo. I bought a DS today. Tell me if you like it even though you are a newbie (and so am I). I will be waiting on your opinion since we are in the same situation.

To those huge fan of Pokeman games, which version most likely will have dog/wolf clan in which you can collect? Don't laugh at me, I don't know nothing about Pokemon but I do recall there's a dog looking pokemon and each with varied element.

Can you suggest which games I should buy for my DS? I bought Zelda Phantom Hourglass, but that's it so far.

My son used to play that all the times and have collect all the color and now he lost them all except a few one. I have spend so much money on it and he lose it. :pissed:

Yo. I bought a DS today. Tell me if you like it even though you are a newbie (and so am I). I will be waiting on your opinion since we are in the same situation.

I am enjoying it a lot! I've been playing on a borrowed cart so I'm going to buy my own soon. If you like Pokémon I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Unfortunately I can't help you with the dog thing.

There are so many good games for the DS. What kind of games do you like? There's Brain Age and Big Brain Academy for mind puzzlers, Clubhouse Games for tons of different card and board games, Super Mario Bros. which is fantastic, Super Mario Kart is very fun, Animal Crossing or SimCity DS if you like world-building games, Cooking Mama and Warioware for stylus games...the list goes on and on. I'm not too big on sidescrollers (except Mario) so I can't help you there.

Hmm...I like RPG very much. I am not big on puzzle or building stuff nor play FPS and sport on DS.

I also like rpg/adventure or action games like Zelda or Metroid which I know DS already have both. But I don't know any other games that are like those.

I like Mario games or some sidescrollers games.

I don't know Pokemon games. I know only a little of what I have saw on television but that's it. I only have a vague idea. I have never played them which is why I asked for your opinion as well since you didn't play any before either right? You don't feel overwhelmed or whatsoever?

Umm...dunno.

To those huge fan of Pokeman games, which version most likely will have dog/wolf clan in which you can collect? Don't laugh at me, I don't know nothing about Pokemon but I do recall there's a dog looking pokemon and each with varied element.

Can you suggest which games I should buy for my DS? I bought Zelda Phantom Hourglass, but that's it so far.

Look here: Eevee (Pokémon) - Bulbapedia

I recommended Diamond or Pearl version for DS, due to able to trade any pokemons over WiFi Online and minigames like mining for rare stones with friends.

If you like Metroid or Zelda, go with Castlevania games for DS. I been played Portrait of Ruin for over 12 hours, on few stages and some final bosses to defeat. It's quite pleasure to play since last time I play Metroid 2D games.

Look here: Eevee (Pokémon) - Bulbapedia

I recommended Diamond or Pearl version for DS, due to able to trade any pokemons over WiFi Online and minigames like mining for rare stones with friends.

If you like Metroid or Zelda, go with Castlevania games for DS. I been played Portrait of Ruin for over 12 hours, on few stages and some final bosses to defeat. It's quite pleasure to play since last time I play Metroid 2D games.

Castlevania huh? Ok I will look at that.

Eevee, ya I remember that pokemon. It looks a lot like fox. But I will accept that.

Since you also gave a good link. I found one I was talking about.
Growlithe (Pokémon) - Bulbapedia

But there were also black dog that breath fire, I remember. But I don't remember what it is called. Houndour or something.

I am looking for something like this. Yeah, I want my whole collection to be a pack of canines lol.
But is it possible?

Which version is better, pearl or diamond?

I have never played them which is why I asked for your opinion as well since you didn't play any before either right? You don't feel overwhelmed or whatsoever?

Nah. It's really easy. Just talk to all the characters in the game and they'll tell you what to do. It can get complicated choosing and training Pokémon but it doesn't have to be. You can just play it through the first time however you want but you can also look at websites and do some research to find out how you want to train your Pokémon. It's up to you. I'm not getting into the most complicated levels of training, just playing around and having a good time. I figure when I finish the game I can focus on deeper details.

Which version is better, pearl or diamond?

They're exactly the same except there are 20 (I think) Pokémon that are exclusive to each version. So if you want to complete your index, you have to trade over Wi-Fi with someone who has the other version.

If you know there's a particular Pokémon you want, you can look up what's in which version. Otherwise it doesn't matter which one you get.

Back