I want 2 know what everyone things about doctors and hospitals

xcel2greatness

Reaction score
Everyone Hello,

Through the years, I've seen a lot of people have problems with hearing doctors and emergency rooms. Can anyone give put information on their experience with doctors and emergency rooms? What happened? How did you feel? What worked the best? Do you think we need more Deaf doctors? Or more Doctors that know sign?

xcel2greatness said:
Everyone Hello,

Through the years, I've seen a lot of people have problems with hearing doctors and emergency rooms. Can anyone give put information on their experience with doctors and emergency rooms? What happened? How did you feel? What worked the best? Do you think we need more Deaf doctors? Or more Doctors that know sign?

Emergency rooms are the worst because it is hard to get interpreters at very last minute and even if I do get an interpreter, it is usually a lousy one. Pertaining to doctor visits, I went through 4 years of pure hell with doctors who refused to take me seriously. I was misdiagnosed more than 10 times before finally got the proper diagnosis 4 years later and getting appropriate help for it. During the 4 year orderal, I must have seen about 50 different doctors and most wouldn't provide interpreters and I was too much in agony to lipread/speak.

My story is very personal and very horrible so would rather not repeat it here but in general, I did go through shit with drs and have very little faith in drs since then.

You say " do you need we more Deaf doctors?" ...I have never even met a deaf doctor to begin with but I would like to see more doctors being sensitive with Deaf needs but then again, all drs are that way with various populations. Im reading this very interesting book on Hmong population and Doctors so its an eye opener. It is very difficult for all doctors to be familiar with various populations and their special needs/cultural values/norms etc but I want each doctor to be PATIENT and not dismiss anyone so rudely simply because he/she cannot relate.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have known this doctor for 18 years. We had an interpreter once. I begged her to getting an interpreter to be prepare for surgery. She said, it is awful expensive. I said.. sorry.. I want to make sure that I understand her before I go ahead to having a surgery. What is the fucking wrong with her? Should I understand all the medical terms ?

It's not always a good idea to try finding more deaf doctors. Since signing usually requires certification, you're better off getting an interpreter. If it was a short friendly visit, then a doctor that knew sign language would be nice. The reason for this is because of the sticky issues with lawsuits. People are always suing because of doctors' signing skills. That's why doctors avoid the use of learning other things unless they have time to go out and get themselves certified. But on the other hand, you can't really use your skills a certified doctor and certified signer at the same time... conflict of interest.

This was not right!!!!!!!!!!

Sabrina said:
I have known this doctor for 18 years. We had an interpreter once. I begged her to getting an interpreter to be prepare for surgery. She said, it is awful expensive. I said.. sorry.. I want to make sure that I understand her before I go ahead to having a surgery. What is the fucking wrong with her? Should I understand all the medical terms ?

By law, she had no choice but to get an interpreter. That was not right for her to do that. Did you let her know how you felt?????

Meg said:
Emergency rooms are the worst because it is hard to get interpreters at very last minute and even if I do get an interpreter, it is usually a lousy one. Pertaining to doctor visits, I went through 4 years of pure hell with doctors who refused to take me seriously. I was misdiagnosed more than 10 times before finally got the proper diagnosis 4 years later and getting appropriate help for it. During the 4 year orderal, I must have seen about 50 different doctors and most wouldn't provide interpreters and I was too much in agony to lipread/speak.

My story is very personal and very horrible so would rather not repeat it here but in general, I did go through shit with drs and have very little faith in drs since then.

You say " do you need we more Deaf doctors?" ...I have never even met a deaf doctor to begin with but I would like to see more doctors being sensitive with Deaf needs but then again, all drs are that way with various populations. Im reading this very interesting book on Hmong population and Doctors so its an eye opener. It is very difficult for all doctors to be familiar with various populations and their special needs/cultural values/norms etc but I want each doctor to be PATIENT and not dismiss anyone so rudely simply because he/she cannot relate.

The emergency room problem is wide spread. I have a friend that had the same thing happen to him in an emergency room. He had to wait for find an interperter, but what I wondered, "What if he had a problem that he could have died from, then what?"

Deaf Doctor ?? I never met one either. I know Treps are more expensive for high level pays like Jury Duty or ER or Surgery. I seen one trep went with my friend to surgery and it was success for both of them being there. The doctors have no problem with them. ER is very busy and not able to get time to get treps on the time. If you know you have to go ER then get your instant trep come with you.....

:fu2: hospitals.. they can kiss my ass. i hate them cuz they make me so depressing...

The problem is the patient shouldn't have to pay!!!!!!!!!

MizzDeaf said:
Deaf Doctor ?? I never met one either. I know Treps are more expensive for high level pays like Jury Duty or ER or Surgery. I seen one trep went with my friend to surgery and it was success for both of them being there. The doctors have no problem with them. ER is very busy and not able to get time to get treps on the time. If you know you have to go ER then get your instant trep come with you.....

My daughter got a job at Six Flags, we didn't let them off the hook until they paid for a Int. If the doctor sees some one who is Deaf or HOH, then they have to pay.... It's as plain as that!!!!!!!

Yea, I hate hospitals too

nozobo said:
:fu2: hospitals.. they can kiss my ass. i hate them cuz they make me so depressing...

Yea, I hate hospitals too, you always catch something when you go in the door!!!!!!! :afro:

Meg said:

there are deaf doctors.. i know two of them- carolyn stern and another one in philly (who is not mentioned in the article that was posted in AD) and also a deaf dentist (chris lehfeldt aka dr chris in rochester) ... they are great people and they really care about their patients.. i was surprised to see more doctors in rochyshit.. in case u didnt see it.. but check it out.. it is in the DEAF EDUCATION CATEGORY.. and the thread is.. DEAF DOCTORS OR STUDENT DOCTORS.. it is nice to know that we have more doctors..

megs--- dont know if u knew this.. but i always wanted to become a doctor when i was growing up as my 3 uncles are doctors.. but as i aged.. i started getting squirmy over vomit and blood let alone seeing something getting cut open .. like c'sections for instance!! :barf: so i was like FORGET IT.. lol :dizzy:

Meg said:

:doh: another thing i forgot to add.. OOPSIE!! my last visit to the ER wasnt too bad to my surprise.. i slipped on ice and cracked my skull open in the winter of 2001 in rochyshit.. they thought i had broken my neck (thank god i didnt!) i was rushed into the ER ... if i recall.. it wasnt too long before i got an interepreter.. and then i was out of there in like 1-2 hours after getting stitches and feeling high from pain killers... cuz i have been in the ER where i stayed for HOURS AND HOURS.. (which i detest the most!) .. i guess in rochyshit with the deaf population.. things and services are faster?? :dunno:

zesty said:
:doh: another thing i forgot to add.. OOPSIE!! my last visit to the ER wasnt too bad to my surprise.. i slipped on ice and cracked my skull open in the winter of 2001 in rochyshit.. they thought i had broken my neck (thank god i didnt!) i was rushed into the ER ... if i recall.. it wasnt too long before i got an interepreter.. and then i was out of there in like 1-2 hours after getting stitches and feeling high from pain killers... cuz i have been in the ER where i stayed for HOURS AND HOURS.. (which i detest the most!) .. i guess in rochyshit with the deaf population.. things and services are faster?? :dunno:

:jaw: I am glad you're alright..... I've seen been in the ER for hours and didn't get help, but you had a cracked skull, how long did it take before they found someone to help you, 30 min, 1 hour, :dunno:

i TRY to avoid the hospitals or the doctor's office as much as possible -- only time i HAVE to go is when im required to get bloodwork done for TSH (thyroid) to check to see if its going well or not before i could get Rx refilled for synthroids when i ran out of allowed Rx refills -- i almost never have a terp with me cuz those appts are always 10 mins

xcel2greatness said:
:jaw: I am glad you're alright..... I've seen been in the ER for hours and didn't get help, but you had a cracked skull, how long did it take before they found someone to help you, 30 min, 1 hour, :dunno:

oh yea i am ok.. this happened back in the winter of 2001.. i remember being scared cuz the EMTs were holding me down so tight so i wouldnt move in fear of my neck being broken when it wasnt.. and then i was strapped all over especially my head and neck.. and rode in the ambulance with all these EMTs talking.. and i couldnt move my head to see what the heck they were talking about and the opening was on the back of my head and it HURT LIKE HELL.. AND i was trying to tell them i wasnt comfy and all that.. they were like.. be patient.. we are almost at the hospital.. blah blah... but they were wonderful people.. i got attention (tended to) as soon as i arrived to the ER.. and then the terp came .. i would say maybe 15 min later.. so i was lucky with the terp and fast services altogether from the time the ambulance arrived and getting out of the hospital..

Fly Free said:
i TRY to avoid the hospitals or the doctor's office as much as possible -- only time i HAVE to go is when im required to get bloodwork done for TSH (thyroid) to check to see if its going well or not before i could get Rx refilled for synthroids when i ran out of allowed Rx refills -- i almost never have a terp with me cuz those appts are always 10 mins

oh yes i dread getting bloodwork!! i am a BIG BABY i admit!! cuz of a very bad/horrifying experience.. one time back in 93 or 94.. i was sick.. so i had to get blood work.. so i went to this lab where this BIG FAT WOMAN who was new at that time.. was so nervous and all that.. she couldnt find my frigging vein and all that. and POKED ME EVERY F*CKING WHERE ON MY ARM WITH NEEDLE INSIDE!! she kept doing it for like 10 min or so.. FINALLY I SCREAMED AT HER AND SCARED THE SHIT OUTTA HER.. cuz she was HURTING ME LIKE HELL.. my ex fiance told her off.. and made her get the dr or someone.. man.. i couldnt move my arm for like a week or so.. cuz it was ALL SWOLLEN AND BLACK AND BLUE.. so ever since then.. i always plead with them to make sure THEY KNOW WHAT THE HELL THEY ARE DOING... then i have the nurse hold my hand and i get teary while they STICK a needle into my arm.... i would do those breaths as if i am in labor! lol it is funny cuz they all look at me.. as if i am a baby cuz i am a grown woman.. lol i am like i dont give a rat's ass what they think of me! lol

There's a program in one of the ERs here where they provide you with a short notice interpreter via video link, like VRS.
They have a cart with a small TV and a Camera.

zesty said:
oh yes i dread getting bloodwork!! i am a BIG BABY i admit!! cuz of a very bad/horrifying experience.. one time back in 93 or 94.. i was sick.. so i had to get blood work.. so i went to this lab where this BIG FAT WOMAN who was new at that time.. was so nervous and all that.. she couldnt find my frigging vein and all that. and POKED ME EVERY F*CKING WHERE ON MY ARM WITH NEEDLE INSIDE!! she kept doing it for like 10 min or so.. FINALLY I SCREAMED AT HER AND SCARED THE SHIT OUTTA HER.. cuz she was HURTING ME LIKE HELL.. my ex fiance told her off.. and made her get the dr or someone.. man.. i couldnt move my arm for like a week or so.. cuz it was ALL SWOLLEN AND BLACK AND BLUE.. so ever since then.. i always plead with them to make sure THEY KNOW WHAT THE HELL THEY ARE DOING... then i have the nurse hold my hand and i get teary while they STICK a needle into my arm.... i would do those breaths as if i am in labor! lol it is funny cuz they all look at me.. as if i am a baby cuz i am a grown woman.. lol i am like i dont give a rat's ass what they think of me! lol

:shock: thats INSANE! that "nurse" should been FIRED -- she has been trained to learn how to stick a needle in the right place and yadda yadda and obviously shes not paid attention to her training it looks like :roll: ur crying at the office is justified cuz u were majorly traumatized from this nurse and its just scarred into memory -- i do not blame u at all!

i had a nurse who was of arabic descendent (i think) at the doc's office a few years back -- my gawd she DIDNT KNOW what the fuck she was doing -- i got the other nurse the one i liked who does the job best to jump in and take over *relieved* the origional nurse was a bit pissed at me and i didnt give a shit LOL -- yea i ended up with a bruise for a few days and psst ive not seen that particular nurse ever again -- prolly either quit or got fired due to complaints from other patients :lol:

omg... u're similar to me abt that part for blood work.. oh man that happened in 1997-1998 I stayed in hospital for 4 days since i was sick with food poisoning and I was very weak -- dehydrated... anyway... i ll explain what happened.... MOM gave up cuz i couldn't stop throwing up for 3 days in a row and told me thats IT, u're going to hospital and i screamed NOOOOO, but i have to.. no choice. so we arrived to the hospital and first thing i sat down on the floor, i didn't want to walk all the way over there to waiting room, forget it. nurse asked if i was ok, i said i'm waiting for my mom.. nurses fine with it and.... they put me on wheelchair and transferred me on the hospital bed. i felt so sleepy and sad.. I didn't want to stay... then theres a nurse came in and my god.... I want to kick this nurse, but i screamed instead........ cuz this nurse can't find my vein 3 freaking times and kept trying to get the vein and pushing it hard. i'm like wtf... I screamed and said leave me the hell alone!! and nurse felt bad and backed off it hurts real bad and got bruise (snapped) just like that.. geez it turned me off at this nurse. then there was a dr coming in and say i got to put the i.v. in, i said NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO cuz of what the nurse did. it hurts! dr says just one time ok?? i said ok... and he told me what to do had to squeeze my hand hard for a few sec and yayyyyyyy it worked.. finally... but heck... they put me on i.v. and medicine for stop throwing up and etc... i was too freaking weak -- couldn't really walk much and had high fever too 104 or 103 or whatever... ugh.... and made me stay overnight at the hospital for 4 days cuz of infection was still there and wanted to see me to make sure i eat and am doing ok and etc. i missed the new year eve and day... *pouts* then finally got out of hospital and had to pack and go back to ntid.. but I ended up still getting sick at ntid sleepy a lot and bad stomach. it was horrible so ended up going back home and never came back to ntid til 1999. i was sick for approximately 3 months by wrong food posioning or medicine... i hope it will not happen again.

Fly Free said:
:shock: thats INSANE! that "nurse" should been FIRED -- she has been trained to learn how to stick a needle in the right place and yadda yadda and obviously shes not paid attention to her training it looks like :roll: ur crying at the office is justified cuz u were majorly traumatized from this nurse and its just scarred into memory -- i do not blame u at all!

i had a nurse who was of arabic descendent (i think) at the doc's office a few years back -- my gawd she DIDNT KNOW what the fuck she was doing -- i got the other nurse the one i liked who does the job best to jump in and take over *relieved* the origional nurse was a bit pissed at me and i didnt give a shit LOL -- yea i ended up with a bruise for a few days and psst ive not seen that particular nurse ever again -- prolly either quit or got fired due to complaints from other patients :lol:

ill NEVER forget that for as long as i live!!! lol i never went back to that lab ever again.. you got that right.. the terrible and horrifying experience was SCARRED INTO MY MEMORY!!

i had a similar experience again at rit.. i was stressed out from school and all that.. they thought i got mono.. so i had to have bloodwork again.. GRRR!!! this asshole dr.. he was the only guy at the SHC if some of you know who i am referring to.. he gave me the CREEPS!! but anyway.. he cudnt find a frigging vein.. i was like .. THATS IT.. TAKE THE DAMN NEEDLE OUT AND GET SOMEONE ELSE! he was like.. he had to do it.. blah blah.. i am like.. no .. acted like a stubborn kid lol.. then he is like.. fine let me do it on the top of your hand.. i said.. ARE U KIDDING ME?? he said no..and that it was the 2nd option for finding a vein.. sheesh.. the min he stuck a needle on a vein.. i almost slapped him.. cuz it HURT LIKE HELL.. and he was irritating me already.. as he was so CREEPY!! of course as a result, i got a black and blue.. it looked like i got into a fist fight lol.. ever since then.. i always requested for another nurse!! grrrr

OldNavyGirl said:
omg... u're similar to me abt that part for blood work.. oh man that happened in 1997-1998 I stayed in hospital for 4 days since i was sick with food poisoning and I was very weak -- dehydrated... anyway... i ll explain what happened.... MOM gave up cuz i couldn't stop throwing up for 3 days in a row and told me thats IT, u're going to hospital and i screamed NOOOOO, but i have to.. no choice. so we arrived to the hospital and first thing i sat down on the floor, i didn't want to walk all the way over there to waiting room, forget it. nurse asked if i was ok, i said i'm waiting for my mom.. nurses fine with it and.... they put me on wheelchair and transferred me on the hospital bed. i felt so sleepy and sad.. I didn't want to stay... then theres a nurse came in and my god.... I want to kick this nurse, but i screamed instead........ cuz this nurse can't find my vein 3 freaking times and kept trying to get the vein and pushing it hard. i'm like wtf... I screamed and said leave me the hell alone!! and nurse felt bad and backed off it hurts real bad and got bruise (snapped) just like that.. geez it turned me off at this nurse. then there was a dr coming in and say i got to put the i.v. in, i said NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO cuz of what the nurse did. it hurts! dr says just one time ok?? i said ok... and he told me what to do had to squeeze my hand hard for a few sec and yayyyyyyy it worked.. finally... but heck... they put me on i.v. and medicine for stop throwing up and etc... i was too freaking weak -- couldn't really walk much and had high fever too 104 or 103 or whatever... ugh.... and made me stay overnight at the hospital for 4 days cuz of infection was still there and wanted to see me to make sure i eat and am doing ok and etc. i missed the new year eve and day... *pouts* then finally got out of hospital and had to pack and go back to ntid.. but I ended up still getting sick at ntid sleepy a lot and bad stomach. it was horrible so ended up going back home and never came back to ntid til 1999. i was sick for approximately 3 months by wrong food posioning or medicine... i hope it will not happen again.

oh you poor thing.. glad you are ok now!! gosh.. these ppl dont know how to stick a frigging needle in the right place/spot.. and they get PAID A LOT OF MONEY.. while most of us work our azzes off to make ends meet!?? thanks a lot!! lol

Last edited:
Back