I need some advice please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks you guys... I do appreciate your insight. To be clear my son is profoundly deaf and is not able to communicate via phone. He just wants one that takes pictures because this kid on his bus has one. As I have mentioned I have a cell phone that will take pictures but it's not subscribed to a service so there is no cost involved. After hearing from you all I am going to give him this cell phone so that he can take pictures with it and pretend if he chooses. Thanks again.!!

Hope it works out well for you. I know it's hard to keep up with what our kids want sometimes.

Hope it works out well for you. I know it's hard to keep up with what our kids want sometimes.
Thanks Scherm...
Yeah.. I know what you mean about what the kids want... My mind reading skills are not what they use to be.

Thanks Scherm...
Yeah.. I know what you mean about what the kids want... My mind reading skills are not what they use to be.

I know what you mean.......plus I have to figure out how much to spoil them vs letting them learn the value of things. God, when did I grow up!! LOL

My daughter has her cell phone.. I gave her credit limit which she dislike it.. too bad be tough!
As far I know she using phone calls silly thing it will maxium calls cost.. her cell phone will shut it off automatically.. or you have to buy pre-paid cards.. (chuckles) she have to learn earn her own money from allowance through chores!!!

I ain't giving her pleasure money.. Hell no way..

I assume your son's social peers who trying to convience your son want buy cell phone who have ci.. Impossible 110% can hear the cell phone. Depend vary young children are very out smart smooth talking... Im not allow my children listen their peers talk... as long parent have affordable to get one for their child.. unless "Mature well and responbile"

I'm not buy another cell phone for my last son.. because he is not ready to use it.. reason he is 11 yrs old... espically my daughter is 13 yrs old... constantly she going out w/her friends and where can I reach her... much more easier.

Well I gave him the phone last night and he was very happy. He came to me at least 10 times wanting to know how to take pictures and movies. I showed him and despite our ability to minimially communicate, he caught on very fast. I was impressed. Some of those phones are not easy to operate but all he really wants are the picture capabilities and I also put his name on the phone and added some phone numbers to his contact list. If he ever gets lost (God forbid) and has this phone then someone may be able to contact us because I put our numbers in there. Again thanks for all of your input because you helped me to make a decision. :ty: :ty:

Glad it worked out for you. I am busy researching MP3 players for my son who will be 9 in 2 weeks. That's what he wants for his b-day. Man.....i have a headache. I don't think I like being an adult anymore!! LOL

Well I gave him the phone last night and he was very happy. He came to me at least 10 times wanting to know how to take pictures and movies. I showed him and despite our ability to minimially communicate, he caught on very fast. I was impressed. Some of those phones are not easy to operate but all he really wants are the picture capabilities and I also put his name on the phone and added some phone numbers to his contact list. If he ever gets lost (God forbid) and has this phone then someone may be able to contact us because I put our numbers in there. Again thanks for all of your input because you helped me to make a decision. :ty: :ty:

Awww what a sweet daddy you are. ;) that's an excellent idea to add phone numbers on the contact list in case of emergency, smart move rockdrummer.

Yay, all's well that ends well, Rockdrummer; I just didn't understand the bit about the phone numbers since you said there wasn't service to that phone.

Yay, all's well that ends well, Rockdrummer; I just didn't understand the bit about the phone numbers since you said there wasn't service to that phone.

He programed them into the phone so that if his son gets lost or hurt another person can find them in there and call from a different phone.

Aw, I'm glad that you decide to give your phone to your son, now that he can show off his phone cum to this friends, and take many pictures too...glad that everything works out :)

I realize that it's a "done deal" already, and I 100% understand your reasons for wanting to keep your son happy, etc.

That said, a word or two of caution: There are legal implications involved in photographing minors, even by other minors! I work in a public school, as well as the summer camp industry, and usually very clear guidelines are put in place about those kinds of items being used on school property (including school busses). Many schools and camps prohibit their use, due to the potential for the "wrong" kinds of pictures being taken (and possibly distributed). At a conference I attended a few years ago, I heard horror stories from other camps about the kinds of videos that were being shot "in private" that made their way around youtube.com, etc. Believe me when I tell you, it's scary what kids and teens record themselves doing, "all in good fun".

God forbid, your son takes a picture (or video) with his camera of ... I don't know... a boy with his shirt off, and somewhere down the road charges of impropriety take place.

I guess what I'm saying is: be extremely careful, and I would monitor very closely the kinds of images he's taking. I'd also contact the school (assuming he's taking it to school) to see if they have a policy about phones, videophones, cameras, etc.

Another mundane thing to consider is that a lot of schools and camps prohibit "high ticket items" (ie, things that cost a considerable amount of money) from being brought to school/camp, due to the potential for loss/theft/damage.

He programed them into the phone so that if his son gets lost or hurt another person can find them in there and call from a different phone.

That was a great idea too...

Got it! Duh me! Good idea....

I realize that it's a "done deal" already, and I 100% understand your reasons for wanting to keep your son happy, etc.

That said, a word or two of caution: There are legal implications involved in photographing minors, even by other minors! I work in a public school, as well as the summer camp industry, and usually very clear guidelines are put in place about those kinds of items being used on school property (including school busses). Many schools and camps prohibit their use, due to the potential for the "wrong" kinds of pictures being taken (and possibly distributed). At a conference I attended a few years ago, I heard horror stories from other camps about the kinds of videos that were being shot "in private" that made their way around youtube.com, etc. Believe me when I tell you, it's scary what kids and teens record themselves doing, "all in good fun".

God forbid, your son takes a picture (or video) with his camera of ... I don't know... a boy with his shirt off, and somewhere down the road charges of impropriety take place.

I guess what I'm saying is: be extremely careful, and I would monitor very closely the kinds of images he's taking. I'd also contact the school (assuming he's taking it to school) to see if they have a policy about phones, videophones, cameras, etc.

Another mundane thing to consider is that a lot of schools and camps prohibit "high ticket items" (ie, things that cost a considerable amount of money) from being brought to school/camp, due to the potential for loss/theft/damage.
Thanks... all good points to consider. If it causes problems anywhere for him I'm sure I will hear about it and will then take corrective action. I appreciate your comments.

Kids don't like the rules we give them, but they have to learn to live by our rules. So, Without rules how will they ever learn to respect us? tsk tsk. That why I am sticts with my daughter. :)

Kids don't like the rules we give them, but they have to learn to live by our rules. So, Without rules how will they ever learn to respect us? tsk tsk. That why I am sticts with my daughter. :)

:giggle: That's right. When they have a home and family of their own then they can make their own rules, till then, they follow mine. I stole that from my dad!!! :giggle:

:giggle: That's right. When they have a home and family of their own then they can make their own rules, till then, they follow mine. I stole that from my dad!!! :giggle:
yeah,... I can't remember how many times my mom would tell me... "Just wait till you have kids. I hope they are as much trouble as you are." May she rest in peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back