I need some advice please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rockdrummer

So there is this kid on my son's bus that has a CI. Well this kid also has a cell phone that takes pictures etc. As kids are I guess he is showing off his phone and what not. Anyway, my son now wants a cell phone that takes pictures. I have one that I can give him that doesn't actually connect to a cell service but it takes pictures and has other bells and whistles that still work without paying for cell service. Should I give this to him or would it promote social bluffing? And is social bluffing even considered a bad thing? :dunno: So far I have not given him this phone but everyday he keeps asking me and is even showing me advertisments for cell phones. He even came to me last night with his gift money to indicate he would even pay for the phone. I am having a hard time saying no to this but I don't want to give this to him if it's going to cause any problems for him socially. Also keep in mind that my son is profoundly deaf. I welcome your thoughts and opinions on this.

Thank you!! :ty:

So there is this kid on my son's bus that has a CI. Well this kid also has a cell phone that takes pictures etc. As kids are I guess he is showing off his phone and what not. Anyway, my son now wants a cell phone that takes pictures. I have one that I can give him that doesn't actually connect to a cell service but it takes pictures and has other bells and whistles that still work without paying for cell service. Should I give this to him or would it promote social bluffing? And is social bluffing even considered a bad thing? :dunno: So far I have not given him this phone but everyday he keeps asking me and is even showing me advertisments for cell phones. He even came to me last night with his gift money to indicate he would even pay for the phone. I am having a hard time saying no to this but I don't want to give this to him if it's going to cause any problems for him socially. Also keep in mind that my son is profoundly deaf. I welcome your thoughts and opinions on this.

Ha............Can you believe how times are changing? I remember when it was a MUST to have a cabbage Patch Kid. Now it's cell phones!!! Wow. I have told my son (9yrs old) that he can have a cell phone when he can afford the cell phone bill. :)

Yes, You could, You know how kids are those days, when someone has something, another kid would want something like this other kid has. It's very common.

Nah It wouldn't cause no problem with him socially, he's a human being just like everyone else no matter how much one hears better. Hell I even talked on my son's cellular phone even through I'm deaf. :giggle:

Ha, ever since I brought my teenager a cell phone, my other 2 children, age 12 and 8 wants one too, but I told them not until they're 16...

Since you said that your son just want a cell phone just to take pictures, etc?..how about giving him a camera instead?

Yes, You could, You know how kids are those days, when someone has something, another kid would want something like this other kid has. It's very common.

Yes it is, my oldest son's friend has a nice truck, and now he wants one just like his friend....

:thud:

Yep! Sad world......and peer pressure! :ugh3:
especially if you run with a certain crowd, if you
dont have what they got, you aint nuthin to them!
now, thats sad!.....

People tend to always want what they don't have!!! It's sad.

Thanks all of you for your responses. And it's funny but it is a sign of the times. I did consider a camera but he keeps signing phone then camera so I believe it's going to have to be a camera phone. My guess is that he will also pretend to make phone calls on it which is where the social bluffing comes in. My concern about that is the kid with the CI may figure out that the phone doesn't actually work and may make fun of my son because of that.

Kids can be cruel in pointing out the differnces of others. Your son is just rrying to use peers as a reference group. Very normal behavior. I'd let him have the phone, and remind him that he is not to pretend to make phone calls on it because it could cause some problems for him with the other kids.

. My concern about that is the kid with the CI may figure out that the phone doesn't actually work and may make fun of my son because of that.

Let's hope not, kids are being kids you know, even my son still played with his broken toy, not that I mind, if he's happy with his broken toy and still wants to play with it, for all that means he can play with it. If other kids say something about it, I'll tell the kids to cool their jets and let my son have his fun. ;)

AH if my kids want cell phone they can get a job to pay for it when they are teenagers. Cell phone are not cheap, they are expensive to make calls on a cell phone then a regular phone in the house. AHhhh my cell phon cost me 20 cent a minute and that not cheap. Geez.

AH if my kids want cell phone they can get a job to pay for it when they are teenagers. Cell phone are not cheap, they are expensive to make calls on a cell phone then a regular phone in the house. AHhhh my cell phon cost me 20 cent a minute and that not cheap. Geez.
Thanks and you are right. The thing is that we are talking about a cell phone that doesn't have service but still takes pictures etc. There is no cost to me because I allready own this phone.

I think, Rockdrummer, give him the phone to take pictures along with the cautionary words Jillio mentioned; you know how kids are, there are a million other ways to pick on or make fun of someone. I do understand your hesitation, tho.

I agree with many of the others but important that u follow what u feel is right. If it was me, I would tell my children if they can pay for the phone bill, they can get a phone. Since u said no service phone so if your son is willing to work for it, then I dont see the harm but what if other kids got more expensive gadgets and your son wants those? Sometimes, if needed, there is a line to be drawn.

I remember I used to bug and bug my mom for the Guess? designer jeans in high school simply because the cool kids were wearing them but she said no cuz she is not spending $80 on a pair of jeans and that was back in '86! I eventually gave up. :giggle:

I agree with many of the others but important that u follow what u feel is right. If it was me, I would tell my children if they can pay for the phone bill, they can get a phone. Since u said no service phone so if your son is willing to work for it, then I dont see the harm but what if other kids got more expensive gadgets and your son wants those? Sometimes, if needed, there is a line to be drawn.

I remember I used to bug and bug my mom for the Guess? designer jeans in high school simply because the cool kids were wearing them but she said no cuz she is not spending $80 on a pair of jeans and that was back in '86! I eventually gave up. :giggle:

HA I rember always wanting Gloria Vanderbelt jeans back in the 80's!!! Remby Brooke Sheilds doing the comercials??

You could give him a new cell phone for him to use as his own, but I suggest that you do it ONLY if you're able to pay for it yourself. If you go ahead and get him a phone and he ends up not paying for it, he'll be stuck (probably you since you're his legal guardian) with high bills. Also, be sure it's something he will stick with and/or use... not just a fad that he will forget about in a few weeks or so.

Vampy, if he gives him a phone, he (Rockdrummer) has one that will take pictures but is not locked into a cell phone service. Besides, that wasn't the point of his asking us for our opinions.

Thanks you guys... I do appreciate your insight. To be clear my son is profoundly deaf and is not able to communicate via phone. He just wants one that takes pictures because this kid on his bus has one. As I have mentioned I have a cell phone that will take pictures but it's not subscribed to a service so there is no cost involved. After hearing from you all I am going to give him this cell phone so that he can take pictures with it and pretend if he chooses. Thanks again.!!

Thanks you guys... I do appreciate your insight. To be clear my son is profoundly deaf and is not able to communicate via phone. He just wants one that takes pictures because this kid on his bus has one. As I have mentioned I have a cell phone that will take pictures but it's not subscribed to a service so there is no cost involved. After hearing from you all I am going to give him this cell phone so that he can take pictures with it and pretend if he chooses. Thanks again.!!

Pretending is actually a very normal and beneficial activity for cognitive development. Let us know how it goes, rd. Sounds like your son is prrgrssive through childhood just as he should!

After hearing from you all I am going to give him this cell phone so that he can take pictures with it and pretend if he chooses. Thanks again.!!

You're welcome. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back