I left the garbage disposal on for 45 minutes

Angel1989

Premium Member
Reaction score
I called hubby home because I was smelling gas. The house alarm went off too which I didn't hear. I was freaking out. A neighbor calls my hubby's cel phone. He rushes home from his errands, walks in and notices the garbage disposal is running. We figure it got hot and that was the problem.

Does anyone know of a product that would make the power switch blink when it was on? If so, where do I buy one.

Thanks

There are many websites online that offer visual products. Harris Communications is one that I've bought from in the past.

But what do you mean about making the "power switch blink"?

You may want to invest in strobe alarms for your fire alarms, if you haven't already. I don't know if that's what you meant by house alarm, or if you meant a security system.

A baby alert could help with sounds (e.g. the garbage disposal). You can hook it up to lights or vibrator.

I'm asking about the wall switch that turns the garbage disposal on. I've left it on a few times since I can't hear it.

I've looked online and didn't find anything.

I called hubby home because I was smelling gas. The house alarm went off too which I didn't hear. I was freaking out. A neighbor calls my hubby's cel phone. He rushes home from his errands, walks in and notices the garbage disposal is running. We figure it got hot and that was the problem.

Does anyone know of a product that would make the power switch blink when it was on? If so, where do I buy one.

Thanks

WOW ! that had to been frighten! I am glad you're OK. Maybe you could light switch the light up when it on. I had left my fan on over the stove for a long time as I forgot I had it on and could not hear it.

I would think there would be light switches that would light up (like the plate or the switch itself lights up) when it's flipped on. hmm... you might have to do some research, or maybe ask at Home Depot or something like that.

All of the garbage disposals that I've encountered all used a light switch for it to work.

I'm asking about the wall switch that turns the garbage disposal on. I've left it on a few times since I can't hear it.

I've looked online and didn't find anything.

I've never heard anything about a wall switch that blinks. Sorry. Seems like an all-inclusive noise monitor (e.g. baby monitor as I mentioned) would help better because it alerts you to anything that is making noise and you would go check on that, especially if it's an unexpected noise.

But believe me, I know how you feel. It only took one time of leaving the kitchen faucet running for at least 30 minutes (only because I know when I was in the kitchen last) to make me start checking stuff all the time to be sure nothing was running.

:giggle:...know it's not funny...but it happened to me before also. I left mine on all night long...or until it completely ran out....My doggie was continuously cocking her head to one side....(she heard it but didn't know what it was that made that type of noise)....

I've also left the stove range hood vent on...until it would not work anymore....

So I just made it a point to stand by and cut them off when I'm done and not leave the kitchen. Also tied a twist-tie around my pinkie at times to remind me that I've gotten something on and will need to cut it off....

WOW ! that had to been frighten! I am glad you're OK. Maybe you could light switch the light up when it on. I had left my fan on over the stove for a long time as I forgot I had it on and could not hear it.

Thank you very much for your kind words. I felt kind of silly afterwards. So glad hubby was available or I would have called the fire department. Now that would have been embarassing:laugh2:

Thank you very much for your kind words. I felt kind of silly afterwards. So glad hubby was available or I would have called the fire department. Now that would have been embarassing:laugh2:

I turned on my dish washer and after being on about 15 minutes I started to smell smoke and called the fire department as I thought I had a wall fire!
A fire man burned his hand on the dish washer when he tried see what was wrong. It turn out the last person that lived here put a knife in the dish washer and a part of the blade broke off and I did not see it and could not hear the dish washer acting strange. The motor was stuck and over heated , I was told it was good thing I called 911. I had just moved in my new condo and almost had a fire ! So I can understand how you feel.

I think I found one on Amazon. Others said they found them at Home Depot so we will check. Thanks!!

If you don't find your light up switch, just put a colored mark at the on position of the switch, and on the end of the lever, then you are sure to notice it is on.

I wonder if you could get an electrician to install a deadman switch? That is, it has to be actually pressed to operate, and when you remove your hand it shuts off automatically.

Yes there are lighted switches that could be used ... I found 2 different pics of different types ... will post those here as well as a link for a lighted switch at Home Depot ... I would recommend having an electrician install though to make sure its wired correctly and won't be a fire hazard and to check the disposal as well to make sure it is still safe to operate after being left on that long ... heres the pics and link to the switch Lowes Hardware may have it as well but I wasn't able to find it listed online.
switch.jpg
switch1.jpg
Leviton 15/20-Amp Lighted 3-Way Industrial Toggle Switch - Clear-R57-01223-0LC at The Home Depot

Oh boy! Don't leave high powered appliances unattended, definitely a fire hazard. Yes, lighted switches are available, you can get the best varieties at Lowe's. Just make sure to kill the electricity flow in the fuse box before installing or get someone with electrical experience.

I wonder if you could get an electrician to install a deadman switch? That is, it has to be actually pressed to operate, and when you remove your hand it shuts off automatically.

Whenever I use my switch (which is in front of the sink, not on the wall) I keep my hand on it so make sure I turn it off. Your idea is better because you're forced to keep your hand on it.

I just thought of something.

Whenever you run a disposal you also run water in the sink. When finished, you turn off the disposal first, and then turn off the water. If you forgot to turn off the disposal wasn't the water still running? Did you notice the water running in the sink?

I just thought of something.

Whenever you run a disposal you also run water in the sink. When finished, you turn off the disposal first, and then turn off the water. If you forgot to turn off the disposal wasn't the water still running? Did you notice the water running in the sink?

Maybe it was her first time to own the garbage disposal.

I don't understand how to forget to turn it off. Mostly time garbage disposal took around 5 seconds then turned off. I don't see why it needs longer than 10 seconds. Also I can feels the vibrate.

Leaving the water running after cutting off the switch is good because the water will rinse away any residue left in the disposal.....I leave my water on every time I use my disposal and when I cut it off, let the hot water run for a few seconds then cut it off.

That could be a bad idea as you have to have the water running and you if keep your on the faucet and deadman switch at the same time you could get an electric shock.

Back