I finally get to start classes!

steph9700

Reaction score
I have been sending emails almost monthly for around 1 to 1&1/2 years to the aidb to this one person that is listed as contact on the bottom of the adult education section. I tried something different this month and just typed in a few random letters and numbers ..."@aidb.org" so it would hit the basic catch all box for the website and guess what??? It worked! My message finally got to the right person and I get to start American Sign Language class tonight @ 5:30! Apparently the person that belongs to that email address is not a very nice person. He basically picks and chooses what he is going to forward and if he's decided you aren't "disabled enough" he will just plain out delete the email and put your email address on his blocked list. She said this has been happening for a while and that he had been written up and warned about the way his saying and doing things and treating people. When I got ill and sent it to a random address it got caught by the web site administrator and forwarded to the right person. I sent the email on Monday last week but didn't check my mail again until Tuesday so I missed the almost immediate reply from the teacher that I could come to class starting that Monday night @6pm. I emailed her back and asked her if it was too late to go ahead and start coming to class this second Monday, (today!) and she said okay! I have to be there around 5:30 to get my class materials and to get the catch up on the stuff I missed in the first class then the main class starts at 6pm. I am finally going to be able to learn asl and to be able to get into the deaf and hoh community of this area like I've needed for so long! When my parents were alive they never would let me learn sign language and talk down to me, belittle me and degrade me for wanting to learn. My dad wouldn't let me get hearing aids because he felt I wouldn't wear them, even though I begged all the time! I got chastised growing up in school because I couldn't understand something that a person said because I couldn't see them talking when they were turned away from me. When I turned 19 and had the chance to get my own hearing aids I got them & it made my father very mad, he said if I couldn't hear then I wasn't paying enough attention, that I didn't want to hear. Even though he had to wear hearing aids himself he treated me like he had been treated his whole life. I had a hearing test done in January of this year and had another one done on the 3rd of this month, I'm going to attach it so you guys can see how much it's changed in 9months, she marked the last test with dots compared to the X's & O's for the current one. I go back October 7th to see the Dr. and have a complete hearing test, the comprehension the tones, all of it, and my husband is going with me so they can explain to him exactly how bad it really is and maybe help him understand better. I'm going to call Cara today and see if she can add him to her schedule for a full hearing evaluation that way she can compare his to mine so he can understand better.

Hi Steph, I am glad that you are back here at AllDeaf. Welcome back. I am very happy that you want to learn ASL. You are not alone when we all share the same feelings like you have gone through with your parents not wanting you to have ASL and hearing aids. My mother forced me to wear hearing aid when I was 9 years old, but did not want me to learn SEE or ASL. Most of the hearing parents do not want us to use the Deaf way. They wanted us to be like them and hoped to have our hearing cure like CI. Next thing, Some of the hard of hearings are hoping for a stem cells which they think it will happen probably in three to five years or later. To me, I do not think it will happen. :roll: Anyway, good luck in learning ASL. Congratulation. :D Also good luck with the hearing test for next month. :hug:

Hi Steph,
Good to see you back here. I hope you've been doing better than before.

:applause: about you going back to school and learning ASL at last! Have fun and enjoy learning in a different environment. :)

Cheers!

Wow... sucks that you had to go through all that. :(

I've been in similar situations where a person will see it one way and immediately ignore the rest just because of he/she is simply ignorant. :roll:

That's what I usually do when I can't get through one person... I look for someone else to get through. :thumb:

If you're ever told to communicate with this person again, make sure you CC all your e-mails to this person's supervisor. :thumb:

Hi Steph, I am glad that you are back here at AllDeaf. Welcome back. I am very happy that you want to learn ASL. You are not alone when we all share the same feelings like you have gone through with your parents not wanting you to have ASL and hearing aids. My mother forced me to wear hearing aid when I was 9 years old, but did not want me to learn SEE or ASL. Most of the hearing parents do not want us to use the Deaf way. They wanted us to be like them and hoped to have our hearing cure like CI. Next thing, Some of the hard of hearings are hoping for a stem cells which they think it will happen probably in three to five years or later. To me, I do not think it will happen. :roll: Anyway, good luck in learning ASL. Congratulation. :D Also good luck with the hearing test for next month. :hug:

Wrong, CI is NOT a cure

there is news that is happening stem cells to treat deafness. At issue now is how much is profit. It is debated (eg deafdude) which, when there are initial gains of 20-40 db, others who averaged 20 db. And there are rare cases of complete cure. In Beike forum say they've tried a few but successful or good results. I think to be novel not expect a complete cure, but an improvement in hearing.
more information stem cells deafness China?? stem cells deafness China??? - alt.support.hearing-loss | Grupos de Google

Thanks you guys! I had fun, I talked some of the other students into meeting 30minutes before each class so we could practice a little with each other a bit before Jan comes in and flies through forty things! She is so sweet but man does she fly! She's been an interpreter for the last 15 years, she's been on stage interpreting for Barney the purple dinosaur, Bo Bice that's from here that won American Idol, the last 2 governors here in Alabama, and lots of other things! She didn't brag or anything like that, when I followed her to her office after class I saw all these pictures lined on her book shelves and walls. She has all kinds of certificates and stuff everywhere in there. I think once I go deaf to the point the hearing aids I have now don't work anymore, that, that's going to be it. I don't want ci implants, pretty sure they won't take with me anyway and can't afford the surgery todo it on top of all the other issues and doing the stem cell thing... nah... the technology is too new, I'll let the other people and scientists live with the effects. now that my parents are gone I don't have anyone looking down on me and trying to force me to act like I'm a total heary. It's bad enough I'm in the middle, I have mostly heary friends and family and barely a foot in the door of the deafy community around here. I don't like being in the middle and feel like I don't really belong in either, it's a hard place to be. I am however taking as much advantage as I can while I do still have hearing left and learning as much asl as I can before it's all gone... she's given me a list of books that I can buy or check out from the library to help with the practice plus my husband is going to be my "signing buddy" as she put it.. whatever I learn I bring it home to him and show him so we can both learn, then we can practice it the rest of the week til the next class! the only problem I'm having is that I'm missing my House show, Tony was a complete dear for me last night and recorded it for me, said he would do it every week as long as he wanted me to that he was proud of me for doing something for myself that I'm happy about, said he would do anything as long as I showed him I was getting better about taking care of me. I'm in a really good happy place today. THANK YOU FOR THE WELCOME BACKS AND THE CONGRATS!

Back