I feel like I've been cheated. (bad language)

There are some tech colleges that offer on-line degrees no matter where you live. You just have to be careful which one you pick, to be sure that it's got a good reputation.

I'm also getting a two-year IT degree. I'm taking every one of my classes on-line. At my college, the problem isn't not enough students enrolled for each on-line class; the problem is too many! They often add more sections as the classes fill up. They fill up fast. In the IT major, depending on the specialized track you take, there are only a few that require in-person classes. (That is not my track.) Even those usually aren't a lot of lecture, and include a lot of one-on-one assistance. On-line students also have the option of in-person meetings with the instructors if they need help. Students are also encouraged to help each other thru discussion boards.

Our school is mostly local students but we also have students enrolled on-line from out of town. Because local residents get cheaper tuition, mostly SC residents enroll. One of my classmates last semester took his classes while serving in the Marines in Afghanistan. I think that might be the furthest one away. :lol:

Some jobs really don't require degrees to accomplish the work. Unfortuneately, some companies blindly believe that everyone on board must have a degree, just to say that they do. One company where my daughter used to work required a degree for advancement. Ironically, my daughter, who didn't have a degree, trained the new people who were hired for the advance positions. She always had better sales and more clients but she didn't have the paper for advancement. That seems to be the trend now--must have a degree, even if it's not relevant for the work.

If you can get a job without one, great! Once you do get the job though, you might want to still look into taking on-line courses at your own pace to eventually finish your degree. You never know when the company policy might change.

That's a good idea to search out a college that offers everything online. As long as I stay with this college, I'm going to be locked down in this town. Because I have to be in their classrooms, using the accommodations they say are sufficient for me (they are not), and I can't even get out of here.

I want to find work in a large city somewhere... Minneapolis, Denver... somewhere else. I'm falling behind in some of my classes because I am not understanding the transcripts (a friend of mine compares the transcripts to EE Cummings poetry, short, choppy, and nearly non-sensical). I'm just really frustrated with the whole thing and I'm not making good money with this class load.

That's great that you're going for an IT degree as well. :) You could become the next Bill Gates. ;) :D

Thanks for everyone's replies.. I feel better, but I'm still mad at myself for not being able to hack this with a hand tied behind my back (essentially).

THIS. Go to NTID! it will be SO WORTH IT! it will solve a heck of a lot of problems!

I don't know how I'd pay for it...

i should apply and see what they say.

But I also have to weigh the time it takes to get a degree from anywhere, against the earnings i'm giving up by not working an entry-lvel IT job somewhere.

I've already given up about $45,000 in pay over the last two years, to go to school. Well, before living expenses and all that, but still.

Do not be afraid. Be courageous. It may sound like you've got a lot on your plate. There's not always the right time to learn sign language. You just have to take with it. Sometime it takes a leap of faith to turn things around. Sorry you're having a hard time dealing with this situation. Just remember this won't be a forever thing. :)

I don't count myself a sentimental type, no remorse and that stuff, so I will spare any souped up comfort words. Just saying in advance.

Can you start planning ahead and make decisions? I know I would in your situation, my principle is that it is better to act sooner than force yourself through something you did not want to involve in (within reason).
What are your realistic options now?

seems like you could:

A. Start talking/emailing NTID/RIT admissions and getting an idea what courses transfer and if you can be eligible? Is there a non-traditional student back to school program? They have them in my home state, but I don't know how it works in NY. For CA, there are relaxed guidelines for people looking to re-enter or finish their degrees.

B. (bit of A, but can lead to different stuff) Can you talk with your current college's advisors to see how you can transfer to NTID/RIT? Assuming that the advisors are competent enough.

C. Start looking into alternative programs in/out state that DO provide adequate accommodations that you know of, or witnessed. It doesn't always have to be NTID/RIT, they're fairly great for all-round disabilities support, but I doubt they are the only school. If you need something as simple as a CART or captionist (depending on what your flexibility is) then you've got plenty of choices.

D. Start looking into changing your residency to your desired state if you DO want to attend college there? You can receive VR benefits after you have become that state's resident (NY for ex). All it takes is something as simple as getting a job as the bare minimum, otherwise you have to wait some time before you can change your residency. It differs by state.

E. Challenge the current college and get involved in the legal aspect, maybe earn some legal settlement. (I personally wouldn't do this, it's not my personality to bother with this but just listing it out here - some people would do it.)

F. Whatever you can think of. Start getting active instead of putting yourself in a pigeon-hole imo, your future should be decided in your hands, not in the hands of others.

I'm going to be heading to Rochester for NTID's Open House. I'll check it out and see what it looks like. Maybe I can find work in Rochester while finishing a degree at NTID.

It's all still up in the air.

Thank you for the words of encouragement, everybody.

Yesterday, I was having breakfast at McD's and someone I know from the Deaf community stopped at my table. Didn't expect to see her there at all.

We had a conversation written on napkins (Thank you, McD's) and she was telling me about how she was raised oral as well. She was 14 before she insisted on going to deaf school over her mother's objections. She went from being a D and F student in the hearing school, to being an honor student in the deaf school. She said she found her identity, her "voice", and her smile.

And she went to RIT as well years ago. She said I should go there.

Everybody who knows anything about RIT/NTID keeps telling me to go. So, I'm going to go and check it out. :)

I'm 35 just like you. I hate the choices I make in my life. If you look at my posts, you'll see what I'm going through. Just want to say that I sympathy with you.

i'm going to be heading to rochester for ntid's open house. I'll check it out and see what it looks like. Maybe i can find work in rochester while finishing a degree at ntid.

It's all still up in the air.

Thank you for the words of encouragement, everybody.

Yesterday, i was having breakfast at mcd's and someone i know from the deaf community stopped at my table. Didn't expect to see her there at all.

We had a conversation written on napkins (thank you, mcd's) and she was telling me about how she was raised oral as well. She was 14 before she insisted on going to deaf school over her mother's objections. She went from being a d and f student in the hearing school, to being an honor student in the deaf school. She said she found her identity, her "voice", and her smile.

And she went to rit as well years ago. She said i should go there.

Everybody who knows anything about rit/ntid keeps telling me to go. So, i'm going to go and check it out. :)

yes, yes, yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey man. The fact you are pissed and angry and frustrated im my viewpoint is that's a good thing. Too many ppl don't care or are just breezing through. Sounds like you are determined. And stubborn and part of it is going through.moments of letting out steam.
One suggestion I can offer in that situation is can u ask for the teachers notes and assign a honor roll student to dbl paper copy notes for themselves and then give to u? That's how I passed my hardest classes since a terp wasn't skilled enough for those classes.. also have an attitude where u say this is what I can do.. what can we do about the parts where it falls on the teacher's responsibility to teach you. Find a common ground to work together on. Keep putting it back on them if it fails. Don't put yourself in both positions .. just be the student who wants to excel. Fuck them if they don't take u seriously.
Best regards. Im a blue collar worker. I'd love to go back and be educated and get my degree since it's the stepping stone to make a dent in the politics and fairness of deaf accommodation. Don't give up bro.

Another thing that popped up in my head I wanted toto share is that how u proceed to resolve situations like at your school is also the beginning of training and learning how to get along and be successful at work.. at an event.. business. Family... Its not going to get easier but you can make it easier by knowing how to handle it or get through it. Many times a genuine smile and good communication by body language or interact or whatever u chose to do will get u far. Watch all the succesful ppl notice they all have a way with life. Some are charming. Some skilled speaker. Some very intellectual. It all started at home and schools development.

yep life be a bitch,i sooooooooooooo wish i made different choises but no had crystal ball....if you happy with subjects you doing then go public what about media if threaten them then surely it shame them into providing the surpport you need

Back