I embarassed myself in my ASL class

ella

Reaction score
well its not that bad ,but the teacher wanted me to tell the class something is heavy in sign language . So I did ,and the teacher was like everyone in the class is heavy? :ugh: ... yea ...I ment to say the table is heavy .. I thought you were suppose to point to everyone and then say whats heavy. Now i know not to do that.....lol

Meh. Whatever you do, just don’t sign ‘nice to fuck you’ for ‘nice to meet you’. That particular faux pas is absoluely guaranteed to provoke hysterical laughter from both the instructor and everybody in the class who happens to catch it. And somebody does it at least once every semester. :lol:

Levonian said:
Meh. Whatever you do, just don’t sign ‘nice to fuck you’ for ‘nice to meet you’. That one is guaranteed to provoke hysterical laughter from both the instructor and everybody in the class who happens to catch it. And somebody does it at least once every semester. :lol:

good advice. i remember when i was in ASL class in high school our teacher wanted us to do a play in ASL. it was pinocchio. and we were thinking of a sign name to give pinocchio and one girl said how bout this? she used the letter P put it on her nose and moved her finger out. u know, like his nose was growing. and she used P because of pinocchio, well...she was was still learning ASL so she didn't know that using the letter P on ur nose means penis, so she was signing big penis, or growing penis. and i just started cracking up. and then i told her and her face got so red.

Every student of sign language needs to remember that whatever you laugh at today could be your mistake tomorrow. :D

It happens to everyone at some time. Live and learn.

AJ said:
good advice. i remember when i was in ASL class in high school our teacher wanted us to do a play in ASL. it was pinocchio. and we were thinking of a sign name to give pinocchio and one girl said how bout this? ...
Assigning sign names is THE MOST dangerous territory for novice signers.

I thought the P handshape tapping the nose was Pee.

I'm sure I'll have several embarassing moments in class and I'll be sure to share them when they happen

cental34 said:
I thought the P handshape tapping the nose was Pee.
Yeah—I thought so too! :shock: Whenever my wife and I are in a restaurant and I need to excuse myself, I fingerspell B-R-B, and then sign ‘I need (P on the nose)’. Are you guys telling me that all this time I’ve been saying ‘I need penis’? And in public?!? :shock: :Oops:

Levonian said:
Meh. Whatever you do, just don’t sign ‘nice to fuck you’ for ‘nice to meet you’. That particular faux pas is absoluely guaranteed to provoke hysterical laughter from both the instructor and everybody in the class who happens to catch it. And somebody does it at least once every semester. :lol:

THAT IS HYSTERICAL!!! Good GOD!

Levonian said:
Yeah—I thought so too! :shock: Whenever my wife and I are in a restaurant and I need to excuse myself, I fingerspell B-R-B, and then sign ‘I need (P on the nose)’. Are you guys telling me that all this time I’ve been saying ‘I need penis’? And in public?!? :shock: :Oops:

I think pee and penis are the same sign..... I do not use this sign because I am not sure if it is is context or how you are suppost to use it, so I just say I need to go to the restroom, etc..

tegumi said:
I think pee and penis are the same sign..... I do not use this sign because I am not sure if it is is context or how you are suppost to use it, so I just say I need to go to the restroom, etc..

it is the same sign, its just how u use it in a sentence.

but i would never sign, i need pee, because yes it would look like im saying, i need penis. i always say, i need use restroom

its safer that way.

AJ said:
it is the same sign, its just how u use it in a sentence.

but i would never sign, i need pee, because yes it would look like im saying, i need penis. i always say, i need use restroom

its safer that way.

Thats what im saying...... I use the restroom or toilet sign..... :laugh2:

Levonian said:

I've seen that signed a couple of times when I was in ASL 101, its downright hilarious when the teacher sees it happen. Then teacher doesnt warn you of it at first though, because they dont want to seem like they are teaching the bad stuff on the first day of class. :D

laughing at levi oh man that so hiliarious way to say it.... :rofl:

I dont have sign for pee so i spell it out h owever when i need to go restroom i just simply say Ii need to go restroom.

Levonian said:
Whenever my wife and I are in a restaurant and I need to excuse myself, I fingerspell B-R-B, and then sign ‘I need (P on the nose)’. Are you guys telling me that all this time I’ve been saying ‘I need penis’? And in public?!? :shock: :Oops:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Levonian said:

Funny-Above.gif

I am still smiling at Lev's comment right now, but when I sign to others that I need to go to the bathroom, I just sign the word "toliet" (same as "bathroom").

I remember one coworker was trying to use the sign for "arrest" as a guy got arrested.....but she actually said the "f--k" sign. LOL I smiled and told her what she did wrong....she got embarrassed and started laughing. :)

lol years ago, my first asl class, I wanted to say "i am half english" but insted said "i am half lesbian." heh, good times...

:giggle: When I first met my father in law over 25 years ago, he would try to sign in front of my husband, which I thought was so nice. Well, one weekend, I slept over his house, and the next morning, my father in law comes into the living room. Now, I could tell he had been thinking how to sign a word. Then he remembered, it turned out to be "good morning", and you know how slow we need to sign good morning, well, he signed it so fast, I couldn't stop laughing and he turned "beet red" from embarrassement. I gave him credit for trying anyway.

i remember as a kid when my aunt was teaching how to sign, she would make days called Silent Days. where neither her or i could use our voices. complete silence. the only way to communicate was through sign language...and honestly...i HATED Silent Days. but looking back on it im glad she did that, helped me learn. she does that with her students at high school (she's ASL teacher) and her students HATE it too. sometimes i come in to visit my aunt during her class and i laugh and say...yup i hated it too...but it works

haha i guess mine doesn't sound so embarassing now, funny stories.

Back